• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Your handy capping yourself the way your measuring groups.
    Really appreciate the reports. It’s a rifle I have a lot of interest in. Safe to assume you shoot at home?
    Edit
    Do you know if barrels are standard dpms type. Thanks
    I always just measure outside to outside and subtract the cal I'm shooting. Good enough for what I'm doing. Shooting was done at my house @ 100yds. Have a much longer range at the farm once the corns down ill stretch its legs. Barells appear to be ar15 compatible. On another forum I frequent the owner of one confirmed this by installing a ar15 bbl. He was either the owner of or worked for mad dawg weapon systems and plans on coming out with a bunch of wildcat cartridges for the platform much like they have for ar15s.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Recoil is so subjective but it does not feel at all like my ar10s. Neither has an aggressive brake so maybe that's it but the recoil impulse is totally diffrent. It's more of a sharp fast recoil on the sfar vs a heavier more drawn out recoil. It take sr25 mags and came with a 20rnd pmag.
    Understood. Thanks for the update. This rifle really has me interested. Next time I am out west, I'll see if Hafer's has anymore to pick up and compare to my AR10. I like my M&P10 a lot, but it's an anchor.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Understood. Thanks for the update. This rifle really has me interested. Next time I am out west, I'll see if Hafer's has anymore to pick up and compare to my AR10. I like my M&P10 a lot, but it's an anchor.
    Obviously I have very limited trigger time behind it so far but I'm already thinking about picking up a 20" version and replacing the stock with a prs. Should still come out way lighter than my dpms or home built side charger.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I always just measure outside to outside and subtract the cal I'm shooting. Good enough for what I'm doing. Shooting was done at my house @ 100yds. Have a much longer range at the farm once the corns down ill stretch its legs. Barells appear to be ar15 compatible. On another forum I frequent the owner of one confirmed this by installing a ar15 bbl. He was either the owner of or worked for mad dawg weapon systems and plans on coming out with a bunch of wildcat cartridges for the platform much like they have for ar15s.
    I always measured far edge to far edge until I was at a competition and they corrected me. Nothing like knocking a quick 1/4” of your group lol.
    I have to weigh my night gun again. I can’t get this SFAR out of my head.
    Thanks

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I always measured far edge to far edge until I was at a competition and they corrected me. Nothing like knocking a quick 1/4” of your group lol.
    I have to weigh my night gun again. I can’t get this SFAR out of my head.
    Thanks

The sfar comes in at 8.3lbs with the aero precision mount & busnell nitro ffp 2.5-10x no mag. What's your night gun weigh? I'm looking at scopes now that will get me down well under 8lbs... for comparison my savage axis 22-250 with tally rings and a vortex diamondback tactical ffp 4-16x is 8.2lbs, my sons little ruger American ranch 223 with a cheap bushnell 3-9x is 7.7lbs. My other hunting rigs are all heavier some much more so...wby vanguard 257wby with a weaver European 5-25x illuminated reticle in tally rings is 9.7lbs. Kinda surprised by that one I knew it wasn't light but didn't think it was almost 10lbs.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Creedmoor bare , no scope or can is 7 lbs 12 oz
    So that’s 1.25 lbs heavier than the SFAR? If I remember correctly it’s a little over 11lbs with scope and can.
    The 223 is 10 lbs with scope and can.
    If I’m not in hog country I stick with the 223

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Creedmoor bare , no scope or can is 7 lbs 12 oz
    So that’s 1.25 lbs heavier than the SFAR? If I remember correctly it’s a little over 11lbs with scope and can.
    The 223 is 10 lbs with scope and can.
    If I’m not in hog country I stick with the 223

Adding thermals and cans really drives up the weight lol...I'm trying to make the sfar as light as possible for hunting in the mountains. Could have saved another pound going with a savage ultralight or kimber hunter but they are not quite as compact or nearly as quick with a follow up shot. Not sure if I will use it for nighthunting but probably not. I don't own a can and have a feeling the muzzle flash from a braked 16" 308 at night would be a bit obnoxius. Hopefully the sfar sells well and Ruger comes out with some more chamberings...a 22 creedmoore would be interesting

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    My BIL with 223 and precision armament M4-72 which is my go to brake. So yeah I’d think 308 at night would be a show. Follow up shot would be tough due to the “just had my picture took “ eyes

Adding thermals and cans really drives up the weight lol...I'm trying to make the sfar as light as possible for hunting in the mountains. Could have saved another pound going with a savage ultralight or kimber hunter but they are not quite as compact or nearly as quick with a follow up shot. Not sure if I will use it for nighthunting but probably not. I don't own a can and have a feeling the muzzle flash from a braked 16" 308 at night would be a bit obnoxius. Hopefully the sfar sells well and Ruger comes out with some more chamberings...a 22 creedmoore would be interesting

Attachments

• 3E1BDA9E-FB81-4E3B-95CC-0E279244B925.png
      3E1BDA9E-FB81-4E3B-95CC-0E279244B925.png
      440.1 KB · Views: 80

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    Interesting gun. I have a .308 AR, but it's about 12 lbs, empty. I might look into this Ruger SFAR when I get back. I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but I'm glad Bill Ruger is no longer around.

Sirex