• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    I took my Mark one apart two times. The first time I needed a rubber mallet to put it back together. 20 years later I thought I would try it again. I almost put it in a box to take to a gun smith before I figured out how to do it.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    The first time I took my Ruger 22/45 apart it took me an hour to get it back together again. I think I must have gotten lucky because the second time it took two hours! Once I finally figured out the trick for my particular gun, however, I wrote a cheat sheet for myself.

(This rotate the gun up to do this, rotate it down to do that, now rotate it, ... is for the birds. And in my case it wasn't working at all for me even though I was doing it right, because the hammer was too tight and gravity wasn't letting it fall into place on one of the final steps. Now I manually manipulate its position.)

I love my 22/45 but the designers are/were a very odd lot.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    These have been around for a long time. You can order direct from Majestic Arms. I know Continental Arms sells them and they will show you how to operate it. Majestic also makes some nice grips for Ruger pistols.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I installed one of these kits in a friends MKII. He was tired of bringing the gun to me for reassembly.

The kit works well but can be tricky to install. The instalation is no different than the factory reassembly.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    After my first screwup, I needed a punch and a hammer to fix my mistake. Once I messed it up, though, I made it a point to never do that again. Several years into ownership of two mark IIs and a dozen or so takedowns of each, no problems. They are far and away my favorite 22 pistol of all time. Great suppressor hosts (why I have to clean them so much).

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    You tube make it very simple to put the gun back together.

I have a love hate relationship with my 22/45

Love the gun

Hate the cleaning of it

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Ha, this was my first "bag o' gun" I ever brought to a smith to put back together. I had them install that kit, but the scope mount covers the top of the pistol, so it's kind of moot. A little action cleaner, a bore snake, and some CLP and grease and she's clean again, so I don't bother.

Jackson923

Hell Yeah!
    Jan 25, 2008
    Harford Co
    Interesting kit, dis-assembly is easy, I can never get the dang bolt locking arm set right with the spring to reassemble. Waiting for someone to get one to review it and see if it's worth it. Thanks for posting this.
    George

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    They can be a pain...but they are nice little pistols! This is about the best video for re-assembly

I agree this is a great video & I saw it before trying to clean mine. The take down part is spot on but in my case it does not work for reassembly. He rotates the gun for a reason but as stated for me gravity would not allow the hammer to rotate into position properly since mine is too tight. Instead I have to rotate twice in opposite directions (like the manual says to do it) plus in addition manually manipulate the hammer into position. It all depends on how tight your gun is.

But still, this is a great video and the easiest to follow on the internet that I've seen, for those who have a gun for which his guidance will work.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I installed one of these kits in a friends MKII. He was tired of bringing the gun to me for reassembly.

The kit works well but can be tricky to install. The instalation is no different than the factory reassembly.

I have one on my MARK II. It came in handy at a bullseye clinic when I had to do a quick cleaning of the chamber.

Like mdeng stated, it is a bit tricky to install, but once it is in place, you can do a pretty good job of cleaning without the headsache of getting the mainspring housing back in.

I would still suggest performing a full cleaning (i.e. complete disassembly) at intervals you feel comfortable with. I know many of my students have installed them to make life easier.

I bought mine directly from Majestic a few years ago at an NRA show. I am nort a gunsmith but found it easy to install following the directions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom