• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    tvblog.png

I want an 870 to play with. I'd like to start with a basic shotgun with a barrel with screw chokes. This way I can return it to original condition from any modifications. The tricky part seems to be the extended magazine. There are mag extensions for 870's but I read that a stop prevents the shells from going beyond the original magazine. If I choose the 870 tac with the integrated extended mag, will the bird barrels still fit?

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    I don't think any of the barrels for the standard mag tube will fit the extended factory tube. But maybe they make some type of spacer/sleeve to do it.

The internal stop thing must not be correct. You can get long extension tubes that would hold shells past that point.

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    I have the 870 express tactical with the factory full length mag tube. It won't take any other barrels.

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    Take a look at Rem870.com and the forum there. Lots of great info on the 870 platform. I recall lots of discussion about the stop as well as how to fix that problem.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The stops are an easy fix. Adding a tube extension is a snap after that. I put a tube extension on my 870 Express Super Mag and the standard bird barrel fits just fine.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    The problem is with newer 870s with the dimples at the end of the standard length factory magazine tube. Older guns do not have this issue.

To use an extended magazine tube on a newer 870, the dimples must be ironed out so that the magazine follower and additional shells can go past the end of the OEM tube and go up into the extension.

A search online will provide several methods of removing the dimples and after that, the extended mag tube is quite easy to screw on or off.

Publius

Mar 18, 2013
    Ellicott City
    If you start with a new police model with extension, those for sure come with no dimples. If you don't want to modify anything, that's the way to go. The caveat of this solution is that it's a bit pricey. The police models often run north of $600. Search on gunbroker for "870 police" for all the different models.

rlc2

Nov 22, 2014
    left coast
    870 with ectended mag tips

I agree with others, just get a new or used one with extended mag.

It should come with an 18" no choke bbl that is your basi home defense. Unsrew one screw and tge barrel retaining ring and you can swap barrels. Sometimes they were sold with two barrels, wingmaster for ducks and upland birds, to swap with 18".

A wooden dowel cut to size, slipped inside mag spring limits loading to two shells in mag in 3 round max hunting capacity states.

You can buy additional bbls from Rem, and I think Mossy makes a couple too. I'm guessing they have choked versions, check the site.

Last edited:

Selene

Nov 18, 2012
    Don't buy the tactical because you will have issues with other barrels. Just buy one with a regular length tube and remove the dimples. Its simple and won't devalue ythe gun at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom