• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Is old Asian trick, from Siberia to Afghanistan.

I've read about it, but this video really clarifies the details. Thanks for posting it.

I would treat these as corrosive primers, by the way, and clean the gun accordingly.

Check this thread, which turned into a discussion of making gunpowder, fulminate, saltpeter, etc. from scratch:

starting around post 52 http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=4289081#post4289081
    through about post 68 - 70.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Interesting and useful info, may make me valuable if I get caught by Nagan's men.

I suspect matches and a matchbox will also become hard to find in a zombie apocalypse.

If you find yourself out of ammo, I'd suspect the best use of a few hand made reloads would be for hunting a deer.

noahhh

Jan 28, 2009
    Arnold,Md
    Interesting and useful info, may make me valuable if I get caught by Nagan's men.

I suspect matches and a matchbox will also become hard to find in a zombie apocalypse.

If you find yourself out of ammo, I'd suspect the best use of a few hand made reloads would be for hunting a deer.

---Right up until the deer are all gone from hungry people shooting them! Best to concentrate on gardening and save the ammo for use in protecting it.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Better yet.

Save the ammo for the humans that come after your garden. Shoot and eat the humans.

Then you can have taters aaaaand meat.

SHTF=Shooting Human Trespassers Frequently

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Easier to remanufacture primers with paper caps, two works nice, (available at Dollar General in the toy section). Make a couple and try them just so you know you can and they will work. Clean the gun afterward as for corrosive ammo.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'd prefer a how-to on how to do this with caps for my 1851 or 1860 revolvers, as not matter how big a brass rat I am, I will probably not be looking for brass in these circumstances.

Also, I wouldn't use a semi-auto pistol for this with cartridges, as I'm leery of the chemicals in the primer slam firing.

Last edited:

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Better yet.

Save the ammo for the humans that come after your garden. Shoot and eat the humans.

Then you can have taters aaaaand meat.

SHTF=Shooting Human Trespassers Frequently

According to a number of anthropological interviews with native cannibals from a variety of different tribes... the fingers are the tastiest part. I cannot verify this and make of it what you will.

I can recommend a nice cabernet/sauvignon :D

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Doesn't this kind of contradict using specific primers for specific loads(small pistol, small pistol magnum, etc etc). I understand it's a shtf scenario, but if this works without any problems, then why won't using any primer of the correct size (small, large, magnum) work?
    I reload (3 years now...still in my infancy) and use what's recommended...but my mind wonders lol.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Doesn't this kind of contradict using specific primers for specific loads(small pistol, small pistol magnum, etc etc). I understand it's a shtf scenario, but if this works without any problems, then why won't using any primer of the correct size (small, large, magnum) work?
    I reload (3 years now...still in my infancy) and use what's recommended...but my mind wonders lol.

No sir. Not in my opinion.

What we know from this video is that the experiment "worked". The used primer was filled with a match head and striker mix. That combination was made to ignite a powder charge. The cartridge was made to go "bang". Could presumably be made to work in a SHTF situation, which I suppose was the point of the video.

Beyond that, we don't really know much of anything. We don't know what factory powder was poured out of the case. Available to hand loaders, or a factory exclusive? We don't know anything about whether or not the same experiment conducted in the same way would produce the same result with other cartridges and other powders. We don't know how the load performed, what velocities were achieved, what deviation existed between the test rounds. We have no idea what pressures were produced, how completely the powder burned, where pressure curves fell in relation to SAAMI specs, whether the resulting load would be deemed "safe" at 20degrees and 100 degrees, or how performance may have differed given a "little bit less" or a "little bit more" priming compound. What we have here is the introduction of completely untested variables, and a whole lot of unknown.

There's a reason for ballistics labs. There's also a reason why they make standard and magnum primers. For my purposes, I don't need to be a chemist or a physicist or a ballistics expert. I am none of these. What I DO need to be IMO is a follower of lab tested and industry certified load combinations. These are the combinations that have been tested on equipment I don't possess, and that have been deemed to produce desired results by people who are a whole lot better equipped and a whole lot smarter in this area than I am. What the lab's work yields are tested and known and quantifiable results. Results other than simply "it went bang".

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Concur... I don't think that anyone is advocating that this is the way things should be done... only that it is possible if extreme need arises. Since primers are often thought of as the hardest to get element in the reloading equation (i.e. you can make your own projectiles and powder... well at least black powder), it is nice to know that there is an option for the primer issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom