• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Thought I would try to get a thread going to facilitate sharing of tips and tricks on reloading and reloading equipment. Interested in seeing what gems I can learn from other reloaders on here.

Some tips/tricks to try to get the ball rolling:

1) If you use a vibratory tumbler with walnut, corncob, or other media, you may not want to deprime until after cleaning the brass. That keeps from getting media stuck in the flash holes.

2) Your bottleneck rifle cases may not expand to their full headspace condition on the first firing, especially if you aren't firing a max load.

3) If you try to measure the headspace on a fired casing that has not been deprimed, you may get an inaccurate reading because the primer often gets set back a few thousandths of an inch during firing.

4) If you have both bullet and headspace comparators, you CAN accurately measure the headspace of a fired casing before depriming. Install the headspace comparator on your calipers as normal, then use the base of the bullet comparator with a bullet or headspace insert which has a hole larger than the primer, and mount on the other caliper blade. Zero it out and measure away.

5) To facilitate quickly setting up a mini-lathe type case trimmer such as the Forester original, keep a case on hand which has been trimmed to the desired length for each caliber. Insert already trimmed case in the trimmer, loosen the locking collar on the cutter, move the cutter until its just touching the already trimmed case, and move and lock down the locking collar to lock the cutter at this horizontal position.

6) If you have a set of "modified cases" for the Hornady O.A.L. gauge (used to measure the distance to the lands for a particular bullet), they can do double duty as dummy cases for setting up a case trimmer.

7) Once you have arrived at a seating depth that you want to use for a particular bullet, make an unprimed dummy round with that bullet seated to that depth. Then you can quickly return your seating die to that setting next time you want to use that type bullet.

8) The Lee Bench Plate system can be used to mount non-Lee equipment easily using a piece of 3/4" plywood cut to shape.

9) If you use a Lee Bench Plate for mounting your presses, lathe, etc to your reloading bench, replace the (4) 1/4-20 Philips screws that hold the z-brackets with (4) hex head flange bolts to facilitate quickly removing and installing presses/lathes/etc.

10) Hornady One-Shot lube can work well BUT you have to use enough AND let it dry for a few minutes before resizing.

That's all I've got for now. Anyone else?

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    When installing & adjusting new dies in a press, before locking the ring after adjustments place a 1c coin, with a hole drilled in the middle, or a suitable sized washer on the shell-holder. Then run the ram & apply a little up pressure. THEN tighten the lock ring. it trues & centers the die in the press threads.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Clean your shell holders once and awhile. The little groove for the brass's rim and the groove that goes into the ram get gunked up and will hold the case off center. Clean the ram's groove while you're at it.

On older dies, replace the knurled lock ring on the stems with a 1/4-28 nut, keep a little wrench on hand as well as a pair of pliers with padded jaws, cheap pliers with a plastic insert or at least have a piece of leather belt or something for padding the plier's jaws to loosen lock rings.

blazing lead

Nov 29, 2018
    Cecil county
    Clean your shell holders once and awhile. The little groove for the brass's rim and the groove that goes into the ram get gunked up and will hold the case off center. Clean the ram's groove while you're at it.
    To piggy back on that thought it is also a really good idea to periodically disassemble and clean you dies from time to time, the buildup of sizing lube in rifle dies can attract crud and change your adjusted settings over time.
    Pistol dies can be affected by brass shavings in the expander plug on the flare /powder through die as well. Cast bullet lube can build up in your seating die and change your seating depth as well.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    If using a single-stage press & reloading blocks invert your cases 1/2 turn after each stage. This is a good visual reference if you get distracted.
    Start primer DOWN.
    Resized & primed, primer UP.
    Powder charged, primer DOWN.
    Bullet seated, primer UP.
    Crimped, primer DOWN.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    If using a single-stage press & reloading blocks invert your cases 1/2 turn after each stage. This is a good visual reference if you get distracted.
    Start primer DOWN.
    Resized & primed, primer UP.
    Powder charged, primer DOWN.
    Bullet seated, primer UP.
    Crimped, primer DOWN.
    Ha! That would have saved on cleanup when I carefully measured individual charges and filled a whole tray of cases I hadn't yet primed.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Here's another one:

Keep a fired, not deprimed case on hand for the calibers that you load. Make sure a bullet can slide into (and out of) the case freely - a piece of very fine emery cloth rolled into a tube can be used to lightly sand inside the case if necessary to achieve this.

Then, when you're developing a new load, you can use this case to more accurately determine how well your case will be filled when using a given seating depth with a candidate powder/charge weight. Just weigh your charge, add it to the case, gently lower a bullet on top of the powder, and measure the length for a 100% case fill.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    ^^^
    Great idea I already do this but for a different, but similar reason.
    When setting up, or checking an existing setup, on my Dillon Progressive RL550b I use it to "fool" the Fail/Safe into doing a powder dump. I take 3 powder dumps weigh them as one & average it for the dispensed volumes.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    1) If you use a vibratory tumbler with walnut, corncob, or other media, you may not want to deprime until after cleaning the brass. That keeps from getting media stuck in the flash holes.
    If you use lizard bedding it is made with super fine walnut shells and does not clog the primer flash holes. It also does a better job of tumbling.
    10) Hornady One-Shot lube can work well BUT you have to use enough AND let it dry for a few minutes before resizing.

There are a lot of other lubes out there that work as good or better than one shot. Like coconut oil, lanolin, and other natural products. Google is your friend

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Just weigh your charge, add it to the case, gently lower a bullet on top of the powder, and measure the length for a 100% case fill.
    That is not necessarily 100% case fill. If the tail of the bullet extends down into the case, as many boat tails do, when the base of the bullet touches the powder there is still an empty annular ring around the bullet base. For 100% fill, you should be able to use more powder and seat the bullet tail down into the powder a little bit, displacing it upwards and around the base.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I've left the primer in some/removed it from others when tumbling cases together that have been fired a different number of times.

In other words, if I have 50 cases that have been fired 3X and 50 that have been fired 5X I'll say, knock the primers out of the 5X ones so I can separate them again after tumbling.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    I've left the primer in some/removed it from others when tumbling cases together that have been fired a different number of times.

In other words, if I have 50 cases that have been fired 3X and 50 that have been fired 5X I'll say, knock the primers out of the 5X ones so I can separate them again after tumbling.
    Good idea!

When I've deprimed before vibratory tumbling, I've used compressed air to clean out the flash holes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom