• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    To all;
    I have a 1914 Colt Police Positive that has stopped rotating the cylinder when the trigger is pulled. I can see what the problem is but don't know how to fix it. The little lever that pushes against the back of the cylinder is worn and will not engage. :mad54:

Any help or suggestions, Thanks, C&RDaze

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    That's a weird little lever on the left side, what is it?
    I also have a Colt revolver(Officer's Target) that doesn't rotate well and have a need to consult a smith, will be watching this thread.
    DocAitch

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    Yes, it's the lever on the left side. Just picked up a Springfield M-1922 .22 trainer. Talked to the seller and he had a revolver smith in Edgewater or similar. I don't have the info with me just now but will try to get back on tomorrow with it. I was told it's a spring issue but my lever is well worn. We'll see. Edgewater is not good for me as I'm in St. Mary's.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Not a Smith, but I see a few listings for Parts etc on the Web...(Google)
    Parts may be hard to find?????

BUT..look at this:

http://www.armslist.com/posts/1456531/ohio-antiques-for-sale-trade--colt--38-revolver-1914

Timing-related parts do not just drop in between old revolvers. They generally require a gunsmith to custom fit them, if even possible for used parts. Getting replacement parts with extra material, taken off as necessary by a gunsmith, is usually the best bet.

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    For those who have an interest: The name of the smith I was given is John Leber in Shady Side. 410/867-6343 1-6pm Mon-Fri

I've left a message but not had a return call yet. Hope to talk to him soon. :)

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    J Beard- Thanks for the Numrich reference; it lists the parts I need but the bolt (cylinder catch) is sold out. I will try to call them and maybe get the spring to see if that works, If I can't work it out with the Smith. :thumbsup:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The bolt ! From the initial description I thought it was the Hand aka Prawl.

But yes , timing related parts require fitting from a 'smith , or an armoror trained on that gun.

And no , factory parts no longer produced for prewar Colts or long action S&Ws .

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    J Beard- Thanks for the Numrich reference; it lists the parts I need but the bolt (cylinder catch) is sold out. I will try to call them and maybe get the spring to see if that works, If I can't work it out with the Smith. :thumbsup:

Just a heads up to be careful about parts like what Numrich sells. Springs are one thing. Solid parts are a different ball game. Many of the internal parts from places like Numrich are for gunsmiths only and must be shaped/tuned in order to fit/function properly. More than a few folks have kaboomed a firearm by assuming their gun was good after "dropping in" a $5 replacement part. If you do that and you're lucky, you get a variety of basic failures. If you're not lucky, you can lose fingers, hands, and eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom