Russian Communists now have more rights than Marylanders.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BurtonRW

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    http://rt.com/news/206703-russia-guns-self-defense/

In an amendment to its tough gun control laws, the Russian government eases restrictions, allowing citizens to carry licensed weapons for the purposes of ‘self-defense.’

Until now Russian gun enthusiasts were only permitted to carry firearms for hunting or target shooting after obtaining a license through the Interior Ministry. Russian gun licenses are to be renewed every five years, and applicants face strict background checks and are required to take gun safety courses.

The addendum to the law now lists self-defense as a legally acceptable reason for carrying a weapon. However, a 2011 Levada poll found that 81 percent of Russians opposed easing the existing gun regulations.

In spite of its restrictive gun laws, Russia has seen its share gun violence. In 2012, a 30 year old lawyer opened fire on his colleagues at a pharmaceutical company, killing six. Just last year, 15-year-old straight A student, Sergey Gordeyev, killed a teacher and a police officer after taking 29 students hostage.

The government’s press service underscored that carrying a weapon will remain prohibited at educational institutions, establishments which operate at night and serve alcohol, and mass public gatherings such as street demonstrations or protests. The legislation also forbids carrying a weapon while under the influence of alcohol.

The law broadly defines self-defense weapons, including smoothbore long barrelled guns, pistols, revolvers, and other firearms, as well as Tasers, and devices equipped with teargas. Long barrelled fire arms and edged weapons are, however, forbidden by the law.

In addition, the amendment softened requirements for foreigners bringing arms into the Russian Federation or purchasing arms on Russian territory. The grace period for foreigners awaiting a license from the Interior Ministry for firearms has been increased from 5 to 10 days.

Good for them, but how screwed up is that?

:mad54:

-Rob

Venge

Dec 6, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    Incidentally, while I was looking this up, I learned that Maryland, with all of its restrictions, frequently ranks in the top three states for intentional homicide.

It's beaten by DC, with all its restrictions. That's not really a fair comparison anyway... And that's why I hate cities.

Juche90

May 10, 2014
    RT is not what I would call a reliable, independent, impartial news source.....

Your right. CNN, FOX, NBC, etc. are so much more impartial, reliable and independent. Now where did I put my NY Times?

I read RT as a balance to the news I get here and bridge the gaps. IMO Aljazeera has the best foreign coverage.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I have a friend who a while back said that he wanted to move to Russia because they were getting more and more freedoms and we were getting less and less.

BurtonRW

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    Russian communists?

Their leader is an ex-KGB Lt.Col. and he's sure as hell been effectively pushing for a second cold war (which I welcome in some ways if it means another superpower exerting some form of control in the Middle East).

It's close enough for me, even if the official commies only got 12% of the vote last time around.

Not really my point, though.

-Rob

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    Nah , they're not commies any more. Not that corrupt nationalistic olgarchies are any nicer , or safer to have around.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Is it just me, or does anyone else sense history repeating itself with Putin?

A former great European military power, once humiliated and defeated, rising to greatness again under a powerful, nationalistic, charismatic leader, which then hosts an Olympic ceremony and shortly thereafter sends troops into neighboring countries to "protect" those there sharing their ethnicity....

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Is it just me, or does anyone else sense history repeating itself with Putin?

A former great European military power, once humiliated and defeated, rising to greatness again under a powerful, nationalistic, charismatic leader, which then hosts an Olympic ceremony and shortly thereafter sends troops into neighboring countries to "protect" those there sharing their ethnicity....

Well, the price of oil is dropping along with the value of the ruble. The average Russian male has a life expectancy of 65 compared to 78 in the USA and 75 in China. Their population is 150 million and dropping, the country is in the 1850s outside of major metro areas like Moscow and St Petersburg

I'm not sure you can argue Russia is rising to greatness; they are better off than they were 1990s .

Juche90

May 10, 2014
    I work with Russians and Ukrainians on a daily basis. Russians view the Ukrainian crisis as a product of NATO expansionism, their "Cuban Missile Crisis", if you will. Ukrainians, for the most part feel as if neither side represents a clear path to prosperity or peace and Kiev is going to do whatever Kiev is going to do. Russian Ukrainians from the the East will tell you they are only fighting for independence.

Couple articles worth reading.

ChevronUkrainian Shale Gas Agreement http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBRE9A40ML20131105?irpc=932

Hunter Biden New Job
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-gas-company-is-a-problem-for-u-s-soft-power/

Pressure on the U.S. Dollar
    http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/20...ions-accelerate-risk-to-dollar-dominance.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom