• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    Ok, in light of the recent down hill thread about the gas piston AR...:sad20:
    I think my new project is going to be a Saiga conversion, but this one is not for me. My brother has been wanted an AK for some time, he just dosen't have the means. I bought him an SKS a long time ago, and his birthday is in february.
    I found this model Saiga on Atlantic's site and it looks half way converted already.
    Tell me some good news....not like the last thread...:lol:
    http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct1076.aspx
    IZ340.jpg

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    If I didn't already have several converted Saigas, I'd be all over one of these. Only two caveats: as mentioned, no accessory lug on the gas block. And second, unless Atlantic has gotten a new shipment in, these all have scratched out import marks at the rear right of the receiver (you can see an odd patch in the photo you posted). It's just cosmetic, but it's not pretty.

Otherwise all the rest of the conversion is the same and will only take an afternoon to finish up.

I don't know why anyone would buy the older Saigas now that Atlantic is offering these... totally worth the premium for the extra work and furniture already done on the front end.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I don't know why anyone would buy the older Saigas now that Atlantic is offering these... totally worth the premium for the extra work and furniture already done on the front end.

Price is the only reason. You can pick up a 7.62 "normal" saiga for $299.00. I too would be all over these if they didn't cost 50% more than they should.

-Ji

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    If I didn't already have several converted Saigas, I'd be all over one of these. Only two caveats: as mentioned, no accessory lug on the gas block. And second, unless Atlantic has gotten a new shipment in, these all have scratched out import marks at the rear right of the receiver (you can see an odd patch in the photo you posted). It's just cosmetic, but it's not pretty.

Otherwise all the rest of the conversion is the same and will only take an afternoon to finish up.

If I were in the market I'd buy one of these too. I waited the longest for the handguard retainer from Dinzag when I did mine, took them almost 7 weeks to get it to me.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    I think Im going to buy one to try my first conversion. I'll search around and see what tips for the process I can find.

adamwzl

Aug 1, 2011
    Eastern Shore / Annapolis
    Has anyone purchased one of these yet? If so how's the quality and mag options, does the bullet guide need to be installed etc..

Also would you suggest just grab the SGL31 or do the conversion on this IZ340?

And of course the million dollar question is it regulated? I know some of the older Saiga models are in a grey area and their more of a sporterized look which can pass off as non regulated. Some dealers do the MD paper work/ some dont.

I don't mind having to do the MD regulated check, but in all honestly would much prefer to stick with just the 4473.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Is there a similar one to this that could easily have an optic added to it?

I'm kinda interested in one. Unless someone has a better more affordable idea?

chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    Has anyone purchased one of these yet? If so how's the quality and mag options, does the bullet guide need to be installed etc..

And of course the million dollar question is it regulated? I know some of the older Saiga models are in a grey area and their more of a sporterized look which can pass off as non regulated. Some dealers do the MD paper work/ some dont.

I don't mind having to do the MD regulated check, but in all honestly would much prefer to stick with just the 4473.

That AK Style handguard pretty much disqualifies it from being unregulated. The handguard mod is easy anyways.

adamwzl

Aug 1, 2011
    thanks man. Yea been debating the saiga since talking about it this weekend at your place. 5.45 seems the way to go in price of shooting. But im stuck on the sgl31 or getting my hands dirty and doing the conversion. Still unsure what way to go. haha.

adamwzl

Aug 1, 2011
    Is there a similar one to this that could easily have an optic added to it?

I'm kinda interested in one. Unless someone has a better more affordable idea?

There are saiga rails that can be had for around 80-200$ that fit the older version style hand guards.

Also you could probably just do a drill and tap on the older version and install the AK style scope mount, and get the kvar mount for it. The new iz340 comes with it pre-installed.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    That AK Style handguard pretty much disqualifies it from being unregulated. The handguard mod is easy anyways.

The handguard has nothing to do with it being regulated. Not one. The handguard is not the "threatening" feature. If they are imported unmolested then they should not be considered regulated since the evil parts are the bayonet lug, threaded fsb, and pistol grip. This model has none of those features. The only thing hinting at it being regulated would be if it can, and most likely, can take regular capacity mags.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly

If all you care about is putting on a pistol grip and milspec buttstock with nothing else in mind involving serious gunsmithing then the IZ340 is for you.

If you want to go the full Monty with the bayonet lug, threaded front sight base, cleaning rod holder, and all serious gunsmithing professionally done along with a better resale value then go with the arsenal.

chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    The handguard has nothing to do with it being regulated. Not one. The handguard is not the "threatening" feature. If they are imported unmolested then they should not be considered regulated since the evil parts are the bayonet lug, threaded fsb, and pistol grip. This model has none of those features. The only thing hinting at it being regulated would be if it can, and most likely, can take regular capacity mags.

I'm with you 100% , i'm just going on what my local FFL said. I went with the IZ-240 because i didn't want to push my luck which turned out to be the right thing to do. When I went to pick it up yesterday I asked if he would have gone unregulated on it if I had gotten the IZ340 and he said he would have probably ran it regulated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Imetthevarmit

Latest threads

Top Bottom