• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • b00sh

Feb 7, 2013
    If I were to buy a plain jane Saiga 12 (the ones with the shotgun stocks), would I be able to convert it after Oct 1st or no? I've seen some stocks that have pistol grips built into them that you can use without changing anything else, so not sure if moving the FCG is a no-no after Oct.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    No worries. S-12s will still be legal to buy after Oct 1, and as long as it still meets the features test it will be legal to convert post-ban as well.

IMO pay the extra for a VEPR-12 if you can find one. All the work's done, plus some more features (auto gas system, LRBHO mags, proper front handguards, etc).

Hi-Torque

Jan 16, 2013
    Finksburg
    Since the Saiga is not on the regulated list, you can buy it after October 1st, and modify it whenever you like. Converting the fire control group and adding a pistol grip has nothing to do with anything in the eyes of the law. They can't easily import the gun with the traditional AK style trigger / pistol grip, but once you own it, do whatever you want.

Some MD FFLs sell Saigas as regulated, and there's no reason to argue with them when they do. The theory is that it's an AK variant and the regulated list covers all AK variants. Hard to argue that, but if you ask the MSP, they will clearly say the Saiga shotgun is not regulated. Very common to have to talk to several FFLs before you find one who will sell it unregulated. Most assume regulated to cover their behinds, which I understand, but as a consumer, I urge you to keep looking when you hear "regulated".

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    READ THE FINE PRINT when doing your conversion. Depending on your configuration, it could be banned. Pistol grip + folding or telescoping stock is illegal if not done before 10/1.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    READ THE FINE PRINT when doing your conversion. Depending on your configuration, it could be banned. Pistol grip + folding or telescoping stock is illegal if not done before 10/1.
    Only folding stock is illegal, but even without a pistol grip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Hi-Torque

Jan 16, 2013
    Finksburg

I disagree, the fine print which I believe you are referring to did not make the final cut on what the bill that passed. On page 10-11 of the final bill, all of the "pistol grip" language was stuck out. I'm referencing the final sb0281e.pdf document that can be found linked in multiple places on this site.

The only feature which will turn a semi-automatic shotgun into a banned gun is a folding stock. Even for rifles, the pistol grip feature was struck from the final law, the 3 features to turn a semi-automatic centerfire rifle into a copy cat are a folding stock, a grenade/flash launcher, and a flash suppressor. So adding a pistol grip and moving the trigger mechanism has nothing to do with the new laws in regards to a Saiga-12. Adding a folding stock to a Saiga-12 after Oct 1st is clearly against the law.

If i'm wrong, please cite your references, I think we're all a little confused on the fine print, so i've missed something in my own reading, I want to know. Thanks!

b00sh

Feb 7, 2013
    Good to know. Wasn't sure because there was a lot of static about them while the dust was settling and I wasn't keeping up. Side folding stocks aren't really my cup of tea, anyway.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I disagree, the fine print which I believe you are referring to did not make the final cut on what the bill that passed. On page 10-11 of the final bill, all of the "pistol grip" language was stuck out. I'm referencing the final sb0281e.pdf document that can be found linked in multiple places on this site.

True

Fixed

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    No worries. S-12s will still be legal to buy after Oct 1, and as long as it still meets the features test it will be legal to convert post-ban as well.

IMO pay the extra for a VEPR-12 if you can find one. All the work's done, plus some more features (auto gas system, LRBHO mags, proper front handguards, etc).
    Second that! I've got a converted saiga, and would rather have a Vepr.

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    + 1 I have the brand new factory folder vepr 12 amazing shooter and so sexy great gun and less then a conversion ready out the box

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    +1 on the vepr 12. if i can find one i will not hesitate to buy

I had mine in the classifieds this weekend and "sold" quick. Now the dick i sold it to is backing out even after i let him shoot it. "Kicks too much". Will be back in the classifieds tomorrow if i don't get the issue resolved.

The Vepr 12 is a beast.

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    +1 on the vepr 12. if i can find one i will not hesitate to buy

classic arms, atlantic, arms of america all have preorders for the new factory folding svd stock model comfortable and so fun to shoot i got mine from the first ones imported by royal tiger ser# oo1

classic arms, atlantic, arms of america all have preorders for the new factory folding svd stock model comfortable and so fun to shoot i got mine from the first ones imported by royal tiger ser# oo1

it sucks that they have to weld the stocks though. if i get one in that configuration, is it legal to make the folder operable again? and it looks like they are in stock at classic

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    it sucks that they have to weld the stocks though. if i get one in that configuration, is it legal to make the folder operable again? and it looks like they are in stock at classic

they are subject to 922r so you have to change parts but that was only 100 bucks

shooter53

Apr 9, 2013
    I had mine in the classifieds this weekend and "sold" quick. Now the dick i sold it to is backing out even after i let him shoot it. "Kicks too much". Will be back in the classifieds tomorrow if i don't get the issue resolved.

The Vepr 12 is a beast.

did you sell it yet? and what were you asking for it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom