• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Oh, and it came with one of those nifty Omega locks....the one that looks like there's a cartridge chambered when it's installed.

I like the old locks....the ones from Ruger are great for locking my boat's trailer hitch and the cable locks were great for securing those plastic storage bins.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    When I went to to the police station (I think it was Hyatsville) to get my fingerprints taken to fix my criminal check the FBI was screwing up, I noticed they had a box of those gun locks in the lobby that were free for the taking. Even though I had no need for one on my guns, I took one anyway. Figured it would be a great bike lock.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I think it was the NSSF (National Shooting Sports Federation????) that came up with the program to give away free gun locks. It was a concession on some horrible law that grabbers were trying to pass.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    i just put down my deposit on a Charles Daly .45 at ontarget today....same location of manufacture as Rock Island (what i originally wanted to buy) (armscor) but a bit better with removable sights, ambi safety, etc. we'll see how it shoots once my background check comes thru....

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I shot a Charles Daly and really liked it. It's the gun that sprung my interest in 1911's. I'm don't know how many rounds had been put through it, but it felt loose with regards to the slide fit. It shot fine though with no failures of any kind.

Post a range report after your first 100 rounds or so......

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    wilco, but i can tell u from my boy's rock island that after 2000 or more rounds its just dandy....granted he takes care of his really well. he is like me, he strips, cleans, and oils his weapons every couple of weeks even if they have not been fired.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Ok, that makes me the polar opposite. :innocent0

I've cleaned my Rock Island twice in about 600 to 700 rounds. It never had any problems despite all of the crud.

It needed about 50 rounds to break in. I did have a few failure to feeds in that first 50 rounds, but none since. :thumbsup:

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    i've had failures to feed with some new weapons (never a .45, but we'll see once my BC clears and i have my nice new one) and actually once the problem was the magazine spring was too new and stiff!!!! left it packed with rounds for a week. that fixed the problem. another thing is i never shot a gun "out of the box" when i was messing with guns for my friends back before i turned 21. i'd always at least give them a thorough cleaning and oiling and greasing before first use. tht and with autoloading handuns i found that if i used FMJ with the heavier bullets that it seemed to improve any minor difficulties while the working mechanisms got the finish worn off and other "breakin in" things happened. again, i'm paranoid/obsessive/compuslive about my weapons so that's probably why i go through all the pain in the posterior just to avoid the two or three feedjams that may or may not occur.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I think you're right about the magazine sometimes causing the problem. I switched the RIA mag for a new Chip McCormick and had no problems. But I didn't have any more problems with the original RIA mag after those first 50 rounds either.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    the RIA/armscor mag copies the original colt design for the most part but DOES NOT make allowances (at least that i know of) for the incorporation of the 8th round. the chip mccormick magazine (among other improvements) utilizes a higher coil count. this would reduce the necessary tension/compression in any given coil and thus allow for more even force. i'd venture a guess that most of ur failures to feed were when the mag was topped up or mostly topped up, increasing hte pressure on the round to be stripped off and fed into the breech. just another thought....the loading mechanism (this is not from experience or technical knowledge, just a guess on my part) may have had excess finish or metal that needed to wear in in order to exert all its force to strip the cartridge from the magazine and into the breech. i've not seen failure to feed problems in the very tightly machined custom 1911s or the highest end kimbers that a couple friends shot just fine out of the box, leading me to believe the spring tension in the magazine and slightly inferior machining represent the root of the problem. i by no means imply here that RIA/armscor make a bad gun, for the price its GREAT, hence my purchase....i simply state that this may be a reason for the problems we've experienced.

WESTMD

Member 2006
    Feb 19, 2006
    Far Far Away in W/MD
    I still cannot get a Rock Island in Western MD. All the dealers that I have visited up here say that they are not approved by the Handgun Roster. Anyway I guess I will have to make 2 trips down state to finally get one.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    WestMD, try out gunbroker.com and get the thing shipped to Glade Valley Sporting Goods in Frederick. guy named Richard. he's awesome....if he doesnt have one already or cannot get one for you he'll almost def. do the transfer for you. great guy, i've been shooting with him, he's Class III and i cant say enough about how cool he is.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Ok, that makes me the polar opposite. :innocent0

I've cleaned my Rock Island twice in about 600 to 700 rounds. It never had any problems despite all of the crud.

It needed about 50 rounds to break in. I did have a few failure to feeds in that first 50 rounds, but none since. :thumbsup:

My experience as well. Mine shoots every pull of the trigger. Only time it wont fire is when the mag is empty. Go figure!

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    I think you're right about the magazine sometimes causing the problem. I switched the RIA mag for a new Chip McCormick and had no problems. But I didn't have any more problems with the original RIA mag after those first 50 rounds either.

Same here. (I have a Citadel pretty much the same gun.) Except I haven tried the original mags for a long time.

It did have a problem (even with the C/Ms) with hollow points. But now, after 500+ rds of regular WWB and Federal through it, I picked up some more HPs (three different brands that walmart stocks) and the problem seems to have disappeared. :thumbsup:

It think I'll dig out the old original mags that came with it and give them another try.

One thing I will add is that it runs much better "wet".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom