• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Okay, I was wondering if any gunsmiths locally (I am in Carroll) would do a conversion, to add a bullet guide and such to a Saiga so I can use the 30rd AK mags, or is this totally illegal and they won't do it? I have seen write ups on the web on "how" to do it, but I'm not 100% confident I can do it without F'ing up my gun. I just don't know if I want to pay $30-40 per Surefire mag, but I think in the long run the AK mags would be cheaper. I know it's legal to possess 30 rd mags in MD, but not buy them here, or ship them too, so I will be hiking up to PA. I'd at least like to upgrade my SHTF go-to gun for now. Thanks :thumbsup:

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Also take a look at this Youtube tut (the guide is added in one of the subsequent steps):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5-z7eXzWgc

Completely legal to do in MD, since it's already a "regulated weapon" same as an AK. What you do have to be aware of is 922(r) since you are changing the gun from its imported form and will have to replace a certain number of parts. If you add a bullet guide, you should also consider moving the FCG forward and adding a PG and stock.

I've done a few conversions, they are pretty easy and there's plenty of good info over on the Saiga 12 forums. There are ways to screw it up, but all you really need is a hand drill and a minimum of mechanical skill.

I would go to Carolina Shooter's Supply for the bullet guide and other conversion parts, they have the cheapest prices and a good selection.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Okay, I was wondering if any gunsmiths locally (I am in Carroll) would do a conversion, to add a bullet guide and such to a Saiga so I can use the 30rd AK mags, or is this totally illegal and they won't do it? I have seen write ups on the web on "how" to do it, but I'm not 100% confident I can do it without F'ing up my gun. I just don't know if I want to pay $30-40 per Surefire mag, but I think in the long run the AK mags would be cheaper. I know it's legal to possess 30 rd mags in MD, but not buy them here, or ship them too, so I will be hiking up to PA. I'd at least like to upgrade my SHTF go-to gun for now. Thanks :thumbsup:

You can add the 30rd Saiga mags (which are US made) which have the guide built into the magazine without any other conversions. Saves the trouble of the bullet guide install. Also with the US Mags (counts as 3 US made parts) you can still use an imported stock set and meet 922(r) compliance.

4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    I did the conversion myself, and it was easy. The only thing that I got help with was the bullet guide. The metal in the trunion is very hard and will break off a drill or tap if you are not very careful. Be sure to keep the hole clear of metal chards as you are drilling and tapping, and I would definitely use a drill press and not try to drill it by hand. Otherwise the conversion is pretty simple using a dremel and a drill. The first time is the hardest, but once you do it, you will realize how simply and fast the job can be done. I plugged the old FCG holes with plastic plugs that work great.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Definitely.

No guide required on the .308 as there are no milsurp mags for it anyway. Conversion is the same as other Saigas, with the exception of needing to relieve the hammer of a little material so it clears the center support.

I believe with the .308s you will frequently have to cut your own PG hole. But that's easy to do.

M6HTZ

Nov 1, 2008
    Signal Mountain, TN
    Has anyone ever heard of 'converting' the .308 Saiga to an AK like configuration?

Yes, I converted a Saiga .308. It was my first conversion, and I'm a total gun amateur. I did a little research and purchased a trigger conversion kit from http://www.dinzagarms.com/. The trigger is machined to be a drop in piece, for me it was well worth it. The trigger is very crisp and has no slap.

The conversion took me a few hours, I took my time. I was fortunate to have the PG hole pre-drilled. Basically you remove the "clinton Plate" which is held in place by 2 welds. This is the hardest part. With a little massaging it will eventually come off.

Add a trigger guard, attach the pistol grip and stock. Then install the trigger group. Of course you may want to refinish the receiver, i used black high temperature engine paint.

The gun is awesome. The trigger is a giant improvement for stock. I really am happy with the conversion. The gun is reliable, fairly accurate and handles great.

The only downside is the lack of cheap mags. I purchased a few that run well, but they are expensive. Promag has decent priced 25 rounders, but i have not tried them yet.

Last edited:

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I second the DIY route on the conversion. I did my Saiga x39 and it was straight forward. Unfortunately I had to drill the PG hole, but I made a template and it wasn't too bad.

I will second the caution on the bullet guide. The trunnion is no joke. It's very hard to drill through, but go slow and you'll be fine. This was the first time I used a tap-ever. Thankfully I followed Dinzag's directions and only did a quarter turn and stop before cleaning. It was a slow process and I finally lost patience. The very first try at turning more than a quarter of a turn and some threads snapped off the shank. I was over 90% complete, so I was able to finish with the damaged tap.

I also just bought flat black BBQ paint for the receiver-looks great!

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    I did my Saiga 12 conversion myself. Not too hard, took about 2 hours. I could probably do it in 45 min or so now that I know what I'm doing. I understand that the 7.62 is slightly different (more steps involved), but there is an excellent post on Zombie Hunters detailing the Saiga 12 conversion with pictures of each step. At least it will give you an idea of whats involved.

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=45781&start=0

Sirex