Revolver options for female (with safety)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Girlfriend looking for a range gun, but she has tiny hands.

She is 4'10" (at best) and has tiny hands lol.

She has shot my Glock 19 and a Sig P226 9mm, but both being double stack the grip is kind of wide for her.

It makes it difficult to get good finger placement on the trigger, and to operate the magazine release. She also struggles a little with racking the slide.

We're considering trying her with revolvers, but looking for options so we can go rent something from a range.

She'd really like a safety for peace of mind, although I know most revolvers don't have a safety.

We'd also like to keep recoil manageable and something with relatively cheap ammo, so I'm guessing 9mm or .38

Purely a range gun, so does not need to be carried or concealed.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    First off , a manual safety is a non starter , take it off your list.

Your two obvioius options are all steel J Frame and SP101.

With basic laws of physics more wt = less recoil , but it kind of depends on her situation between absolute recoil vs strength for basic handling of gun.

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    First off , a manual safety is a non starter , take it off your list.

Your two obvioius options are all steel J Frame and SP101.

With basic laws of physics more wt = less recoil , but it kind of depends on her situation between absolute recoil vs strength for basic handling of gun.

Oh I hear you :D

But right now she has safety on the brain, and being a new shooter is still kind of nervous.

I'm working her through it, but a safety wouldn't even be high on my list lol

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    4 inch GP100 with 38 +P if she must have a revolver.

I think the LC9 would be the best firepower and size compromise. My opinion of course. Gold dot 124 ammo.

yournamehere

Feb 27, 2013
    Carroll County
    Went through this last year with my wife. She has tiny hands as well and could not manipulate the mag release on most semi's. Could not find a revolver that she liked either. Finally went with the Springfield XDS 9. Fits her perfectly, and I like it as well.

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    S&W 60-15 its a 3" 357 5 shot it has a full length grip. I got one for my wife loaded with 38's makes a easy shooting range gun and it is a nice carry gun as well. by the way her usual gun is a model 19 4"

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    S&W M36 with a 3" barrel is pretty sweet. All steel, small but with a longer sight radius, a bit of extra mass to help with recoil but not so heavy as a 357, small enough to carry, large enough to get past the difficulties of shooting a snubby.

I saw a revolver with a safety once, but it was an old C&R type. It was interesting, but too much money to buy for the sake of owning an oddity.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Girlfriend looking for a range gun, but she has tiny hands.

She is 4'10" (at best) and has tiny hands lol.

She has shot my Glock 19 and a Sig P226 9mm, but both being double stack the grip is kind of wide for her.

It makes it difficult to get good finger placement on the trigger, and to operate the magazine release. She also struggles a little with racking the slide.

We're considering trying her with revolvers, but looking for options so we can go rent something from a range.

She'd really like a safety for peace of mind, although I know most revolvers don't have a safety.

We'd also like to keep recoil manageable and something with relatively cheap ammo, so I'm guessing 9mm or .38

Purely a range gun, so does not need to be carried or concealed.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Colt Mustang .380

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    For a range gun? Just for the pleasure of shooting? Get a .22 revolver (yes, you can find ammo - just look for something other than el-cheapo bulk). Ruger Single-Six, Ruger Bearcat, or S&W Model 34.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    My daughter talked me out of my S&W Mod 19 just prior to Oct 1st last year. She loves shooting 38 target loads from it but she and the gun can also handle occasional .357 loads. The .357s she fired in trying it out were my handloads and more like 38+Ps That gun is a k-frame and has a 4" barrel. The 686 is a better choice for a steady diet of full power 357 magnum but it is a slightly heavier frame as it is an L-frame. The grip size, however, is the same as the K-frame IIRC. If she gets a 686, I would get a 4" or 6" barrel. Their much easier to keep on target than a short or snubby barrel because of the longer sighting radius

Mike OTDP brings up food for thought...but presuming she may want something to be a home defense gun as well, a medium frame S&W or other similar sized revolver is hard to beat.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    686 4 inch and shoot 38

Well that was easy end thread.

This is my wife's go to gun. If .22 was an option my wife also likes shooting the Ruger 22/45 Lite. She has trouble pulling the slide back on Glocks and M&P's but can rack the slide on the Ruger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scooby225

Latest threads

Top Bottom