• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I am ready to step up my rifle cleaning equipment. (I have a modern pistol cleaning kit)
    I have a new bench in the works that will have a 48-50" wide drawer (so I can store and organize 1 piece rods)

My current cleaning equipment is a smorgasbord of cleaning kits I have found over the years,, all are multi piece, screw together alum type sets, each missing parts.
    rifles I would be cleaning (me, friends, family) .22 rimfires (20-24"),, .223 (16-20"), 7.62 (18-20"), .45 (18-22"), .50 ML (18-22")

What is a decent 1 piece rod? looking for "decent",, I am not cleaning NRA museum pieces.
    Do all rifle caliber jags/brushes have the same thread size?
    If I were to get 24" rods,, could I add a short extension if needed? or are jag/brush threads different from "multi piece rod" threads ?

Thanks,
    Slack

rossiski

Dec 28, 2019
    Carroll County
    I am ready to step up my rifle cleaning equipment. (I have a modern pistol cleaning kit)
    I have a new bench in the works that will have a 48-50" wide drawer (so I can store and organize 1 piece rods)

My current cleaning equipment is a smorgasbord of cleaning kits I have found over the years,, all are multi piece, screw together alum type sets, each missing parts.
    rifles I would be cleaning (me, friends, family) .22 rimfires (20-24"),, .223 (16-20"), 7.62 (18-20"), .45 (18-22"), .50 ML (18-22")

What is a decent 1 piece rod? looking for "decent",, I am not cleaning NRA museum pieces.
    If I were to get 24" rods,, could I add a short extension if needed? or are jag/brush threads different from "multi piece rod" threads ?

Thanks,
    Slack
    I have a Tipton one piece rod and their brush/jag combo. Works great for me. The rod I have works great for just about everything. It is a tad long for cleaning rimfire and I’m considering getting a smaller one just for that.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have a Tipton one piece rod and their brush/jag combo. Works great for me. The rod I have works great for just about everything. It is a tad long for cleaning rimfire and I’m considering getting a smaller one just for that.

Once I tried a bore snake I never went back. So much better than rods.
    These are both great options. I like a bore snake for an AR, but the Tipton rods are the way to go in general I think. A cleaning rod is also handy if you need to clear a squib at the range. It happens.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Thanks,,
    now brushes and jags, mops?

Ridged jags vs slotted?
    Mops?

I have yet to find a brush/jag/mop organizer to lay flat in a drawer.

(If you can't tell, I am done with the disorganized mess)

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I have switched over to 100% J. Dewey stuff.
    If you do go that route - pay attention to male/female ends on rods, brushes & jags when ordering or you will be buying adapters which are a PIA.

For organization, IMHO it's hard to beat tackle trays.
    Tackle Trays with Jags and Brushes.jpeg

Last edited:

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I use Tipton carbon fiber rods and Otis brushes & patch loops For handguns and long guns. For years, I had a mix-match of stuff. Later I bought a set with brass 3 piece rods with a bunch of adapters, total PITA.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I have settled on Tipton one piece carbon fiber rods, along with a set of jags, nylon brushes, and bronze brushes.
    Also picked up spare brushes for the calibers I shoot most, since they do wear out.
    It all resides in a Tipton Gun Butler along with patches, solvents, lubes, etc...
    Not really locked into the brand, but it was reasonably priced and good quality.
    My old sectional rods have found their way into the range bag in case of a barrel obstruction.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I’ve been happy with Dewey rods jags and brushes.
    I just found that they offer all needed adapters at a great price on their website. I just ordered a bunch of cleaning adapters and jags for way less than expected.

Last edited:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Thanks,,
    now brushes and jags, mops?

Ridged jags vs slotted?
    Mops?

I have yet to find a brush/jag/mop organizer to lay flat in a drawer.

(If you can't tell, I am done with the disorganized mess)

Home Depot and Lowes both sell small parts organizers that have multiple (and oftentimes adjustable) compartments. They are perfect for organizing jags and brushes by caliber.

If you don't find what you like there, try Bass Pro for an even larger selection. Check the fishing section for flat storage boxes, typically made by Plano. They're excellent, and not too expensive.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    I use Tipton carbon fiber rods and Otis brushes & patch loops For handguns and long guns. For years, I had a mix-match of stuff. Later I bought a set with brass 3 piece rods with a bunch of adapters, total PITA.
    That is what I am trying to get away from,,,

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

Thanks,
    Slack

Remember to account for not only your barrel length that you mentioned, but also the length of your receiver, and the length of (hopefully) a bore guide as well.

If you haven't really thought about this before, you don't want a one piece rod that's too long. But many a guy has also come to find their purchase to be too short.

They make (many) different rod lengths for a reason. Just a "head's up."

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Once I tried a bore snake I never went back. So much better than rods.
    I tried a boresnake for the first time not too long ago on my mini-14. I still had to punch the bore with a rod and swab initially though; I couldn't get the weighted end of the boresnake completely through the bore.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Hoppes elite carbon fiber! rod & handle come separately so you buy it "custom".
    I have the blue plastic brushes, they're stiffer than anything else non-metallic I've ever found mops & plastic jags.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom