• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cicirich

Feb 10, 2013
    Don't know if this is a dumb question but I'm running out of space in my gun safe. I have mostly AR's in there and figured the only way to get a couple more AR's that I will be finishing up soon is to turn some of the rifles barrel down. So all the weight will be on the flash hider/ barrel. Am I going to create any future damage or am I just being paranoid? This method should let me keep my current safe for another couple of years. Thanks in advance

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    putting it muzzle down won't hurt them (unless you have a strange muzzle brake or suppressor, and even then, it is more likely to damage your padding than the gun), but a crowded safe leads to lots of scrapes and scratches (guess how I know). Also you have to worry about them falling easier when you remove one. I suggest using a steel cabinet or locker for storing some of your less costlier firearms until you can get another safe.

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    A little over 30 yeas ago I was in the arms locker in the FBI office in Alexandria, VA. They still had a dozen M1928 Thompsons racked there, all stored muzzle down on the Cutts compensator. Will never forget that sight -- hope they ended up in museums.

slowpoke

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Annapolis
    A little over 30 yeas ago I was in the arms locker in the FBI office in Alexandria, VA. They still had a dozen M1928 Thompsons racked there, all stored muzzle down on the Cutts compensator. Will never forget that sight -- hope they ended up in museums.

In the late 70s/early 80s, we used to go into DC for the FBI Headquarters tour during summer vacation. I'll never forget the Special Agent's firepower demonstration with a Tommy Gun.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Buy some cheap pipe insulation, and cut it into rings. Use the rings to separate the rifles where they are likely to touch. The foam is closed-cell, so it won't absorb moisture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom