Ruger warranty service. Tale of a Single Six.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    In late 2013, during the pre-HQL bum rush, I got me a spiffy new Single Six, cowboy-style blued with fixed sights. Then came 2014, a year from hell due to long-term family illness and passing so zero range time. Two weeks ago I pulled the Single Six from the safe for cleaning and a once over before its first range visit. Then problems showed up:
    - Rear face of 22LR cylinder not perpendicular to axis and rubbing upper rear frame during half of rotation
    - Pawl quickly chewing up 22LR cylinder ratchet
    - Cylinder notches quickly chewing up hand
    - With cylinder installed or not, hammer sometimes hits brick wall of resistance about halfway through cocking and won't fully cock without returning hammer to forward position and trying again (or another two or three times)

So I got in touch with Ruger customer service and they issued a return label. Back the gun went to NH. Fast forward to this morning and FedEx delivered the gun. Gave it a thorough inspection and tested it for 10-15 minutes. All is good. Very pleased, despite the inconvenience. Kudos to Ruger for making it right.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I have nothing but great things to say about Ruger customer service. I am glad that you have had equally satisfying experience with them.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Ruger has always taken care of me.

A couple times they sent me out parts free of charge for the asking. I asked if they would send me a nitrided extractor for my SR-40 stainless, and they did so.

I picked up a mini-14 second hand from a buddy and it was in bad bad shape when I got it. I purchased it as a beater rifle, but I think the barrel was actually bent because I could not hit the broad side of a barn with it. I only paid 70 bucks for it though, so whatever.

Anyways, I called ruger about it, and they took care of it for me, even though I was not the original owner of the rifle.
    When it came back it not only had a new barrel, but new bolt, charging handle and other miscellaneous springs and internals, as well as being fitted with a brand new 20 round ruger factory magazine. I still have that rifle, and it shoots still like a brand new gun.

Ruger is a great company.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Loving the stories.

Never needed Ruger to fix anything, but I have several of their rifles and handguns and I am a believer. :D

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    Sounds like they fixed you up.:thumbsup: But it should have never left the factory in the condition you received it. :tdown:

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Can't say much about the quality of their parts however.

Had to change out the firing pin, extractor, and bolt stop assembly on a brand new Mk iii after less than 1,000 rounds.

All of them had noticeably worn areas. After 500+ rounds the part where the bolt touches the assembly is very noticeably peened and wouldn't hold the bolt open on an empty magazine. After 700+ rounds, I started having FTE issues and empty casings dribbling out the ejector port. Misfires went up dramatically at around the same time. Visible wear on the extractor. There was significant wear on the firing pin on the part inside the bolt, with one of the edges rounded off.

I put in a Volquartsen extractor and firing pin and the FTE/misfire problems went away. The Ruger replacement bolt stop assembly is starting to show signs of rounding again after just 200 rounds. Maybe Ruger's using recycled tin cans to save on cost.

The pistol is a hoot to shoot and I wouldn't give it up for anything. It's ridiculously accurate, just not very durable.

onthefarm

Jan 15, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Can't say much about the quality of their parts however.

Had to change out the firing pin, extractor, and bolt stop assembly on a brand new Mk iii after less than 1,000 rounds.

All of them had noticeably worn areas. After 500+ rounds the part where the bolt touches the assembly is very noticeably peened and wouldn't hold the bolt open on an empty magazine. After 700+ rounds, I started having FTE issues and empty casings dribbling out the ejector port. Misfires went up dramatically at around the same time. Visible wear on the extractor. There was significant wear on the firing pin on the part inside the bolt, with one of the edges rounded off.

I put in a Volquartsen extractor and firing pin and the FTE/misfire problems went away. The Ruger replacement bolt stop assembly is starting to show signs of rounding again after just 200 rounds. Maybe Ruger's using recycled tin cans to save on cost.

The pistol is a hoot to shoot and I wouldn't give it up for anything. It's ridiculously accurate, just not very durable.

I had issues with FTE, about 1 out of 10 rounds, on a new gun bought around 2008.......Why does that year stick in my memory???

It went back to Ruger twice and they said they replaced a part, then tested OK, but I still had issues. I looked through various forums and found one that stated you had to use a dremel to grind a bit off the magazine lip. Did that on one, it worked, then did the rest of my mags, and I haven't had the same problem.

I also had same issue with my bolt not holding open, and replaced the piece myself as itr was a couple bucks. I have been looking but don't see the same wear issues.

Even with that, I love the MKIII Hunter...

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    sounds like a problem with heat treating.

I would contact them about that and explain the situation. They will make it right.

A buddy and I went halfsees on a mark iii target stainless. Between us we have thousands and thousands of rounds through that gun. Other than some FTF after the dirty rimfire carbon builds up after many hundred rounds, everything is fine. No undue wear, although there is a bit of visible wear on the firing pin, nothing that is more than cosmetic.

That DEFINITELY sounds like a heat treat issue

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I will if the problem worsens to the point it won't hold the bolt open again. I did the same as onthefarm since the part was cheap and easy to replace. It seems like the problem crops up fairly regularly on rimfirecentral. Volquartsen makes a replacement bolt stop assembly out of tool steel that supposedly lasts longer. My concern is whether it will start wearing out the bolt instead, a much more expensive part to replace.

slowpoke

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Annapolis
    I am dealing with Ruger right now. My SR22 had the mag disconnect problem. The repaired pistol is enroute with FEDEX; but Ruger turned around the repair in just 2 business days.

Assuming it is GTG, I will be a believer in Ruger customer service.

Panzer Radeo

National Wanderer
    Apr 21, 2014
    I love how Ruger does NOT have a warranty service. They simply take care of their customers when they need it. No ifs ands or buts.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    I haven't had problems with any of my Ruger guns, but glad to hear that if I do they'll take care of me. However I had a similar great response from Smith & Wesson. My S&W 15-22 extractor broke during an Appleseed event. I sent it back, they repaired it, no charge. And this was on a one+ year old gun - no questions asked.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I love how Ruger does NOT have a warranty service. They simply take care of their customers when they need it. No ifs ands or buts.

Yep. Ruger didn't ask me squat about when or where I got it. Just needed the serial number to issue the RMA and call tag.

Publius

Mar 18, 2013
    Ellicott City
    I also had a very pleasant experience with Ruger's CS, also from a pre-HQL madness acquisition. I got a Super Redhawk that came with a scratch on the drum. I was glad I noticed it right away (I haven't fired the gun to this day, like some other pre-HQL acquisitions... but I digress). I call Ruger and in less than 10 seconds I'm on the phone with a lady. I explained it was brand new and as the owner of an American classic, I wasn't happy with that scratch. No problem. They took it in and less than two weeks later it's back, in the same box I sent it in, in perfect shape! Of any company I've dealt with, that was one of the best CS experiences I have ever had.

GHETTO BLASTER

May 27, 2013
    I dealt with them a few months ago and they were great. My barrel block was peened from poor clearance and I had it back in 7 days with a whole new top end. I was amazed that the customer service guy on the phone actually was a gun guy and not "Steve" with an Indian accent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom