Revolver options for female (with safety)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    It might be worth having her try a single action revolver with a Bisley style grip.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    First off , a manual safety is a non starter , take it off your list.

Your two obvioius options are all steel J Frame and SP101.

With basic laws of physics more wt = less recoil , but it kind of depends on her situation between absolute recoil vs strength for basic handling of gun.

I strongly recommend the SP101. I have two of them. My wife shot the 2" barrel with 158 gr. full power .357 loads and she emptied the chamber in her first outing with it. The weight and excellent factory grip make recoil very manageable.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    OP needs to gently help her get past her irrational fear of guns. This bit about a "safety" is very revealing.

I disagree. How many gun guys wouldn't carry Glocks because they "didn't have a safety"? I know of more than one.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    A single-stack 9mm should be easy to grip with smaller hands. XDS, M&P Shield, Walther P5, the new small Walthers and a couple more.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I might be in the minority with this recommendation, but I suggest you get her a .22LR revolver first; then after a few trips to the range...

Show her this and you are off to the races:

photo.jpg

Also show her this one, and let her choose:

elektra_main_pink.jpg

Definitely get her one of these while you are deciding:

dryer.jpg

If you get bored reading our recommendations, here's the same thread from another forum started a few years ago; they are discussing the same things: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/pink-revolver-wifey-11699/

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Tiny hands works out for you TROOPER. No more trips to the ER for your smashed microscopic manhood.

Sent from the Bantu Wind using Tapatalk.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I might be in the minority with this recommendation, but I suggest you get her a .22LR revolver first; then after a few trips to the range...

A potentially big flaw with that approach is DA mode, where applicable. DA rimfire triggers tend to be very heavy compared to centerfire. Maybe not a problem for you or me, but often not doable for many women.

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    If you're in Baltimore, Continental Arms has a LOT of rental guns to try

Actually I was at Continental yesterday.

Didn't have time to try a bunch of revolvers or shoot them.

However the girlfriend did shoot a Walther P22, and she fell in love with it.

So easy for her to hold and operate, although she had a little trouble with the magazine release which is part of the trigger guard.

Her grouping was awesome for a 2nd time shooter, and she's already excited for the next shoot, and looking forward to shooting a bigger caliber.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN

So easy for her to hold and operate, although she had a little trouble with the magazine release which is part of the trigger guard.

Her grouping was awesome for a 2nd time shooter, and she's already excited for the next shoot, and looking forward to shooting a bigger caliber.

Skip the HQL and buy it when you move....

:)

Sent from the Bantu Wind using Tapatalk.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

FWIW, an updated P22, the Walther PPQ 22, was just approved by the MD handgun board and can be bought (i.e. have paperwork filed) starting May 18. I have no idea if there are functional differences between the two, but earlier variants of the P22 were said to be more ammo finicky (than a Ruger SR-22, for example).
    If she goes larger caliber, she needs to try out the PPQ in 9mm, maybe with 115 gr rounds to start. Slickguns has recently had these for around $500, incl gen 1 (M1), which I prefer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    BuffaloBrent

Latest threads

Top Bottom