• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Cool, especially with a Sig side folding stock. I don't really get the resurgence of the cartridge though, the FN patents expired a decade ago, and there really isn't some new affordable ammo manufacturer. It's at least double the price of 9mm or 5.56, no practical subsonic loads, limited performance being originally designed to defeat body armor with restricted ammo, and it is very hard to handload. It can work with many rimfire cans, it's about the fastest caliber that works with practical blowback designs and ammo that can fit in a reasonable sized grip.

Have seen a couple ideas for a 30 cal straight wall cartridge same OAL as 5.7 that would work in 5.7 designs and mags, essentially a shortened 30 carbine case running at 50k PSI with .308 cal bullets from 125-165 grain, slightly higher velocities, similar case capacity for the same weights as 9mm, but far better terminal ballistics, subsonic loads, fixed barrels to use 30cal suppressors, and much simpler ammo design while being very easy to handload. I would probably buy this in that potentially upcoming caliber, but 5.7, no thanks.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I can understand the resurgence of 10mm, but the 5.7x28 - not so much.

But interesting piece, agree that it'd make a nice little PDW/SBR.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I don't really get the resurgence of the cartridge though, the FN patents expired a decade ago, and there really isn't some new affordable ammo manufacturer. It's at least double the price of 9mm or 5.56, no practical subsonic loads, limited performance being originally designed to defeat body armor with restricted ammo, and it is very hard to handload. It can work with many rimfire cans, it's about the fastest caliber that works with practical blowback designs and ammo that can fit in a reasonable sized grip.

Fiocchi makes a factory load subsonic. It's available. I have 3 boxes of it sitting my closet.

Fiocchi standard velocity is in stock and available at $.50/round.
    American Eagle (Federal) and AAC (Palmetto State Armory) are also readily available at $.60/round. So it's literally no more cost then 5.56.

I can use my rimfire can on my 5.7 (unlike 5.56, which I'll have to go out and buy another even more expensive can).

It's better then rimfire ballistics, centerfire reliability, and large capacity.

Limited performance defeating body armor? I think you are OFF TARGET on that topic.

I have an S&W 5.7 pistol. A nice 5.7 rifle is in my future.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Fiocchi makes a factory load subsonic. It's available. I have 3 boxes of it sitting my closet.

Fiocchi standard velocity is in stock and available at $.50/round.
    American Eagle (Federal) and AAC (Palmetto State Armory) are also readily available at $.60/round. So it's literally no more cost then 5.56.

I can use my rimfire can on my 5.7 (unlike 5.56, which I'll have to go out and buy another even more expensive can).

It's better then rimfire ballistics, centerfire reliability, and large capacity.

Limited performance defeating body armor? I think you are OFF TARGET on that topic.

I have an S&W 5.7 pistol. A nice 5.7 rifle is in my future.

That is cool. I've been seriously tempted with getting into 5.7 for a long time, but the cost and difficulty in reloading it keeps me away. 50 cents a round is a lot better than it used to be, but still .223 and 9mm can be had for 35 and 25 CPR respectively, and are reloadable for less than that. I knew some were loading subs with varying success using heavy 224 bullets, but not sure what it offered that other calibers didn't. The comment about body armor, was that the round's main design criteria was to defeat it and work in handguns and SMGs, at some expense to penetration and expansion in unarmored targets compared to 9mm. I do agree it is a cool round, centerfire reliability, high velocity, high BC/SD bullets for the caliber, low recoil, and high capacity. I really wanted an AR57 SBR upper that took PS90 mags, but 57center stopped making them, and other things took priority. Even so, I still do kinda want one, and with all the new 5.7 pistols out might have to revisit it. The PSA rock looks cool, might have to grab an optics ready /threaded barrel package with a pile of mags.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    That is cool. I've been seriously tempted with getting into 5.7 for a long time, but the cost and difficulty in reloading it keeps me away. 50 cents a round is a lot better than it used to be, but still .223 and 9mm can be had for 35 and 25 CPR respectively, and are reloadable for less than that. I knew some were loading subs with varying success using heavy 224 bullets, but not sure what it offered that other calibers didn't. The comment about body armor, was that the round's main design criteria was to defeat it and work in handguns and SMGs, at some expense to penetration and expansion in unarmored targets compared to 9mm. I do agree it is a cool round, centerfire reliability, high velocity, high BC/SD bullets for the caliber, low recoil, and high capacity. I really wanted an AR57 SBR upper that took PS90 mags, but 57center stopped making them, and other things took priority. Even so, I still do kinda want one, and with all the new 5.7 pistols out might have to revisit it. The PSA rock looks cool, might have to grab an optics ready /threaded barrel package with a pile of mags.

Yes I understand the original design of the high velocity armor piercing. To my understanding, you can find those loads by boutique ammo manufactures and it delivers as advertised.

Not sure where you are finding .223/5.56 for that cheap. It seems to have been 50/60cpr for awhile. I see AmmoJohn has some for 40cpr in the classifieds... and maybe you can scour the internet and find some steel cased for 35cpr, but is it really with shipping, etc?

Overall I think 5.7 is a very cool round in concept. For the every day person, is the actual application any better then having a 9mm handgun and 5.56 rifle? No. But, for those who have a ton of guns already, is it a cool addition for unique cases? Yes. Myself personally, I plan to use my 5.7 pistol as a carry gun when I am carrying OWB. I also want to use it to do hunting with (coyotes and fox) just to challenge myself in that. A 5.7 rifle (I might pickup the ruger) would be a cool hunting companion for me as well.

Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 9.46.12 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 9.45.43 AM.png

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Yes I understand the original design of the high velocity armor piercing. To my understanding, you can find those loads by boutique ammo manufactures and it delivers as advertised.

Not sure where you are finding .223/5.56 for that cheap. It seems to have been 50/60cpr for awhile. I see AmmoJohn has some for 40cpr in the classifieds... and maybe you can scour the internet and find some steel cased for 35cpr, but is it really with shipping, etc?

Overall I think 5.7 is a very cool round in concept. For the every day person, is the actual application any better then having a 9mm handgun and 5.56 rifle? No. But, for those who have a ton of guns already, is it a cool addition for unique cases? Yes. Myself personally, I plan to use my 5.7 pistol as a carry gun when I am carrying OWB. I also want to use it to do hunting with (coyotes and fox) just to challenge myself in that. A 5.7 rifle (I might pickup the ruger) would be a cool hunting companion for me as well.

View attachment 414957

View attachment 414958
    I usually get it from LAX or Freedom munitions, got a few K of 124gr RN 9mm in new brass for matches under 25CPR here https://www.freedommunitions.com/lax-factory-new-9mm-luger-124-gr-rn-1500ct-w-free-ammo-can.html

reman 55gr 223 34CPR https://www.freedommunitions.com/catalog/product/view/id/33423/s/223-55-gr-fmj-reman/category/19/

I like weird stuff, have been into things like 10mm and 38 super for a long time, and have shot 5.7 a number of times, stupid light recoil and accurate, the fact it can work with my 22cans is also awesome. I would like to try it out, really the cost and difficulty reloading it are the main things holding me back. I had a 22TCM barrel in the past and it was cool, similar to 5.7 in many ways, just kinda gave up on it. To get into 5.7 I would need a full upper or complete handgun, not just a barrel, so more cost/commitment up front.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I usually get it from LAX or Freedom munitions, got a few K of 124gr RN 9mm in new brass for matches under 25CPR here https://www.freedommunitions.com/lax-factory-new-9mm-luger-124-gr-rn-1500ct-w-free-ammo-can.html

reman 55gr 223 34CPR https://www.freedommunitions.com/catalog/product/view/id/33423/s/223-55-gr-fmj-reman/category/19/

I like weird stuff, have been into things like 10mm and 38 super for a long time, and have shot 5.7 a number of times, stupid light recoil and accurate, the fact it can work with my 22cans is also awesome. I would like to try it out, really the cost and difficulty reloading it are the main things holding me back. I had a 22TCM barrel in the past and it was cool, similar to 5.7 in many ways, just kinda gave up on it. To get into 5.7 I would need a full upper or complete handgun, not just a barrel, so more cost/commitment up front.
    I wasn't talking about 9mm... I know 9mm is cheaper....

And REMANS? OK OK guy... that explains it... I'm not talking about remans, LOL

Yes, some cost to play with 5.7 for sure... it's a niche / cool item, definitely not something as a must.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom