• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I recently placed an order with AIM. While I was in my account, I looked at some of the older orders. Things sure change in a relatively short time!

Attachments

• Nagant.jpg
      Nagant.jpg
      38.9 KB · Views: 669

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    ah... those were the days....

Attachments

• old gas prices.jpg
      old gas prices.jpg
      21.3 KB · Views: 613

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Anyone old enough to remember the barrel of rifles at Sunny Surplus. I was too young to buy them, but I remember seeing 1903, 1903 a3, and mauser rifles sitting in a barrel. I probably wasn't but 6-8 years old. But back then, Sunny Surplus was a great place for a kid that age in the 60's to see all of the "Army " stuff. I can remember seeing an 8 ft tall missile/rocket in the store (not for sale). But the thing that I drooled over was the 6ft long Ma Deuce skeletonized rifle in the window. I believe it was a training tool. I can remember walking past that thing and having to stop and just stare at it for as long as Mom would allow.

I have such fond memories of that place.

offthepaper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 7, 2007
    Harford County
    Anyone old enough to remember the barrel of rifles at Sunny Surplus. I was too young to buy them, but I remember seeing 1903, 1903 a3, and mauser rifles sitting in a barrel. I probably wasn't but 6-8 years old. But back then, Sunny Surplus was a great place for a kid that age in the 60's to see all of the "Army " stuff. I can remember seeing an 8 ft tall missile/rocket in the store (not for sale). But the thing that I drooled over was the 6ft long Ma Deuce skeletonized rifle in the window. I believe it was a training tool. I can remember walking past that thing and having to stop and just stare at it for as long as Mom would allow.

Are you speaking of the store in Highlandtown? There was another store in Essex I used to go in when I was young. Yes, those were the days. Honest to goodness Govt surplus.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Are you speaking of the store in Highlandtown? There was another store in Essex I used to go in when I was young. Yes, those were the days. Honest to goodness Govt surplus.

We used to go to the store in Towson. I remember watching the inventory changing and gong down hill. I use fit buy a ton of "stuff" there. I was sorry to see it go.

Sampson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 24, 2013
    White Marsh
    Just pick up an old copy of Shotgun News if you really want to be depressed. SKS for like $200. M1 carbine under $400. Mosins for $100. 22LR for 3 cents a round.
    I remember very well when we bought sks's and Mak90's for less than $100 . I shot some 22 just a few years ago, that had a price of .99 on a box of 50.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

Yes, that's the one. Highlandtown and the Avenue.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Ya I remember going to Harrisburg in the 90s, Turk Mausers for $30 with bayo, Mosin M44s in the mummy wrap $55, Enfields $100 in the wrap, MAS in the wrap $100. Mak 90s $200.

Walked out with a Mosin, a Turk and a MAS. Was a poor college student or I would have had one of each.

As a general PSA when you look down at crates of guns like P64s for $200 each etc. You might just want to grab a few, who knows what they will be worth or how much you will need to pay when you get the bug.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I was unfortunate enough to be born too late to enjoy the cheap $30 surplus rifles of the 1990's but I remember going through the Silverado and Sportsmans shows in Frederick and Howard county around 2005-2007 and being amazed at all of the Mosin Nagants, Yugo/RC/Turk Mausers, SKS and Enfields for $150 or less but even then I was too young to walk out with any. I guess I caught the tail end of the great (maybe not as great as you older guys remember at shows in the 80's/90's) local MD shows but I'm glad I got a taste of what they felt like.

I'll never forget how happy I was when I opened my Christmas presents when I was in 9th grade and found my first surplus rifle; an M44 w/ laminate stock that my mom had picked up from Lou's for $110 OTD

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    Not a Ma Duce but.....

. But the thing that I drooled over was the 6ft long Ma Deuce skeletonized rifle in the window. I believe it was a training tool. I can remember walking past that thing and having to stop and just stare at it for as long as Mom would allow.

I have such fond memories of that place.

It's not a Ma Duce but, last year I bought a M1918a2 (browning BAR). It is a 2x scale armorers training model. I picked it up at the local auction house for what I think was a really good price.
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=183396

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    :D

I didn't go for hand-pick, but was very happy nevertheless!

Attachments

• nagant.jpg
      nagant.jpg
      14.9 KB · Views: 329

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    The Nagant Revolver was my first C&R purchased online from SOG.
    Funny thing is I debated with my self over it....
    The jump in most everything has been drastic since I started 3 years ago. I don't expect it to be so drastic in the next 3 years but what do I know.
    3 years ago you could still find a Mosin sniper, Steyr 95, Nagant revolver, CZ82 & P38

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    I'll never forget how happy I was when I opened my Christmas presents when I was in 9th grade and found my first surplus rifle; an M44 w/ laminate stock that my mom had picked up from Lou's for $110 OTD

Yeah!! my best Christmas ever. Got a K98 Mauser from the Sears catalog when I was 10 yo. My parents hid it behind the couch and wrapped a box of 8mm ammo which I was instructed to open last. Went from this :sad20: to this :D in a NY second.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Steyr 95's were pretty cheap only a few years ago. Can't even find one now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ugh.... I was at a PA gun show, 7 or 8 years ago, and a table had "painted stock" low-grade Steyr's for $50 each. I should've bought a crate, just for the parts value.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I was unfortunate enough to be born too late to enjoy the cheap $30 surplus rifles of the 1990's but I remember going through the Silverado and Sportsmans shows in Frederick and Howard county around 2005-2007 and being amazed at all of the Mosin Nagants, Yugo/RC/Turk Mausers, SKS and Enfields for $150 or less but even then I was too young to walk out with any. I guess I caught the tail end of the great (maybe not as great as you older guys remember at shows in the 80's/90's) local MD shows but I'm glad I got a taste of what they felt like.

Glad I was a part of your Christmas and your 1st milsurp. I don't remember if she picked that out for you or if she went with one of my recommendations. Either way, it wazza' nice gun.:D:lol::party29:

Most likely you were in the shop at an earlier day with her and you prolly picked it out without knowing it was going to show up under the tree.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Glad I was a part of your Christmas and your 1st milsurp. I don't remember if she picked that out for you or if she went with one of my recommendations. Either way, it wazza' nice gun.:D:lol::party29:

Most likely you were in the shop at an earlier day with her and you prolly picked it out without knowing it was going to show up under the tree.

I remember we went into the shop beforehand and I was thinking about how cool it was that it was used in WW2 and had a folding bayonet.

Technically I got 2 Milsurps that Christmas. We'd gone into the Gunshack before coming down to your place. I mainly wanted a K98k and the Gunshack had a Yugo M48 that I thought was German since I literally knew nothing about them at the time. My parents went in to get it one day, and when I opened the box later they said "the one I wanted was gone, but we got one that looked sorta similar but was nicer". Turns out it was a Romanian Refurb Vz.24

Before I knew they got the Mauser, I kept telling them the Mosin-Nagant "Only costs $100" and low and behold that was the first of the 2 rifles I opened up that day.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    I recall going into Woolworths at Security Square Mall-late '70s early '80 and seeing a rack of cosmoline encrusted SKS's I think they were around $169 at the time -can you believe it? Woolworths sold guns at that time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom