• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoormanTNT

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Picked up a RIA 1911 tactial with night sights. Now dang it this is twice the rear sight came loose. I mean literally fell out at the range today. Its set up as a dovetail with set screw and it will slide right in and out. The set loosens and the sight c'an be shook out. Shouldn't it at least need to be pushed in? Its almost like the tail is milled wrong, or slot oversize.

Anybody else got any experience like this?

I check it while cleanin, and after bout 25 or so shots the set backs out. Shootin WWB, and Rem 230.

TNT

DoormanTNT

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I assumed that the sight would need to be drifted, and not just slid in. There is NO drag until set screw is tightened. How are you suppost to get any torque with a 1.5 mm allen? LOL

Guess a drop of lock tite will go a long way. Set screw moves smooth, and there is no evidence of any factory thread lock.

Need some insight fellas.

TNT

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    4 Fixes for this:

1) Buy new sight and hand fit (It may not be any better if the Slide Dovetail is oversized)

2) Send back to Manufacturer, or ask if the shop you bought it from has a warranty. If you had it transferred in its between you and the Manufacturer.

3) Have a Gunsmith Tighten the Dovetail, Dimple the SLide where the Set Screw is and apply blue loctite to the set screw.

4) Put some green Loctite on that bad boy and push it in. Wipe off ALL excess and let sit overnight. it wont go anywhere again. Many Manufacturers use this because its dark and fills voids and its ROCK SOLID. Your Sight wont move unless its beat out.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    Had the same issue with a .40 Kahr and didn't feel like shipping back to the factory. There was not set screw however. Drilled and tapped one in the sight and some blue loctite as Clandestine suggested and it hasn't moved since. I only mention that it is a .40 because there is significant recoil, but I guess now I have to take my medicine from Clandestine.

DoormanTNT

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Thank you for the reply, and insight. Just wantin to make sure I'm on the right road. Wasn't sure of lock tite and sight combo.

Thanks

TNT

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    RIAs have a lifetime warranty, and they generally don't ask many questions. Strongly suggest you send the slide back to them for fixing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom