• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tebonski

Jan 23, 2013
    Harford County
    I need some advice please. I have one son who is left handed. He's a good shot at age 4 under my direct supervision with the Daisy lever BB rifle at tin cans. I expect he'll grow into a responsible and avid shooter like his older brother and dad. Right now I'm considering maybe buying a left handed AR15 for him to shoot if I can even find one. Any one have any experience or advice for me? Specifically is the left handed AR as reliable as the right hand version? Also do you left hand shooters use the standard right hand AR15 and shoot comfortably and accurately if you do? Thanks.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I'm left-handed. I have left-handed and right-handed AR-15's. Stag is THE maker of left-handed ones. Good luck trying to buy one, though. Wait time is extremely long (probably 6 months or more), if you don't mind paying upfront and waiting. The right-handed version is fine, with the likelihood of occasional hot brass to and minor burns on the right arm during bench use. No biggie.

My suggestion is to buy a quality right-handed one now (Stag, Colt, Windham, BCM, DD, etc.). Then order a Stag left-handed upper sometime down the road after availability goes up and prices go down.

Tebonski

Jan 23, 2013
    Harford County
    Thanks Boom Boom. I do have a Stag right hand version now. I guess you're saying I could buy a left hand version upper and it will eject to the left. I believe I could get an ambidextrous thumb safety so all that would be opposite would be the magazine eject button? Can that be turned around too?

Let me ask this. I have a standard Ruger Mini 14. Is that user friendly for a lefty as far as safety from ejecting brass and having that bolt right in your face? I should take it out and shoot it left handed.

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    I grew up lefty with both an AR and a mini-14, they are both safe when used wearing glasses (the occasional round in the mini would hit me on the cheek).

You can get an ambi mag release for the ar Lower, you can also get custom lowers with a right hand bolt release (Seekins, ARFCOM, KAC and AXTS are a few if the companies that have this option).

You might want to look at ambi charging handles.

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    I'm a lefty and I shoot right-handed rifles, including bolt guns. It's just easier that way.. Some argue that standard ARs, and especially AKs, are more naturally suited to left-handed shooters than righties.

The only things your can't really shoot left-handed are many bull pup designs.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Thanks Boom Boom. I do have a Stag right hand version now. I guess you're saying I could buy a left hand version upper and it will eject to the left. I believe I could get an ambidextrous thumb safety so all that would be opposite would be the magazine eject button? Can that be turned around too?

Yes. Stag sells complete left-handed uppers that swap out with your right-handed upper in less than sixty seconds. Super simple.

I wouldn't swap the safety unless it really bothers your son. I have them on either side. Doesn't bother me. I don't currently use the ambi ones.

I prefer the mag eject button as is on the right side. When I slide my right hand from the handguard back onto the mag well, my thumb comes to rest directly on top of the button. Seems perfect for left-handers to me.

Let me ask this. I have a standard Ruger Mini 14. Is that user friendly for a lefty as far as safety from ejecting brass and having that bolt right in your face? I should take it out and shoot it left handed.

It's as friendly as any 10/22. Just more recoil. It should strongly eject straight out and slightly upwards at 3 o'clock, well clear of your face and right shoulder. You pretty much can't get the bolt handle to your face unless the stock is up over top of your shoulder. The only real "risk" is gas/smoke/unburned powder to your face, so make sure you and your son wear eye protection.

Tebonski

Jan 23, 2013
    Harford County
    Okay gentlemen, thankyou. I guess I'm okay having a right hand rifle now and later getting a left hand upper. Obviously with the impending Oct 1 restrictions I figured get it now or never. I will also shoot my Mini 14 and 10-22 lefty style to get a feel for everything.

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I'm left handed and mostly shoot right handed rifles. I did buy a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in left hand. The only time I've had problems with right handed guns was a Sig P238 when my finger rode the slide lock and the Keltec Sub 2000. The ergonomics cause me to get debris in my eyes.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I have been shooting left handed since I was 18.

Ruger 10/22s will burp out powder now and again. Not terrible.

My right handed AR only burnt me once and only with gas not powder.

My left handed AR has never given me any issues, but of course, its for left handers.....

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    My son is right handed, but left eye dominant, so when he kept racking up his cheek leaning over the gunstock to use his left eye, I switched him to a Savage, 93R17BTVS lefty,in 17 HMR. problem solved.

A bit more "oompf" than a .22 and lots more room to grow with regard to range, but still very little recoil.

This model in lefty-They don't show a pick of the lefty on the website.

XzbiHU6hO_ABEz75s3a.png

Third from the bottom, sorry for the crappy pic.

Parker.jpg

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Also a lefty on long-guns. First AR I bought was a Stag 3HL, shot the living piss out of it and in general had no complaints. Still have it as a matter of fact. Nice option to have.

After some more time on the platform, all the following AR's have been standard righty's. Might be my luck, but have yet to get the powder/gas or brass at my face. Just set them up for ambi controls, and all is right in the world.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    If you buy him a bolt gun , Buy him a right handed! Your left hand never has to leave the trigger to work the action , Its much faster and your able to aquire a 2nd shot much faster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom