• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ESRob

Feb 8, 2013
    I'm shopping for a new rifle (scoped), for deer primarily, and with a budget of $500ish.
    Thinking about a .308. It's my understanding that at the range I intend to shoot, it has similar ballistic characteristics to a 30-06, and it's a nato round.
    This sound about right? Is there any merit to wanting to stick to a nato round?
    I've been thinking about the Savage Axis, but for a few dollars more, it seems that the Ruger American may be a good choice.
    I'll be visiting various shops/ shows in the near future so I can get my hands on them to get an idea of what feels good to me, but I'm interested in any input you guys may have.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I have a couple 30.06s. They certainly get the job done and mil ammo is pretty widely available. I don't have 308 but hv always wanted one...or more;-). .. From watching prices (before and after the current market mess), I believ 308 is more widely available and at low cost. IMO the ballistics are close enough that unless you are a really good andregular shooter, you and the deer won't appreciate any delta btw them. ---also you can likely get heavier bullts in 06 than 308 again from my experience. Good luck and good hunting.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    .308 Winchester, .30-06 Springfield, and .270 Winchester are all excellent deer cartridges. All have stood the test of time. There are many other servicable cartridges as well depending upon your most typical application and your own personal preferences.

Very few people are lucky enough to have unlimited funds, but concentrate on 2 primary things in your deer rifle. You want a good quality rifle, and you also want the best quality glass you can afford to help make that qood quality rifle shoot as well as your good glass can now help your eyes to see. Over the course of many seasons, you'll find that the investment you make in your rifle and scope turns out to be only a small part of your hunting expenditures. What it will represent however is the key to a large part of your overall hunting enjoyment.

Don't overlook the used market. There are many excellent tried and true "used but not abused" offerings to be had. Take your time, and have a whole lot of fun with it! Hell, you're in no hurry! You have 9 months until deer season.

Hoping you'll sit back and have many years to enjoy tomorrow what you thought through and bought well today.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    308 is a great cartridge and there are abundant load choices. Not a speed deamon but a great round I got a Rem 700 PSS in 308 and love it!

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    The 308 is a Nato round, but most Nato Ball (T65)are FMJ bullets, which would not be legal to hunt with. An advantage is the ability to use 7.62x51 Nato brass to reload into a hunting/target cartridge, since it is a common case.

You can safely fire a 7.62Nato in a 308 chamber (but not the other way around), since its less pressure then SAAMI 308 Winchester.

30-06 is great too,and ammo is very common with a great choice of bullets.

I own both, although my 308 is a handgun. You really wont go wrong with either calibers.

ESRob

Feb 8, 2013
    I really do appreciate the advice.
    Feeling good about the decision of going with .308, starting to try to narrow down manufacturers.

m4strmind

Nov 14, 2006
    I've been going through some of the same considerations.

here is a really good video on the ruger american and some of the savage axis. He has one on the savage axis specifically as well if you want to look it up :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umn6kFpL-E4

I'm currently looking towards a Remington 700 now just for the longer range and accuracy improvements at the range.

I do wish I had another option though because the lack of a detachable magazine in .308 in the 700 is disappointing.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Typically there is a wider range of bullets available in factory .30-06 than .308.

For deer, .308 is fine, but for some larger game, the .30-06 would be better. IMO< the .30-06 is just about the most versatile rifle round there is.

That said, I own a .308. :)

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    As noted above, 308, 30-06 and.270 all great options. In this market, may want to see what Walmart has in stock and let that help with your decision. 308 in very short supply presumably from ar -10 fears.

Demoneyes86

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Baltimore
    I have a ruger american in 308 its great. I love the adjustable trigger also 3-5 lbs if im not mistaken. I atuck a nikon prostaff 4-12x40 on it i think i have about $550 give or take in it but it is great! Also when you register it ruger sends you a cheek pad that has a pocket and holds 5 rounds on it. Is kinda neat.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I'm shopping for a new rifle (scoped), for deer primarily, and with a budget of $500ish.
    Thinking about a .308. It's my understanding that at the range I intend to shoot, it has similar ballistic characteristics to a 30-06, and it's a nato round.
    This sound about right? Is there any merit to wanting to stick to a nato round?
    I've been thinking about the Savage Axis, but for a few dollars more, it seems that the Ruger American may be a good choice.
    I'll be visiting various shops/ shows in the near future so I can get my hands on them to get an idea of what feels good to me, but I'm interested in any input you guys may have.

I assume you want a bolt gun and something .30 caliber. What ranges are you looking at though? Because at $500 you're balancing the cost of the glass vs the rifle.

ESRob

Feb 8, 2013
    Thanks again for all the responses. You guys have been very helpful.
    Russ, I jumped on gunbroker and saw a .308 Tikka for a pretty good price (I thought).
    Wondering by the time I ship, FFL fee's, etc., is it going to be worth it?
    Not that the product isn't worth it, but trying to be realistic about what to spend based on how much I'll actually shoot.
    m4strmind, thanks for the link. I watched another one as well, and it seems the Ruger is getting some glowing reports. Sounding a little better than the Axis.
    I also read your thread about the Rem700. I have an friend that said he'd sell me his Rem700 at a good price, but he's speaking out of frustration, since he's having accuracy issues with it (on one day, off the next). Says he's tighter at 100yds w/ a relatively inexpensive slug gun.
    He's thinking it's due to his 700 not being floated, but after doing some reading, I'm not convinced that's it.
    In the end, like many things in life, I'm apprehensive about buying used, and I've never been much on purchasing over the internet, either. I'm a hands on first kinda shopper, and am looking forward to checking out some local shops this coming week after I finish my shift (thank you "Industry Partner" section).
    I recognize that I'll be spending almost as much for the glass as the gun, but I'm good with that.

Leaning towards the Ruger... unless, of course I run into something else comparable.

m4strmind

Nov 14, 2006
    "today" i've been leaning towards the ruger as well.

my idea is that i can get one relatively cheap and not have to cry if it gets a scratch on it while hunting.

Then later i'll get a longer range gun for bench pinking.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Spend a little more and get a Tikka. Definitely go .308.

This. They come with a detachable mag, scope rings and are guaranteed to shoot 1 MOA or better. Best value. Savage is also good in that price range. Remington unfortunately is just a name at this time...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Major03

Ultimate Member
    A R700 is relatively inexpensive and accurate enough for hunting out of the box. What I like about this choice is that there are a lot of after market stocks, triggers, etc. available that will allow you to tighten it up over time and as funds are available.

Some suggestions on money well spent, as funds allow:
    - buy a used HS precision stock. These are great, and you can find them pretty cheap, as folks buy the R700 PSS (or similar tactical models) and then upgrade to McMillans, AICS or other. They have an aluminum bedding block so, while you can skim bed it, bedding isn't necessary for outstanding results.
    - upgrade the trigger to a Timney or Rifle Basix
    - Get into reloading

.308 is a good choice, .03-06 or .270 also. Lots of choices for hunting loads available for .308 if you reload.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom