Road rage in Crofton. Nobody killed this time.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BurtonRW

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    So, I'm heading home yesterday, 3rd in line to turn from Rt.3 South onto Reidel. Ever since the conversion of that stretch of Rt.3 to "Michigan Left" style turnarounds, U-turns back onto Rt. 3 North at that particular intersection are prohibited and clearly marked as such.

A guy in a Tundra, who we'll call Mr. 'Roids, tries to make the illegal U-turn onto Rt.3 North, which is backed up to the intersection, and thusly blocks the travel lane for a little Honda S2000, myself, and everyone behind us. The Honda dutifully lays on his horn, the Tundra scoots up a little, and the Honda and I both proceed onto Reidel.

The next thing I know, Mr. 'Roids is behind me on Reidel, moves to the center turn lane, and floors it to catch up with the Honda. Briefly looked over at me, but didn't really slow down as he passed. When he caught up with the Honda, it looked like he had rolled down his passenger window and was trying to apologize (not) for his transgression, but I guess he wasn't satisfied with the Honda's response (or lack thereof), so he gunned it again and swung back into the travel lane, just in front of the Honda and came to a stop, now blocking Reidel.

The Honda stopped as short as he could. I was dialing 911 at that point, and had pulled half-way into the shoulder to give myself more room for a turn if necessary, and there was traffic approaching from behind now. I was probably 100 ft. or a little more from Mr. 'Roids.

Mr. 'Roids got out of his truck (this is where I wish I had my camera app located more conveniently on my phone). Honda, seeing Mr. 'Roids get out, made an expeditious U-turn to GTFO and headed back towards Rt.3. Mr. 'Roids looked at me for a few seconds (now that I was the next vehicle in line), made some nasty gestures, was yelling something I didn't particularly care about, then got back in his truck and headed back towards Rt.3. Not sure if he was following the Honda or just proceeding towards his original destination.

As I continued on my way, 911 picked up (probably less than a minute after I initiated the call) and were not interested in any information, but did helpfully ask me to call again should I need the police in the future.

I had made sure Mr. 'Roids saw my phone over the dash, but I sure as hell wish I had my gun under the dash at that particular moment. I don't really ever want to be in a position where I have to use my vehicle as a weapon, but I would have been running low on options if I hadn't been able to leave as much room as I did or if traffic coming the other way had prevented me from being able to turn around.

It's been a long time since I've seen anything that dramatic on the road, but damn. Not fun. I only wish there were a way to identify Mr. 'Roids from his tag number so I'd know who/what I'm dealing with if he ever turns up again, despite the fact that I wasn't his original target (since I'm sure he got a good look at my tags if he was even functioning at a high enough mental level).

WTF is wrong with people?

-Rob

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    You can try #77; that usually gets the closest LEO office I believe. Gald no one was hurt in this - it's definately apparent that there are some really crazy people out there for some reason right now!

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    So, I'm heading home yesterday, 3rd in line to turn from Rt.3 South onto Reidel. Ever since the conversion of that stretch of Rt.3 to "Michigan Left" style turnarounds, U-turns back onto Rt. 3 North at that particular intersection are prohibited and clearly marked as such.

A guy in a Tundra, who we'll call Mr. 'Roids, tries to make the illegal U-turn onto Rt.3 North, which is backed up to the intersection, and thusly blocks the travel lane for a little Honda S2000, myself, and everyone behind us. The Honda dutifully lays on his horn, the Tundra scoots up a little, and the Honda and I both proceed onto Reidel.

The next thing I know, Mr. 'Roids is behind me on Reidel, moves to the center turn lane, and floors it to catch up with the Honda. Briefly looked over at me, but didn't really slow down as he passed. When he caught up with the Honda, it looked like he had rolled down his passenger window and was trying to apologize (not) for his transgression, but I guess he wasn't satisfied with the Honda's response (or lack thereof), so he gunned it again and swung back into the travel lane, just in front of the Honda and came to a stop, now blocking Reidel.

The Honda stopped as short as he could. I was dialing 911 at that point, and had pulled half-way into the shoulder to give myself more room for a turn if necessary, and there was traffic approaching from behind now. I was probably 100 ft. or a little more from Mr. 'Roids.

Mr. 'Roids got out of his truck (this is where I wish I had my camera app located more conveniently on my phone). Honda, seeing Mr. 'Roids get out, made an expeditious U-turn to GTFO and headed back towards Rt.3. Mr. 'Roids looked at me for a few seconds (now that I was the next vehicle in line), made some nasty gestures, was yelling something I didn't particularly care about, then got back in his truck and headed back towards Rt.3. Not sure if he was following the Honda or just proceeding towards his original destination.

As I continued on my way, 911 picked up (probably less than a minute after I initiated the call) and were not interested in any information, but did helpfully ask me to call again should I need the police in the future.

I had made sure Mr. 'Roids saw my phone over the dash, but I sure as hell wish I had my gun under the dash at that particular moment. I don't really ever want to be in a position where I have to use my vehicle as a weapon, but I would have been running low on options if I hadn't been able to leave as much room as I did or if traffic coming the other way had prevented me from being able to turn around.

It's been a long time since I've seen anything that dramatic on the road, but damn. Not fun. I only wish there were a way to identify Mr. 'Roids from his tag number so I'd know who/what I'm dealing with if he ever turns up again, despite the fact that I wasn't his original target (since I'm sure he got a good look at my tags if he was even functioning at a high enough mental level).

WTF is wrong with people?

-Rob

Hmmm, maybe next time you need to tell 'em he is approacing in anger, you're afraid, and ask if you should run over him.

Nah, guess that wouldn't work except possibly against you...

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    You can try #77; that usually gets the closest LEO office I believe. Gald no one was hurt in this - it's definately apparent that there are some really crazy people out there for some reason right now!

Last time I dialed that I got a freaking options menu.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006

Because you have nothing better to do, while operating a motor vehicle, besides fumbling around trying to put your phone in keypad mode and entering digits between prompts.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011

Regarding "#77:"

Although in a few states calling #77 on a cell phone will immediately connect you to that state's highway patrol, that code is far from universal. Some states use #77, but others use *55, *47, *77 or *HP, and some don't have any special code at all. Rather than frantically try to figure out which one will work in the area you're in, police generally recommend that the best approach is to get around the problem by trying 911 first:

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/fakecop.asp

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Regarding "#77:"

Thanks for the history lesson. In this state, #77 used to connect you directly with the MSP, meaning an actual meat Trooper. I know this because I used it to phone in emergencies on the highways in the past.

BurtonRW

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    ... just wondering if I'm thinking about this wrong.

IMHO, you're thinking about it correctly, although there is little (if any) legal difference between stopping a threat by hitting with a vehicle vs. shooting. Both are examples of use of deadly force which would be justified in identical circumstances.

My apologies if I was unclear or if my comments came across as, "I wish I had my gun so I could have shot him instead of retreating."

-Rob

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    IMHO, you're thinking about it correctly, although there is little (if any) legal difference between stopping a threat by hitting with a vehicle vs. shooting. Both are examples of use of deadly force which would be justified in identical circumstances.

"Well, I was trying to get away by making a really fast U-turn when I felt this thump..."

Case dismissed!

BurtonRW

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    "Well, I was trying to get away by making a really fast U-turn when I felt this thump..."

Case dismissed!

Yeah, I'll somehow feel safer about that once horse-girl is shown the door and we have a real State's Attorney in AA Co.

-Rob

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton

Case dismissed!

Agreed.
    But to play devils advocate. With a vehicle involved one could argue that since you were in a vehicle you were not really in any imminent danger and should have a duty to retreat without harming the criminal. I would say this goes for rolling your window down and shooting someone as well and not just running them over. I'm sure that's what the family of the poor, innocent victim would think.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Agreed.
    But to play devils advocate. With a vehicle involved one could argue that since you were in a vehicle you were not really in any imminent danger and should have a duty to retreat without harming the criminal. I would say this goes for rolling your window down and shooting someone as well and not just running them over. I'm sure that's what the family of the poor, innocent victim would think.

That's why I give all that money every month for accident insurance. It was an accident. They happen. And his relatives get a hefty check from his AD&D insurance as well. And one less rager on the road. Happy ending all around.

reddobie0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2014
    Lost Somewhere
    Next time get out of my way and don't beep at me!!!!! I had a nice roid rage incident in the parking lot of Golds gym in Crofton about 2 years ago. I have never seen someone get so angry and lose their mind like that guy. I know he was on roids. I have to much to lose to get into an altercation with people like this. Plus I'm older and wiser then to get into stuff with some of these nuts jobs out there.

I recently bought this for my car and it comes on when I start the car and turns off with the car. I have one for me and the wife.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FONBG1A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom