• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    I've got a co-worker who has a Smith and Wesson Model 19-5 Secret Service commemorative addition revolver he's thinking of selling. It was bought new in 1982 and was one of 2000 made and was only available to operational or retired Secret Service. He's got no clue on price and I'm not up on revolvers so I figured there's got to be someone out there who might know something about these. It's never been fired and still is in the box. Thanks for the help!

montigre

May 16, 2016
    There's one listed on GB now for $2300. http://www.gunbroker.com/item/607488809

You can follow that auction to see if it sells. Generally commemorative weapons do not appreciate in value very well and make poor collector's pieces unless they are embellished by a noted engraver or have a lot of gold trim and such.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    A new unfired model 19 should be selling for about 900 bucks in great condition. Sadly these commemorative guns don't command the value one would think because its a slim buyers market. The Secret Service attached to this gun might raise the value a little because they are so widely known as an agency but a Texas Rangers version with commemorative knife and presentation box just told for 1k on GB. I've seen the D.C. police (model 10) without presentation box go for as low as 400. There is currently one on Gb that's has been up there for almost a year with NO hits because homie was asking 800 for a model 10.

If he can find a buyer at around 1k I would say they are both doing ok. The real problem being is it probably has the gold insignia on the side making it a gun that no one wants to shoot because they think it's going to be some super collectors item when in actuality the unfired part of this gun is where the collectors value is. If the gun didn't have the Secret Service emblem in gold I would assume it to be actually more collectable.

Again if he can get 900-1100k for it that would be fair to both parties. Now if you can find a UD guy who collects Secret Service guns like I do MPDC crap, they may be willing to bump the price a bit.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    There's one listed on GB now for $2300. http://www.gunbroker.com/item/607488809

You can follow that auction to see if it sells. Generally commemorative weapons do not appreciate in value very well and make poor collector's pieces unless they are embellished by a noted engraver or have a lot of gold trim and such.

That will never sell!!!! Like that Idiot lady who has had the used G19 FOP Lodge 1 commemorative pistol listed on GB for 3 years for 1K. I offered her 600 for it and she told me to pound sand. It's a used G19 that has zero collectors value unless its someone like me who belongs to lodge 1.

They are trying to tout it as the first commemorative pistol glock every made but the desert storm one is that is revered as the first commemorative glock.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I bought a similar Treasury Dept S&W from Lou a few years ago. In the box but missing the belt buckle it should have come with, it is nickled or chromed and the finish had a few issues. Think I paid $450 for it.

As others have said, they don't command much.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Commemorative guns tend to have poor resale value as collectibles. Mainly viewed as expensive novelty items. Were it an actual SS service revolver, NIB, the value would soar.

That said, it depends on the particular gun. For example, I have a Ruger 1980's MSP commemorative revolver with the original wood box. Previously fired. Very good condition. Bought it dirt cheap and use it at the range. Great gun. Would never sell it.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    That will never sell!!!! Like that Idiot lady who has had the used G19 FOP Lodge 1 commemorative pistol listed on GB for 3 years for 1K. I offered her 600 for it and she told me to pound sand. It's a used G19 that has zero collectors value unless its someone like me who belongs to lodge 1.

They are trying to tout it as the first commemorative pistol glock every made but the desert storm one is that is revered as the first commemorative glock.

Several years ago, a now-retired MPDC officer offered up a S&W mdl 10 with DC Lodge 1 embellishments.

He was asking $300.00 for it. Unfired.

I kick myself in the @$$ every time I think about it. (I was an Associate Member of DC Lodge 1 at the time. Since '85.)

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    I bought a S&W corrections Officer commemorative. It had been fired and I only paid $100. I was not interested in the commemorative value at all and used it as a range gun. Interesting part was the commemorative stamp was applied to the finish not stamped into the metal. The stamp eventually came off when it was cleaned.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I've got a co-worker who has a Smith and Wesson Model 19-5 Secret Service commemorative addition revolver he's thinking of selling. It was bought new in 1982 and was one of 2000 made and was only available to operational or retired Secret Service. He's got no clue on price and I'm not up on revolvers so I figured there's got to be someone out there who might know something about these. It's never been fired and still is in the box. Thanks for the help!

What condition? Unfired? In presentation box? Checking S&W forum and you see prices from $600 (sold) - $1000 (unsold), might want to list in MDS classifieds. (Or I might be interested, if priced right). Is this it? Good luck.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      48.1 KB · Views: 626

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    Picked a a Colt 1911 American legion special edition a few years ago from BBP, if I remember correctly, I gave $750 - $800. BEAUTIFUL gun,

Attachments

• IMG_20110225_153515.jpg
      IMG_20110225_153515.jpg
      78 KB · Views: 157

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads