• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vfr750f

Feb 2, 2008
    Took off today to take the Rock Island Tactical I picked up from 2A last Saturday for its first range outing (even a bad range day beats a good day at work). The only ammo I had on hand was my 185 grain Remington golden saber JHP reloads, so I wasn't sure how well they would feed. I did read some reports on other forums that other's tacticals were able to handle the sabers. I decided to hedge my bet and stopped at Walmart Thursday morning hoping that perhaps some 230 grain roundnose ammo would be in stock, but alas nothing in that caliber on the shelf. First I tried 1 round in the magazine - no problems there and got a 7 at 1 o'clock at 25 yards. Then I tried 2 rounds, followed by three - perfect functioning. I ended up shooting all that had on hand - 60 rounds. The only problem I encountered was that if the magazine was loaded with 7 or 8 rounds, the first round in the magazine would not chamber - round would dive a bit into the magazine and hang up. With a little finagling, it would chamber. Windage ended up being good, and groups were just a bit high - but then again I am using lighter bullets than intended. I am very happy with the purchase - perfect functioning out of the box, and I think the groups are pretty good, too. So if anyone out there is considering getting a Rock - wait no more and get down to your local gunshop.

Here are the first 30 rounds at 25 yards:
    386502736.jpg

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I got my Tactical from another dealer here and it has been flawless. I only have 180 rounds through mine, but even a work buddy who is a novice couldn't get the gun to burp.

For the price, great gun.

vfr, nice shooting. Enjoy the gun.

vfr750f

Feb 2, 2008
    Is this standing off hand? What is your sight picture? this look good.

6 o'clock sight picture. I was seated resting my hands on some sandbags. So just about as stable a platform as you can get short of a mechanical rest.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Interesting...both of my rocks shot low out of the box, but the POI gradually changed over the first 500 rounds till it settled in.

I ended up adjusting the sights on my full size but the compact ended up where it should at 15 yards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom