• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Ok, I decided to change sites on my 10/22 takedown. I plan going with a Williams Fire Sight Ace in the hole. When I went to mount in pre-drilled holes I discovered 3 of 4 are stripped or slightly over sized as screws pop in without grabbing any thread. Seemed very odd in that I had never mounted a scope before. Thought about re-tapping holes one size up, but then decided to call Ruger as I bought gun new and never used tapped holes before. They told me to send it back and everything was going smooth until I told them my address. They told me they could not except semi-auto direct from me and I would have to use an FFL. I told them there is no prohibition on me owning or even going out and buying another 10/22. I got more or less that their legal department had made a determination sort of just in case. Okay, they need to learn our laws before applying more unneeded limits on us. That's my feeling.

My dad was a very skilled machinist and taught me the basics. Dusting them off and going to re-tap holes myself once ordered taper, bottom tap and machine threaded screws come in. If that doesn't work will go through added hassle of shipping via FFL.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    While it is a simple job that's pretty hard to screw up (pun intended), I wouldn't count on any warranty service after you work on it. Just something to think about.

Good luck.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    As I recall The gun comes with a weaver rail and a set of screws. Headless screws are preinstalled. Have you tried the screws that ship with the gun? This seems very odd...

Oh and if ruger is going to give us grief about warranty service we need to know --

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Headless screws are preinstalled. Have you tried the screws that ship with the gun? This seems very odd...

^This. Make sure the new screws are the right size. W/ the amount of crap coming from china its a wonder 1/2 of anything works at all. If the orig little set screws fit fine then you just need correct/better screws for the rail.

I just put a rail on my new 10/22T. If you have a micrometer to mic yours with, I can measure mine to compare.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I bought a Ruger 10/22 Takedown, and it's sat in the safe, untouched.

I've got a Leupold dovetail ring mount that I was going to use.

I suppose I should get this stuff out of the safe and see what happens.

:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom