• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I came into possession of a 1920's era Remington Model 11 in 12 gauge. Originally, I was going to strip it of parts (forearm, butt plate, bolt, springs, etc. are all in good shape) and used the receiver and barrel to practice bluing (it's covered in light/moderate surface rust and light pitting).

However, after looking at it closely, it seems that the only thing wrong with the gun outside of the rust/pitting is that the cartridge lifter (carrier?) will not move on it's own to lift a cartridge (as if there is no spring pressure) and the bolt won't hold open. I tried putting a snap cap in the magazine to load it, and while the mag took the round, it took manual manipulation of the bolt and moving the carrier with a finger to get the cap to load into the gun.

I know that the screws on the exterior are designed to keep home gunsmiths from messing with the internals, but I would still like to repair it myself. I believe that I will need at least a carrier spring (MidwayUSA has them) but the lack of a bolt hold open leads me to think something else is wrong.

Anyone have any experience bringing one of these back to life?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I can't help you but I want to wish you the best of luck with your project.

Pictures would be nice too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom