• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I see one traveling around all the local shows for 1200 in 300 Savage. Seen it at least 3 times. I just really don't want a Savage caliber.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    I see one traveling around all the local shows for 1200 in 300 Savage. Seen it at least 3 times. I just really don't want a Savage caliber.

What do you have against the Savage 300, it's almost identical to the 308 Winchester?
    The reason you keep seeing it is because it's probably over priced. Unless it is mint or seriously unmolested, which after this length of time, is not too likely.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Picked up on GB a couple days ago.
    1922 Model 8 in .35 Rem - the description on GB was wrong, it is a 1922 model based on serial number, not a 1920 as advertised
    No holes drilled in it, no dents in barrel shroud, stock and hand guard original and not refinished.
    Should be picking it up at J2 Tuesday

Looks good !!

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    What do you have against the Savage 300, it's almost identical to the 308 Winchester?
    The reason you keep seeing it is because it's probably over priced. Unless it is mint or seriously unmolested, which after this length of time, is not too likely.

I don't know about overpriced anymore. I've seen plenty of less-than-perfect examples hammer for over $1k on GB lately. I've seen folks putting up horribly molested ones for $800-900 and selling them for those prices. The cachet of the 8/81 has really exploded recently. All things JMB are desirable at the moment.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Thanks guys.

Goofing around on eBay and came across this today.
    A steel Model 8/81 stripper clip going for >$242.
    Not even an early brass one!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 2.09.00 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 2.09.00 PM.jpg
      47.2 KB · Views: 144

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD

Simple I don't want to own odd calibers.

This may not be a choice if I want an 8 or an 81.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Picked up on GB a couple days ago.
    1922 Model 8 in .35 Rem - the description on GB was wrong, it is a 1922 model based on serial number, not a 1920 as advertised
    No holes drilled in it, no dents in barrel shroud, stock and hand guard original and not refinished.
    Should be picking it up at J2 Tuesday

Nice find! :thumbsup: I've thought about picking up a few Model 8's to go with my collection of Winchester Self Loading Rifles. I've got the WSL's in 4 different calibers.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    So of the calibers these are available in which is most readily available? The ammunition that is.

.35 Rem and .300 Savage are the easiest to get commercially.

.25 Remington, .30 Remington, and .32 Remington are all obsolete and out of production where mainstream availability is concerned. You can get it occasionally from places like Buffalo Arms, but it's expensive. Used brass often runs $1/round or more just for fired casings on the secondary market place. All three used the same case, just the neck dimensions are different. Reloading dies can be expensive and difficult to come by as well.

Both .35 Rem and .300 Savage are both fairly common chamberings in production rifles today. Remington, Henry, Savage, Marlin, and TC all chamber arms in either one or both of these cartridges and they're still widely used in both the north-east, south, and parts of the upper mid-west (you'll find a lot of Model 8/81s in .35 and .300 both in Michigan, especially in the Detroit area).

The advantage to .300 Savage over .35 Rem is that you can reform .308 range pickups to .300 Savage very easily, though it takes quite a bit of neck trimming I'm told. You can also convert .308 to .35 Rem, but it takes several more steps and multiple sizing dies along with the need to be careful not to belt the case in the process.

That said, around here, I tend to find far more range-pickup .35 Rem than .300 Savage, but that's probably because I frequent a range that is filled with Fudds sighting in antique deer rifles. :D

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Who is chambering a factory new production rifle in 300 Savage today?

The mess that is 2020 aside, both 300 Savage and 35 Remington ammo are best bought when you see it available. Not sure that "Seasonal Run" is technically correct, because it seems I'll see it at different times of the year. But there isn't a year that goes by that somebody isn't looking, and having trouble finding it. It's out there, but get what you need, and then get some more when you see it.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    A couple of days ago Midway had .35 REM Remington in stock. Got two boxes. Went back this afternoon to order more and they were out. Always available on GunBroker at a premium.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    I've not had problems getting 300 Savage, but I don't shoot it a lot, but having 3 rifles chambered for it I try to keep it in my rotation. I also have the dies to reload, component availability willing...
    When I see it at shows or online at a decent price I buy it. This can lead to a 'stockpiling' situation, but that is a situation I'm willing to fight.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Nice looking 1925, .35cal Model 8 on GB. 1 day left, @ $800 now

I just happened to be browsing and came across a nice looking .35 cal Model 8 with checkering on stock and fore grip - I still think it's a 8A - Standard though.

Doesn't look like a dealer selling it. About one day left and it's still under $1K

I have no ties nor do I know the seller - just passing info along -it's taking all my self control not to bid on it myself but I just bought one.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/886711644

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 6.33.38 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 6.33.38 PM.jpg
      47.3 KB · Views: 144

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Of note on tang sights per the previous post to mine. Of the two most common tang sights, it should be noted that windage on Lyman sights can only be adjusted through the use of shims at the base of the sight whereas Marbles sights can be adjusted by turning a knob/screw. With the Lyman, once it's set, it's set, and should be fine barring any heavy impacts, but it's something to think about when bidding. If you can find a Marbles sight vs Lyman for a similar price, the Marbles is the better of the two by all accounts.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Of note on tang sights per the previous post to mine. Of the two most common tang sights, it should be noted that windage on Lyman sights can only be adjusted through the use of shims at the base of the sight whereas Marbles sights can be adjusted by turning a knob/screw. With the Lyman, once it's set, it's set, and should be fine barring any heavy impacts, but it's something to think about when bidding. If you can find a Marbles sight vs Lyman for a similar price, the Marbles is the better of the two by all accounts.

How much would one expect to spend on either ??

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

Mawkie probably knows more precisely than I do. I was looking at an early Model 8 a few weeks ago on GB. No external magazine leaf springs with a Lyman tang sight. It hammered for $804, which was just a hair too much for the condition the gun was in overall. Lots of bluing loss on it, but the wood and everything else was fine. I've seen Lyman sights listed for up to $250 on their own, but that's way too high and I've never seen one sell at that price point. Usually, $100-ish seems to be the proper ballpark.

The Marbles sights command a premium. Mawkie was watching a Model 81 in fantastic condition that had one on it. Hammer was $800 for the whole package, but with vig and sales tax, that came out to $958 or so, which seems about right.

I've seen some crazy expensive listings on GB lately for standard ones with tang sights, but nobody's really touching them. A reasonable price for an 8 or 81 right now seems to sit anywhere from $625 on the low end for a beater shooter (drilled and tapped for scope, screwed up wood, or dinged up barrel jacket) to $1200+ for some of the nicer specimens with things like tang sights or standard sights with finer wood and checkering. Simpson LTD has one for $7500 with ALL the bells and whistles. They'll eventually get close to that for it.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois

I have been looking for one for months. Mostly on GB.

Early Model 8A's in good condition in .35 Rem are going for right around $1K.

Every now and then a 8C will come up on GB and if in good condition, will go for even more. I haven't seen a D, E, or F come up other than at high end auction houses.

The one I posted yesterday is up to $880 with a little over 4 hours to go. If it goes for less than $1K I'll be surprised. It is a 1925 model A with the optional checkering in what appears to be pretty good shape. Additionally, it does not have a XX3 repair code stamped next to the date code so it has never been sent back to Remington for repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom