Revolver options for female (with safety)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    To answer your question, I'd say the Sp-101 and fire .38's. The smaller grip seems to work better for small handed shooters as opposed to a GP-100 or 686.

We're thinking about a revolver just because the operation will be easier. And she won't have to struggle with racking the slide, magazines, jams etc etc.

It is worth remembering that a revolver isn't actually much easier to operate than a Glock. If it jams, a revolver is FAR harder to clear than a semi. Just food for thought.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Guys , remember the OP's criteria : TINY hands , .38 , and moderate , if not low recoil. If there conversation above more or less average female hand ( which is aprox a small male hand ) we'd be having a different discussion.

Now to throw out some more slightly different parameters:

Fun gun to shoot , but smaller cal - Ruger BearCat is perfect for XXXS hands , fun to shoot , accurate.

Mustangs will have snappy recoil. Search a little harder for its big brother , the Colt Gov't .380 m same trigger reach , but longer grip to hold on to , less muzzle flip , but still reasonably light. By same reasoning the various LLama .380's that also look like shrunken 1911.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Bearcats are fun, but ramming----every----single----case----out----one----at----a----time is not fun.

Would be a great starter revolver. And cheap to shoot/practice as well.

jonb219

Oct 17, 2013
    Falling Waters, WV
    Same here...my wife has tiny hands and struggles with the controls and slide on the Glock and Beretta. We got her the Ruger 22/45 Lite. She loves it and has no problems operating it.

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    If she has tiny hands I would think something like an old S&W model 10, if you can find a used one. Otherwise a Ruger SP-101.

In a 9mm Semi, try a Browning High Power, a S&W M&P Shield, or a SIG P6 (P225)

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Another option to consider

John Browning's auto designs have much smaller reach from the grip to the trigger than "modern" full size 9's & 45's. A 1911 may or may not be hard for her to rack, but a Browning High Power is usually easier. Before discounting all auto's, she should try both of them; its the new generation of double stack autos that have huge grips, not the old school stuff.

The recoil on these is less than blowback autos and most revolvers with the same power; the action absorbs lots of the energy. A lot easier for a smaller person to handle than most people think.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Girlfriend looking for a range gun, but she has tiny hands.

She is 4'10" (at best) and has tiny hands lol.

She has shot my Glock 19 and a Sig P226 9mm, but both being double stack the grip is kind of wide for her.

It makes it difficult to get good finger placement on the trigger, and to operate the magazine release. She also struggles a little with racking the slide.

We're considering trying her with revolvers, but looking for options so we can go rent something from a range.

She'd really like a safety for peace of mind, although I know most revolvers don't have a safety.

We'd also like to keep recoil manageable and something with relatively cheap ammo, so I'm guessing 9mm or .38

Purely a range gun, so does not need to be carried or concealed.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Do you understand why DA revolvers tend not to have a manual safety?

Searching for a revolver with a safety is a foolish endeavor. Proper trigger discipline is the solution.

Now since this will be a target/range gun, you want a longer sight radius and a bit of weight for recoil mitigation.

So something with a 4 inch or longer barrel would be ideal.

The first option that comes to mid is the 4 inch Smith and Wesson 686/686 + (the plus is preferable for the extra round the cylinder holds over the standard 686)

These are well built guns that are good for range use.

Another possible option is the model 617 which is basically a 686 chambered in .22lr.

Now if the grip on the 686/686 + seems to be too large an alternative option is the model 60 with a 3 inch barrel.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57768_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Now it isn't as heavy as the 686 or other medium size revolvers, and the barrel is 3 inches, but that is the longest currently offered for a small frame S&W .38 revolver.

An alternative to revolvers is a traditional .22lr target pistol, like a browning buckmark:

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?fid=006B&cid=051&tid=448#center

Another .22lr alternative would be the M&P .22lr:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...73655_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    A lot of great suggestions guys, thanks for the input.

I know a safety on a revolver is pointless. But at least I can tell her I asked, and give her all your feedback. Which will only mirror most of what I've mentioned anyway.

Training and practice is all the is needed. Aside from something that actually fits her hand properly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I have small hands and unusually short fingers.

A single action revolver would be fine.

K or L Frame size revolvers, like the Model 10, 19, or 686 are fine fired single action. Trigger reach in double action is okay, but just a shade longer than ideal. Ditch the fat factory grips and go for something a little smaller.

A J frame should fit, but makes a poor range gun.

.38 Special Mid Range loads are very mild, and a lot more fun to shoot than .22.

Among the autoloaders, try single action single stacks. The Browning Hi Power is just amazing for small hands. The 1911 A1 is also good, when fitted with the correct short trigger.

Double actions suck. DAs like the SIGs, Beretta, even the P38/P1 just have too long a trigger reach. Double stack mags make it worse. Even a small gun like the P64 has a freakishly long trigger reach in DA, and the CZ 50/CZ70 is just as bad. The CZ 82 is a little better, about like a K Frame S&W. All are fine in single action, of course. The ambidextrous mag release on the CZ82 allows manipulation with the trigger finger.

Glocks are not great for small hands. I'd like to try one with a grip reduction sometime, but I don't think the reduction has much effect on trigger reach. I've compared the Gen 3 and Gen 4 in the store, and was not impressed with the new smaller grip.

The S&W M&P is much better, though still not ideal. I have two, and like them, but I still have to twist them just slightly in my hand. This is not good for recoil management.

I have reversed the mag releases on both my M&Ps, so I can drop mags with my trigger finger. Otherwise I would have to twist the pistol significantly to reach the mag release with my thumb. Even then, I used to struggle with mag changes before I reversed the buttons.

I bought a Glock from Shooter's Discount for a back up/range toy. I ordered an extended mag release before I even picked up the gun. I still have to twist the Glock to reach the extended release.

I've never tried a Kahr. They are supposed to be good for small hands. I'd like to try a Walther PPQ someday too.

I believe a LOT of people are shooting poor-fitting handguns without even realizing it. They just twist the gun slightly to reach the trigger. I'll bet many who do that don't even realize that the improper grip they are forced to employ screws up their recoil management.

The modifications to the 1911 which produced the 1911 A1 were primarily done to accommodate smaller hands. Whoever selected the Beretta 92/M9 for general issue did a huge disservice to soldiers with smaller hands. Likewise, I'm sure many LEOs are struggling with poor-fitting Glocks and SIGs.

Getting back to Trooper's original question, I think a K or L frame revolver in .38/.357 is a wonderfully pleasant handgun, and very versatile. Try those .38 Mid Range loads: they are very mild, and lots of fun.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    She is 4'10" (at best) and has tiny hands lol.

She's comparable to my wife then. Based on what revolvers my wife can shoot, good options are S&W K-frame (19, 64, 66, etc.), Ruger Security Six, and Colt Police Positive .38 Special.

Examples of revolvers my wife cannot shoot (meaning she cannot physically pull the trigger in DA): S&W 686 and Ruger SP101. I would think the SP101 should be good to go for her, but it's not. She's tried.

If you go the single-action route, forget about small revolvers if the gun is not to heavy for her. The Ruger Bearcat is ridiculously small, even for my wife. My wife has no problem shooting full-size Colt SAA and Ruger Single-Six and Blackhawk revolvers.

As an inexpensive wild card, consider the Chiappa 1873 22LR revolver. Yeah, it's cheaply built. But it's good enough for 22LR if you treat it with respect, even better with .22 Short. My wife owns one. It's fun to shoot and spooky accurate.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    A lot of great suggestions guys, thanks for the input.

I know a safety on a revolver is pointless. But at least I can tell her I asked, and give her all your feedback. Which will only mirror most of what I've mentioned anyway.

Training and practice is all the is needed. Aside from something that actually fits her hand properly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Most modern revolvers DO have safeties, at least 2, a rebounding hammer(pulls back and mechanically locks the hammer away from the pin/bar), and transfer bar(hammer can't reach the firing pin without it, and it's only aligned when the trigger is pulled fully), like the firing pin, and trigger drop safeties on a GLOCK they are passive safeties, automatically deactivated when pulling the trigger. Thumb safeties can be unreliable, they click on when you don't plan on using them, and can disengage accidentally, they also require more specific training to use well.

A class would be a good start, it can help her find a pistol that fits her. My wife initially liked revolvers better, being a slide is hard to rack, and revolvers are less complicated to operate. Started with light 38 loads on my J-frame 442 wearing a full sized grip, but as she progressed, and learned more advanced techniques the advantages of an auto sold her on my M&P 9 compact, and she switched to that. Part of the difficulty is that compact guns are easy to point, fit small hands well, and are light weight, but the increased recoil and short sight radius can be tough to overcome. In revolvers, a heavy J-frame, like a Model 60, or a lighter medium K frame like the 10 are ideal with 38s, a larger model like the 686 is a bit softer shooting, but does add weight and a forward balance that are better suited to advanced shooters. There are advantages to 357s too, even if they live on 38s only, the longer ejector is easier to pull the cases clear of the chambers. In many cases you can find a decent revolver, and make it fit perfect with a set of grips. I didn't mention Ruger or Taurus, there is a reason for that:D, I'm a S&W fan although a SP101 would be a good choice too, Taurus can be hit or miss quality wise, but they have comparable models if you are on a budget.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Most modern revolvers DO have safeties, at least 2, a rebounding hammer(pulls back and mechanically locks the hammer away from the pin/bar), and transfer bar(hammer can't reach the firing pin without it, and it's only aligned when the trigger is pulled fully), like the firing pin, and trigger drop safeties on a GLOCK they are passive safeties, automatically deactivated when pulling the trigger. Thumb safeties can be unreliable, they click on when you don't plan on using them, and can disengage accidentally, they also require more specific training to use well.

Nicely put, and if it gives her additional peace of mind, remind her that one can keep the hammer down on a empty chamber (even if unnecessary with modern revolvers for reasons stated above). An external safety on a revolver is superfluous.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    If you are stuck on a revolver, I suggest the Ruger SP-101. You can get them in .357, but download them to .38 or .38+p. The grip is quite small and should fit her hand well, yet the pistol (frame and barrel) itself is relatively heavy (compared to say a SW or Taurus light), making the recoil very manageable. Its small but built like a tank with a great SS finish and rubber grip. It's a five shooter. You can bang nails with it and it will not fire without pulling the trigger (that's the safety), which may be the only downside as the trigger pull is a little heavy compared to the semi-strikers. However, you can buy a reduced pull spring kit for it. If you are serious, I just happen to have one on consignment at a local shop. :D Was keeping it for my Mrs., but she just isn't into shooting - that's another story. It has very light use and is in "like new condition." PM if interested and I can tell you were to find it if it isn't already gone. For a home defense or even carry revolver I would not hesitate to buy it back! :lol2:

If you are considering a semi, I would suggest she look at the Springfield XDS in 9mm. No manual safeties, but two passive (grip and trigger) safeties, and in 9mm even the standard (small) mag holds 7 plus 1 in the pipe for 8 total. The extended mag gets you two more. You can add a Pearce grip extension to the standard mag and it is comfortable for even my larger hands. Plus, the pistol comes with interchangeable back straps so she could get a near custom fit for her hand. In .45 its no problem to shoot accurately, in 9mm there will be even less recoil. I have already suggested this very pistol to my SIL who wants to move up from her Taurus revolver. The price point at a little over $500 for all black is good as well. Do not concern yourself with the recall issue. I have one in .45 but would not hesitate to buy, own and carry one in 9mm. I was so happy with the performance of the XDS that I purchased an XDM.

Good luck to you finding the right pistol that she is comfortable with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom