• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    I have to head back down to the range to finish sighting in my hunting rifle.

I have used shooting bags in the past, but with these I can't seem to get the rifle high enough to where I feel comfortable.

So I'm looking for a new system for the range.

Would a rest or bipod be best?

ASM80

Mar 10, 2012
    Hereford, MD
    I was wondering this myself after fumbling around with a cheap rest at the range. I stopped mid magazine and wondered if a bipod would work better.

Input would be great.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    When I use bags and the rifle is too low, I get a couple of the technical books I always keep in the truck and put them under the front bag. If you want a bipod and you have the front sling mount on your rifle, the Caldwell bipods from Midway are decent for the price.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    bipods are fine but not as sturdy as bags.. i too have similar problem when sigthing my rifles using bags.. either i have to push the rifle almost to the front of the table to get comfy. if im lucky.. the range i go, have couple of tables made for tall people.. (higher table where i dont strain my back).

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

I like shooting from bi-pods...

It's "real world" shooting...

You really want to train to shoot from a bu-pod...

If push ever comes to shove, bi-pods attached to your rifle will be there when you need them...

Meanwhile a rest is just something else to carry to the range...

Hope this is helpful..!

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I used a bipod for the first time yesterday, I really like it, better than shooting off bags for me.

highfructosecornsyrup

Apr 2, 2012
    baltimore city
    I use a bipod on my stag. It has a quick release on it with a hand screw and comes loose a little bit every 20 rounds or so and takes a sec to tighten. You cant feel it anyway...

I prefer it over bags because the bipod fits in my case, its not another thing to lug to the range and I really like shooting prone with it. I think mine is a harris....

ALBY

Jan 5, 2008
    i zero from bags, but shoot off a bi-pod.

killed my antelope at 400 yards off my bi-pod.

and

there is only 1 kind of bi-pod... a harris. buy once cry once.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    For zeroing, or testing handloads - I prefer a bag as well. But I use a Bull Bag style rest like this:

Here is how it rests a rifle:

Instead of filling it with sand - I filled it with white rice, so it wont over weigh the carry handle, or my shoulder, although its plenty heavy with rice.

The only drawback with that style rest - if your shooting a gun that has a protruding magazine (like an AR, or a Thompson etc) it wont work. My Encore is also difficult to use that style bag, because of the pointed trigger guard/release. But if your shooting a standard bolt action, or any long gun with a smooth bottom - those bags work great. you can really bed the rifle nicely.

A lead sled style rest is also another option.

I do own and use a Harris Bi-Pod - but usally I use that more in the field when hunting, target shooting or shooting over tall grass. I do find I can shoot better groups using the Bull Bag over the Bi Pod, but thats me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom