• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbuck

May 26, 2009
    What is the best way to correct some loads that are not up to spec. I mean how or what is the best way to take a loaded bullet apart? I have a kenetic puller but the though of smacking it on a hard surface just does not seem right to me.

Thanks for the help.

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    What is the best way to correct some loads that are not up to spec. I mean how or what is the best way to take a loaded bullet apart? I have a kenetic puller but the though of smacking it on a hard surface just does not seem right to me.

Thanks for the help.

The fact that taking a loaded cartridge, putting it into a fancy hammer, and smashing it against a hard surface makes you a little nervous means that you are a rational human being. However, rest assured that a kinetic puller is a tried-and-true method of salvaging components. Also, using a kinetic puller on a few hundred rounds is a good way to encourage you to not make the same reloading mistakes twice.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    The kinetic puller is a very safe design. You are not striking the primer at all, which is where the fun would begin.
    I have pulled several bullets this way with no issue. Just be sure to clean up the powder that flies around. A dust pan and broom are recommended by the powder manufacturers. The powder makes good lawn fertilizer.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    The fact that taking a loaded cartridge, putting it into a fancy hammer, and smashing it against a hard surface makes you a little nervous means that you are a rational human being. However, rest assured that a kinetic puller is a tried-and-true method of salvaging components. Also, using a kinetic puller on a few hundred rounds is a good way to encourage you to not make the same reloading mistakes twice.

Man oh man, isn't that the truth!

ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    I've been using the kenetic puller for a while now and have had no problems. If they are my reloading mistakes (and usually they are) I am usually able to salvage the powder, bullet and brass.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Kinetic boolit pullers work great!!!!!!!!! (Don't ask me how I know.....)

Also, since I'm more than OCD with 'stuff', I shoved a thick piece of cotton into the bottom of the puller, to lessen any damage to the pulled boolitnose.

One of the soft, spongy foam earplugs would work very well, too.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Losing a digit or two is a small price to pay for recovered components.

J-K Whack away.

And 6 lighter whacks is better and safer than 1 huge whack.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Just make sure the "hard surface" is the end of a piece of 4x4 or something similar and not a concrete floor (if you want to keep your hammer intact).

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

A Kinetic Hammer is the way to go...

At one time I had 600+ 45ACP's loaded & in stock, then...

I bought a new & "better" (tighter) pistol & the old load would NOT cycle the new gun...

I salvaged all the brass, 95% of the bullet heads & 90% most of the powder...

It just took some time...

Doug S

Trufflehunter
    Jan 21, 2013
    The fact that taking a loaded cartridge, putting it into a fancy hammer, and smashing it against a hard surface makes you a little nervous means that you are a rational human being.
    :party29: +1 million interwebs!

I echo everyone else tho, nothing wrong w/ kinetic pullers!

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    I remember being a little nervous using a kinetic puller for the first time too, especially to find out just how many whacks it takes to dislodge a crimped round. It's perfectly safe, but sure is a PITA.

DocSavage

The Man of Bronze
    May 30, 2012
    Crofton
    Now I have two of these, one rifle and one pistol, though I don't know why because it seems like they are never set the right way for what I need to do...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/851547/hornady-cam-lock-bullet-puller?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Anywho, the inertial bullet puller - or "bullet whacker thingy" is a very technical device requiring years of experience or at least a technical video for training.

http://youtu.be/DzGgGYihXAw

Yeah, that's right... Be amazed at my mad skills!

Cheers,

Doc

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    . :wtf:

You have any data to back that up ????

Heaven forbid the bullet come out on the first wack. :crazy:

Nope!

But I do have an RCBS bullet puller with a broken handle because I tried one huge whack instead of 6 lighter whacks.

The user's manual even says to use more and lighter whacks.

Still gets the job done and things don't break.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    That's interesting my Quinices Instructions don't say that.

Instructions for Use

1. ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES WHILE USING THE BULLET PULLER.

2. Loosen cap until chuck inside of cap accommodates round for easy entry. Insert and rotate cartridge until chuck engages cartridge cannelure or comes into solid contact with rim of rimmed cartridge. 3. Tighten Bullet Puller Cap.

4. Rap Bullet Puller against a hard, solid, non-metallic surface-cap end up, gripping handle mainly with thumb and forefinger. Easy extraction results from handle shaft being PARALLEL to the surface struck AT THE MOMENT OF IMPACT. Thus, the plastic head and cartridge within are PERPENDICULAR to the striking surface. This protects plastic "head" against breakage, along with providing ease of bullet extraction. 5. If more than one "Rap" is necessary to extract the bullet, retighten cap after each rap.

6. When the bullet has been pulled just twist the cap open approximately 1/4 turn, and lightly tap cap end on the bottom of a receptacle. Case, powder and bullet will drop out of the puller into the receptacle.

If this puller breaks for any reason while in service, return to us with $14.50 for postage and handling charges and we will replace the broken bullet puller, which features our patented "New Twist" Chuck Assembly.

Contact us in Marble Falls, Texas, for our state-of-the-art Ultimate Kinetic ® Bullet Puller that makes reloading ammunition easier!

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Just make sure the "hard surface" is the end of a piece of 4x4 or something similar and not a concrete floor (if you want to keep your hammer intact).
    The cement floor is exactly what works best for me. There is far less 'give' compared to wood yields a more elastic collision and more inertia imparted to the bullet. Plus it is alot quieter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom