• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • monstarr

Feb 9, 2012
    Baltimore
    Hey guys i just picked up a Remington model 11 and a Stevens model 58 bolt action in a trade the other day and was wondering what if any experiences you have with these shotguns. The blueing is pretty much not on the model 11 but I think I love her. I love the design! I have no idea what she's worth but am wondering is it a good idea to try and have her refinished or not. Any advice?

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      57.2 KB · Views: 292

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Terrible gun! You should give it to me immediately!!!:D

They are wonderful gun based on a browning A5. I have 3 A5's and a Savage that looks just like your model 11.

monstarr

Feb 9, 2012
    Baltimore
    So I shouldn't try and refinish it? I traded 180 rnds of .308, 48 9mm and 300 .22lr for both guns. Not sure if that's a good deal but I thought so. I have no use what it's worth but old guns make me happy.

Kinetic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 4, 2013
    Any scroll work on the 11?

Mine has 3 pheasants on the right of the receiver and 3 ducks on the left with "The Sportsman" engraved above the ducks.

Nice gun (mine's a 16). The faded bluing is the story of that gun's long history, IMHO. I think you got a good deal.

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    Any scroll work on the 11?

Mine has 3 pheasants on the right of the receiver and 3 ducks on the left with "The Sportsman" engraved above the ducks.

Nice gun (mine's a 16). I think you got a good deal.

Sounds like my 20 ga. -2 each side.

Attachments

• Sportsman2.jpg
      Sportsman2.jpg
      42.8 KB · Views: 247
    • Sportsman7.jpg
      Sportsman7.jpg
      45.6 KB · Views: 243

Kinetic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 4, 2013
    That's neat, crabs. Now I have to take pics of mine to post!

monstarr

Feb 9, 2012
    Baltimore
    My bad eyes can't see any scroll work. I'll take a pic and blow it up when I dig her out later. That 20 is sweet. Mine is a 12. It's amazing how well this action is built. It's function seems flawless considering its age

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Op, I wouldn't refinish it at all, I think honest wear gives an old gun character but that is only my opinion. It isn't overly valuable so refinishing wouldn't hurt value much. They are just really reliable good shooters!

Kinetic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 4, 2013
    Sounds like my 20 ga. -2 each side.

That's what is great about these old guns.

I wonder how these engravings were made. Obviously not CNC.

Compare the rocks in front of and behind the central pheasant on both of these guns, for example. Although similar, they are not identical.

I envision some old Geppeto type fellow sitting in a poorly lit room in Ilion during the Depression wielding a 2 lb. etcher carving these from a standard pattern, possibly.

It isn't too common these days to have art and functionality in a form you can carry around and put food on the table, as well.

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    Hey guys i just picked up a Remington model 11 and a Stevens model 58 bolt action in a trade the other day and was wondering what if any experiences you have with these shotguns. The blueing is pretty much not on the model 11 but I think I love her. I love the design! I have no idea what she's worth but am wondering is it a good idea to try and have her refinished or not. Any advice?

Your Model 11 appears to be the same version as mine. I inherited my gun from my grandfather, when I was about 13 years old. Growing up in IL, I used it as an upland bird gun for years until I was able to afford a 12 ga Browning Auto 5. Many a pheasant felt lead from my Model 11.

Attachments

• DSC_6489.jpg
      DSC_6489.jpg
      51.5 KB · Views: 243
    • DSC_6490.jpg
      DSC_6490.jpg
      53.1 KB · Views: 150

Kinetic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 4, 2013
    Nice piece, Fred.

You and Crab's gun have checkered furniture and 1 bird per side while mine has plain wood and 3 birds.

Also, mine has "Remington/Trade Mark" while yours have "Remington/Reg. U. S. Pat. Off."

Different grades? Different manufacturing eras? Also, mine has a letter at the beginning of the S/N.

Neat stuff.

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    the "engraving" is roll stamped on the Model 11, it is a conteporary of the Browning Auto 5 both being made from about the same time on the same patents with John Brownings blessing. If your 20 gauge has a roll stamp is is later, earlier 20's will have plain receivers.
    20's also came later, in the 30's. Earlier 12's & 16's will have one of 2 versions of the safety in the trigger guard.
    They are great guns.
    I also wouldnt re finish it.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I have my grandfather's 1928 Model 11. He traded an outboard motor for it around 1948-1950. According to my dad, pops cracked the foregrip on his first shot. Since, the Model 11 has killed a many dozen deer until he thought it was too heavy and bought an Ithaca 37. I'm pretty sure the full choke is worn but it still shoots, crack and all.

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    My Dad gave me a 16ga. Model 11 in about 1961,It was my first Shotgun ...Chipped Heal on the Stock, My First Stock Repair! It And Dad's 1897 Winchester Are Still in the Back of My Safe . Sweet Shooters Both and Priceless to Me!

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    Mine's in rougher shape.

Lost track of this thread. Mine is in good shape because it has a case. It also has initials on the stock. My dad bought it used and I don't know the history outside of looking it up to find it was made in 1942.

Attachments

• Sportsman4.jpg
      Sportsman4.jpg
      31 KB · Views: 179
    • Sportsman9.jpg
      Sportsman9.jpg
      34.1 KB · Views: 171

monstarr

Feb 9, 2012
    Baltimore
    How can I tell exactly when it was manufactured? Mine lacks the scrollwork and looks as if it has ended the lives of many a critter in its day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom