• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    I'm looking to cut recoil a bit on my 300BLK AR. It's not a problem for me as I'm a pretty big guy, but for newer or smaller shooters it can be pretty intimidating. Since I'm likely to go shooting with some newbies soon, I'd like to make my AR a little more friendly.

It's a 10.5" 300BLK with pistol length gas and I use a full auto PSA BCG.

Are there any buffer weight/spring combinations that work particularly well?

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I use the Hydraulic buffers in a few Beltfed ARs and 7.62 X 39 ARs makes a good bit of difference !

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    What ammo are you shooting out of the 300?

All supersonics. My hunting/HD ammo is Barnes black tip (110gr) or Remington Hog Hunter (130gr). My range ammo is mainly 147/150gr FMJ from Freedom Munitions with a little 147gr PNW thrown in. No subs...yet.

Haven't had issues with short stroking and virtually no FTEs. So reliability isn't a huge concern. Just want it to stop mule kicking so much.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Is it a pistol length barrel? Most using pistol length barrels (or rifle length with pistol gas) with supersonic ammo are using H2 buffers.. this will slow the recoil impulse a bit and probably not hurt reliability with supersonic ammo at all. The other option would be an adjustable gas block, but that's a little more pricey and involved than just a heavier buffer.

ETA - oops, just reread your OP.. I would try a heavier buffer first with that setup..

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Adjustable gas, /thread.

Being a 10.5" barrel, you'll want adjustable gas when you inevitably suppress it.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Simplest fix is a muzzle brake. Second simplest is to add weight although on a pistol your options are limited.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    Simplest fix is a muzzle brake. Second simplest is to add weight although on a pistol your options are limited.

Already have a muzzle break, but I often use a thread on linear compensator, so the recoil isn't helped any. I was thinking of adding a tougher spring and a much heavier buffer.

I currently have a 3oz buffer and a standard spring. Been seeing options to upgrade both. Seemed to me like there were a decent number of avenues.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Yeah, been thinking about that too. Haven't looked into it at all though. Is it easy to add adjustable gas to a new non-adjustable setup?

Not difficult, provided the muzzle device isn't pinned/welded in place.

Retrofitting most upper groups to an adjustable gas setup isn't very difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom