Replacing a pinned and welded flash hider?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spatchcock

Sep 7, 2015
    I have been looking at purchasing a LWRC Tricon rifle. I believe they are MD-legal and when I handled one I very much enjoyed the ergonomics. Yes, I know they are expensive but I wouldn't have to do anything else to it - except for maybe one thing.

I would like to eventually be able to put a suppressor on it. To do so I would have to replace the pinned and welded flash hider with something that would allow attachment. Googling this gives me varied answers, including some people who say it is not legal in Maryland, though the new one could be welded as well, so I am not sure why they state that.

How hard and/or expensive is the replacement? Are there gunsmiths around the DC area who do this?

There are a few around with AAC51Ts put on by the factory, but they seem somewhat rare.

Thanks.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    You should be able to legally have a smith replace the existing flash hider with one capable of QD mounting a suppressor to the weapon, as long as the new flash hider got your oal to 16" or over on the bbl and it would have to be permanently attached as well. The cost should not be that great from a gunsmith, it's pretty simple to remove and replace a pinned and welded FH.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Not sure if they've fixed it recently but in the past LWRCI guns did not play well with suppressors.

Now, for the actual question it is legal for a gunsmith to remove a pinned and welded muzzle device to replace it with another pinned and welded muzzle device.

I'd recommend Chad (if he's still smithing) Bollingers, Brian at South Carroll Sporting Goods and then Adco.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I've seen some mixed reviews on 3 lug connectors. POI changes, end cap and baffle strikes etc. You would want to know you have a good one before you welded it on.

spatchcock

Sep 7, 2015
    Thanks for the comments. It looks like it is at least a possibility. Time to keep an eye out for the right rifle now.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It depends on the suppressor mounting.

I stay away from the "quick detach" ones.

I like the ThunderBeast setup, where there is a muzzle brake or flash suppressor that the suppressor threads onto. Very repeatable zero and great alignment.

WHy not contact LRWC and see if you they will take the mount/flash suppressor and pin/weld it on for you, THEN ship to an MD FFL for transfer?

Just a suggestion, seeing as I just made an LWRC purchase a week ago.

The Tricon does NOT have an adjustable gas block for suppressed fire. I bought the IC Enhanced because it does. Being able to change the pressure with the turn of a knob for suppressed fire is a nice option. So considering that you do plan on using a suppressor, I'd say give it a look.

Also, I got mine from Atlantic Guns in Silver Spring. And they stated they would be able to thread and modify the barrel for a suppressor when I am ready. And for the record, I have had them thread several barrels before and never had a problem.

spatchcock

Sep 7, 2015
    Pinecone, I haven't seen the ThunderBeast setup before. I'll take a look. I don't know that LWRC still sells the model I am looking for. I do see it for sale at some dealers and on GunBroker from previous years.

spatchcock

Sep 7, 2015
    d33rhunt3r, thanks. I have seen that model. I really liked the stock and trigger on the Tricon. I don't know when I would get to the point of adding a suppressor but I want to make sure that is at least an option. I have seen references to suppressed Tricons online - from what I understand they may need a heavier buffer to run well.

d33rhunt3r, thanks. I have seen that model. I really liked the stock and trigger on the Tricon. I don't know when I would get to the point of adding a suppressor but I want to make sure that is at least an option. I have seen references to suppressed Tricons online - from what I understand they may need a heavier buffer to run well.

That's what it looks like. I did learn that adding an adjustable gas block means basically taking off the entire front half of the rifle to fit it.

I see the Tricon trigger is a Geissele, which you can purchase separately, FYI

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Pinecone, I haven't seen the ThunderBeast setup before. I'll take a look. I don't know that LWRC still sells the model I am looking for. I do see it for sale at some dealers and on GunBroker from previous years.

Here is the TB flash suppressor.

https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/cb-flash-hider

They come with a muzzle break, but will substitute the flash suppressor for the muzzle brake when you order a CB series suppressor.

Or Vince at Duffy's will hook you up. They can also thread your barrel, and probably can remove a pinned/welded device.

spatchcock

Sep 7, 2015
    d33rhunt3r, thanks. I know I can replace the trigger, I just kind of want to make one purchase and be done. Probably takes the fun out of it, but I am lazy these days.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I don't understand why removing a pinned/welded muz. device should be an issue. What if you pinned and welded it yourself? What difference would it make? Suppose you wanted to convert you carbine into a pistol?:shrug:

Wanting is OK, converting is illegal.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I don't understand why removing a pinned/welded muz. device should be an issue. What if you pinned and welded it yourself? What difference would it make? Suppose you wanted to convert you carbine into a pistol?:shrug:

Unless it was originally built as a pistol, it is illegal to convert a carbine or rifle into a pistol.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Fed law.

You can take the barrel and remove the muzzle device and install on a different firearm as a pistol.

But if the firearm starts as a rifle, it CAN NOT legally be made into a pistol.

SBR yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom