• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Interesting he so casually admitted the totality of the bill is in trouble
    Next he will be telling everyone to relax and don't show up.

bobnieder

S&W Fan
    May 1, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I received a particularly snotty email from one of Ron Young's "assistants" in reply to my email which I sent earlier today taking him to task for the inconsistencies of his stated positions and the provisions of the bill he co-sponsored. I complained that I had sent several personal emails without any response from him. I basically called on him to either act consistently for real protection for school children and to call for prosecution of straw purchasers and criminals who use guns in crimes without allowing them to plea bargain away the charges, taking a ride on the revolving door of recidivism and continuing crime -- or, I promised to vote against him in the primary, then, if he makes it through the primary, I will vote against him in the general election, as well as donating to his opponent. Put up or shut up, Ron. If you're such a lover of the second amendment and such a buddy to hunters, sportsmen, and those who own guns for protection, then drop the $400-500 registration requirement to become eligible to buy a gun, drop the age requirements on ammunition -- and oppose the 50% ammo tax and the serial numbered ammo bill that will make shooting too expensive for anyone without hidden accounts in the Cayman Islands -- show yourself a real friend, if you have the guts to.

I reminded him that I and about 4,000 of my friends had shown up last Wednesday, 2,400 of us had signed up to testify, and yet we hear it was NRA robocalls, that only " angry, old, white men" showed up, and the majority of Marylanders wanted "common-sense gun safety laws". Senator Young, I wasn't angry then, but I am now, and We, the Marylanders who have been marginalized and ignored will continue to hammer at this until the message gets through. Stop trying to tax us, over-regulate us, and criminalize us with a batch of "gotcha", Byzantine, poorly-written laws that aim to make gun ownership as difficult as you can -- and, please, don't keep trying to maintain in the midst of it all, that you are our friend.

saln

Dec 28, 2008
    Boy, he is in full backpeddle mode now.

He opened this season with an email that No one needs a semi-auto.

Now he's really backpeddling.

Shhhh! RON! dont say anything about confiscation!!! Not yet anyways, that'll just get em coming out in droves. Jeeeshhh ya big dummy. Are you on my side or not?

Martin

scottp999

Feb 11, 2008
    I received a particularly snotty email from one of Ron Young's "assistants" in reply to my email which I sent earlier today taking him to task for the inconsistencies of his stated positions and the provisions of the bill he co-sponsored. I complained that I had sent several personal emails without any response from him. I basically called on him to either act consistently for real protection for school children and to call for prosecution of straw purchasers and criminals who use guns in crimes without allowing them to plea bargain away the charges, taking a ride on the revolving door of recidivism and continuing crime -- or, I promised to vote against him in the primary, then, if he makes it through the primary, I will vote against him in the general election, as well as donating to his opponent. Put up or shut up, Ron. If you're such a lover of the second amendment and such a buddy to hunters, sportsmen, and those who own guns for protection, then drop the $400-500 registration requirement to become eligible to buy a gun, drop the age requirements on ammunition -- and oppose the 50% ammo tax and the serial numbered ammo bill that will make shooting too expensive for anyone without hidden accounts in the Cayman Islands -- show yourself a real friend, if you have the guts to.

I reminded him that I and about 4,000 of my friends had shown up last Wednesday, 2,400 of us had signed up to testify, and yet we hear it was NRA robocalls, that only " angry, old, white men" showed up, and the majority of Marylanders wanted "common-sense gun safety laws". Senator Young, I wasn't angry then, but I am now, and We, the Marylanders who have been marginalized and ignored will continue to hammer at this until the message gets through. Stop trying to tax us, over-regulate us, and criminalize us with a batch of "gotcha", Byzantine, poorly-written laws that aim to make gun ownership as difficult as you can -- and, please, don't keep trying to maintain in the midst of it all, that you are our friend.

Bob, Just wondering, have you ever stopped by his office? Last time I saw it, it was on east church street. Maybe stop in and see if someone will setup an appointment for a face to face discussion? I've only done such a thing once many years ago, but it was with Roscoe Bartlett when his office was on rt85 and he was on the same side of the argument. He happened to be in the office when I stopped in with a friend and he invited us in and talked to us for almost an hour. I believe this was back in the early 90's when the original federal ban was being discussed. Would be interesting to hear how welcoming Ron Young's staff was to setting up appointments.

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    A reply from oneof the Senators supporters.

What Ron said: That perfectly sums up normal, sane, grounded--and needed--gun control measures. it's also the same thing being proposed by the Obama administration. Nowhere has anyone said anything about "taking away" guns or ammunition--that's just dumb, far-right, paranoid, redneck propaganda. It's false. Do not listen to the NRA--the NRA went nuts about 35 years ago, and they have not been credible since. But we do need normal, sane, grounded gun control measures and mental health protective measures. We don't need anymore mass killings in this country, and we need to take proactive measures to control gun violence. It's as simple as that.

From a supporter of his

@Joe, I believe Senator Young has answered the questions that you posed. I, however, am anxiously awaiting any DATA that you have to support your statement that the "majority" of his constituents oppose this bill. The last statistic, piece of DATA, I read, was that 94% of Americans, 89% of Republicans and 74 % of NRA members support universal background checks. While I realize that there is more to this bill, I suspect that the citizens in our area probably mirror this national trend of feeling that a change in gun regulation is necessary. As for your point about protecting your family and your property, if you need an assault weapon and magazine rounds to protect your family and property, you sir are a lousy shot! I am confident that I could take out an intruder with a hunting rifle and 2 shots...tops! (And yes, I have fired a weapon!) Your fear and scare tactics are a large part of this country's problem! I would advise you to research the death rate from guns in our country verses every other country in the world! The DATA, which I'd be happy to send you...is astounding! And, yes...Senator Young is correct...the second amendment was written before weapons of mass destruction were invented. I'm pretty sure at that same time in history, women and African Americans also had no rights and couldn't vote. Sometimes with changes in progress, changes in government must play "catch-up." As a woman, I am very grateful that our government recognized that not allowing me to vote was wrong, and needed to be changed! It was with my vote, in part...that Senator Young and President Obama were elected...mine and the majority of other voting citizens!
    Perhaps you can prove me wrong, but I suspect...you are in the minority on this one. I'd love to see some DATA to support your claims. Thank you!

and a follow up

@Joe...I also wanted to say, after reading my own last post, that my intent is not to "attack" you personally, or your ideas. I am most certain that I too, do not have all the facts or answers. I am quite possibly wrong about this. But, so too are you. I tend to be extremely passionate about what I believe in. I can tell that you are also. So, please forgive me if I have offended you on a personal level. I respect the quality of being passionate. I tend to be very driven by facts and data. Prove me wrong, and I'm wrong. It won't be the first or last time that I have been wrong. But, please understand, that just as passionately as you feel you are right, I and many others feel we are right. I chose to believe that Senator Young is acting in what he (and many others) believe is right. I do not like to see anyone attacked for standing up for what they believe in. I applaud the insight that you have given me...a view into the thinking of others. I genuinely appreciate that, so thank you for peaking my interest and challenging me to articulate my beliefs. I can only hope that our leaders, on both sides of the aisle, can learn to listen to and respect the opinions of others.

----------------------------------------
    I need to step away from this. This is like you are a droolign idiot but I forgive you because you are misguided BS :mad54:. The wife says I'm gonna stroke. FWIW this guy doesn't give a frack what we think. Is pretty sad since I'm familiar with the makeup of the county from doing other legislative work, the mans only voter base is the city. Someone else needs to chime in on his FB page. The guy had 1400 "friends" so at least that many will see a dialoge with him. Emailing him doesnt really give exposure

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    So I posted the links to the MSI polls pointing out the large sampling of Maryland democrats
    ------------------------------
    Here is a statewide survey by Susquehanna Polling and Research, I would ask you to look at Q9 for party breakout senator. This seems to refute your assertions that the majority of Marylanders support your gun control control efforts.

http://www.marylandshallissue.org/share/Toplines-Maryland Statewide-Feb2013.pdf

and

Summary

http://www.marylandshallissue.org/s...ing_2013_Fund_Drive2_13_2013&utm_medium=email

The good Senators response was.

I looked at your polls. I see nothing there that conflicts with my viewpoint. Q9 deal with political registration not with viewpoints. By the way I don't remember calling you or any of my supporters calling you a redneck Psycho.

:sad20:

jbageant

Jan 14, 2013
    How can this guy survive in Frederick and Washington counties??

I got this from one of his minions today:

Senator Young is voting for every parent in Maryland who drops their children off at school or takes them to the movies. They deserve to know their children are safe. He is not voting against hunters or sportsmen or law abiding gun owners; he is voting for parents. They have a right to know their children are safe.
    Senator Young strongly supports the second amendment. Asking for stronger background checks, limiting the size of magazines and banning assault weapons does not violate the 2nd Amendment.

The Senator has no problem with hunters having rifles or with individuals safely storing handguns in their homes for self protection. He can also support collectors having antique guns and a system where certain guns can be kept at a club for target practice or competitive shooting. Senator Young believes this to be a fair balance. He feels we must strengthen support for mental health and other school safety issues.
    Thank you again for your comments. If you would like to share any additional comments of concern regarding this, or any other, issue, please do not hesitate to contact our office via email, Ronald.Young@senate.state.md.us.

Again, thank you for bringing your position on this issue to Senator Young’s attention.

Sincerely,

Caitlin Dunn
    Constituent Aide
    Senator Ronald Young
    District 3, Frederick and Washington Counties

I responded:

Sir:

A vote for O'Malley's gun legislation is most certainly not supporting the Second Amendment. To claim so is political double speak and you know it.

Well, you've hit all the liberal Democratic talking points in one short email, that's for sure. Children, school, hunters, sportsman. Good job. Hunting and firearm sporting activities are privileges. Protection of family, self and home is a right. Agreeably there may be limits to the Second Amendment. Maryland has already gone past what is reasonable and now borders on draconian restrictions. Maryland already has magazine limits. Modern sporting rifles are already regulated weapons. There is already a seven day waiting period. For regulated weapons there are already NICS and MSP background checks (required even for private transactions). There is already a training requirement. And on and on. No reasonable person would deduce that piling on more laws that affect only those that abide by them will have any effect on crime or violence. You will also note that your neighbors directly to the north have none of these current restrictions, allow concealed carry for ordinary citizens and have not jumped on the emotional Democratic gun grab band wagon. At the same time, their crime rates are lower. Perhaps you should should study their success rather than to further contribute to Maryland's failure.

Sir, you know that nothing in the proposed Maryland legislation will stop criminal acts. Making more laws to try to prevent actions that are already illegal is political nonsense. Placing more barriers to legal firearms ownership is the only goal of the O'Malley Administration. It is just one more step in dismantling the Second Amendment that you proclaim to support.

Although I am not one of your constituents, I can promise you that should you cave and vote the liberal line, I will work for and contribute to your defeat. Given your location in rural Frederick and Washington Counties, I think that would be an achievable task.

It appears that your mind is already made up and you will vote on party line rather than constituent desire or Constitutional Law. That is truly unfortunate.

Good day to you sir.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan

Amen, Bob. :thumbsup:

skinsfan

Apr 1, 2008
    certain guns stored at a gun club for target shooting????...isn't this straight out of the Aussie playbook???

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    How can this guy survive in Frederick and Washington counties??

I got this from one of his minions today:

I got the same templated response from his aide Caitlin today. She (and obviously Ron Young) didn't bother to read what I had written as the templated reply didn't address anything. In part, I wrote correspondence that rebutted the above in hopes that I would get past their talking points.

I am not too politically savvy. Is there a way to easily identify the major donors to Young campaign in 2010? He's up for re-election in 2014, and his anti-2A views should be made clear to those that have supported him in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom