• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • downforthecause

refugee from communist MD
    Nov 13, 2009
    Me and the wife finally got to try out our ''new to us" Ruger MKii today, and the damn thing would not feed for shit! 8 of 10 shots in the magazine would get stuck nose first, against the bottom of the feed ramp. Looking the the bullets removed, the feed ramp was cutting into the noses a full half way up! So the angle wasn't even close...

-assuming it was the magazine, I tinkered with the lips, the spring block, etc, for about 3 hours, testing it after each adjustment to see if it would feed. No luck. I threw the damn thing away.

-I am using Remington Bulk hollow points- are they garbage?

Anybody have any knowledge of these guns before I sell it cheap, and write off the whole company of RUGER?! This and my GP100 both have feeding issues...

eadgbe194

Jan 31, 2010
    I would try some other ammo. The thunderbolt is available cheap in the bulk pack and it is solid round nose ammo, it might feed better.

What sort of "feeding issues" does your GP100 have?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Me and the wife finally got to try out our ''new to us" Ruger MKii today, and the damn thing would not feed for shit! 8 of 10 shots in the magazine would get stuck nose first, against the bottom of the feed ramp. Looking the the bullets removed, the feed ramp was cutting into the noses a full half way up! So the angle wasn't even close...

-assuming it was the magazine, I tinkered with the lips, the spring block, etc, for about 3 hours, testing it after each adjustment to see if it would feed. No luck. I threw the damn thing away.

-I am using Remington Bulk hollow points- are they garbage?

Anybody have any knowledge of these guns before I sell it cheap, and write off the whole company of RUGER?! This and my GP100 both have feeding issues...

are they all lead or copper plated? and how big is the hollow point? try the walmart federal brand or some non-hollow points...that what it sounds like to me...that its hanging up on the hollow point...also make sure its oiled

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    I have a Mark III, new in October. I've put about 1000 rnds through (almost all remington bulk) without any problems.

Just hearing the description, it sounds like the magazine wasn't seated all the way up. On mine the cartridges sit at a pretty steep angle and the nose is above the bottom of the feed ramp.

Do you have another mag? It'd be interesting if you could get a photo of where the bullet nose sits in relation to the ramp prior to releasing the slide.

Don't give up on Ruger, they'll make it right if you give them the chance.

Good luck to you!!!

Gfacter

Oct 9, 2008
    Metro MD
    Try CCI mini mags for ammo, I have also used Winchester super X hollow point, both are plated.

I had a few FTFs early on with my 22/45, now with some use it is flawless.

downforthecause

Nov 13, 2009
    I would try some other ammo. The thunderbolt is available cheap in the bulk pack and it is solid round nose ammo, it might feed better.

What sort of "feeding issues" does your GP100 have?

The GP will lock up when trying to shoot it SA. The cylinder will just freeze about half way through the cycle...?? I'm getting heated with ruger!

downforthecause

Nov 13, 2009
    I have a Mark III, new in October. I've put about 1000 rnds through (almost all remington bulk) without any problems.

Just hearing the description, it sounds like the magazine wasn't seated all the way up. On mine the cartridges sit at a pretty steep angle and the nose is above the bottom of the feed ramp.

Do you have another mag? It'd be interesting if you could get a photo of where the bullet nose sits in relation to the ramp prior to releasing the slide.

Don't give up on Ruger, they'll make it right if you give them the chance.

Good luck to you!!!

Yeah, I just drove 30 miles one way to buy a new OEM magazine....same issue...damn it! To make it even worse, I have no idea, nor do I really even want to learn how to disassemble this thing to polish the little 'tit burr' of a feed ramp that it has...

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Yeah, I just drove 30 miles one way to buy a new OEM magazine....same issue...damn it! To make it even worse, I have no idea, nor do I really even want to learn how to disassemble this thing to polish the little 'tit burr' of a feed ramp that it has...

not much to break down the rugers...main thing is getting everything in the right place...you tube has videos on it...

downforthecause

Nov 13, 2009
    Thanks alot for the help and concern guys. I'm pretty disappointed that I bought over 1000 rds of the ammo it DOESN'T like, but am happy to know that ammo was the issue! I just went and bought some round nose Federal and Remington Thunderbolt...like butter now:D I'm a presumptuous idiot....anybody want some hollow points?:o

downforthecause

Nov 13, 2009
    yes sir, Thanks! I still kinda can't believe what a big difference, a little difference made! ...now to figure out what the GP100's deal is.. :o

Gfacter

Oct 9, 2008
    Metro MD
    Figures I had to open my mouth and state my 22/45 was flawless

Had about 20 FTF's today...:mad54:

I guess after a few hundred rounds I need to break it down for a thorough cleaning.

dirtybird

Mar 20, 2010
    Mine has been a tank so far. Bout a 1,000 rounds, all types of ammo. Federal Wally world 525 packs, Winchester Wildcat, CCI stinger and Mini-Mags, Wolf Match, come to think of it only 2 mis-feeds and they were both Remington Golden bulk. Take-down is a bitch, but getting better.

downforthecause

Nov 13, 2009
    Figures I had to open my mouth and state my 22/45 was flawless

Had about 20 FTF's today...:mad54:

I guess after a few hundred rounds I need to break it down for a thorough cleaning.

lol! typical right? sorry to hear, hope you got it fixed!

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    Just to let you know I have always used Remington 22 LR hollow points (called the golden bullet) in my MarkII. It is an older one but I have never had a problem with it. For the most part failure to feed is often caused by the magazine. I am not fond of Ruger but they do have great customer service and can help you if you call them.

A photo would help. I will try an post one as to where the bullet should sit in relation to the feed ramp. Here it is. This is where the round should sit. pretty hard to miss the chamber.

Attachments

• IMG_0903.jpg
      IMG_0903.jpg
      109.4 KB · Views: 176

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Mine has been a tank so far. Bout a 1,000 rounds, all types of ammo. Federal Wally world 525 packs, Winchester Wildcat, CCI stinger and Mini-Mags, Wolf Match, come to think of it only 2 mis-feeds and they were both Remington Golden bulk. Take-down is a bitch, but getting better.

i know you tube has good videos...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom