• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Well, I have gotten back to working on my project Saiga 12 SBS for my demo. Started thinking, it would be cool to drop a deer with it and get some pics for advertising. I have looked around a little, and I don't see any restrictions by DNR that would prevent anyone from hunting with a registered SBS. So the question is, does anyone know of any laws or regulations that may prevent this?

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I haven't found anything either, but I still think I will call DNR just to ask. I know you can use a suppressor, and I have been told hunting anywhere with a machinegun is a no no.

Tractor Boy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 8, 2008
    Severn/Greenbelt/Iraq
    I haven't found anything either, but I still think I will call DNR just to ask. I know you can use a suppressor, and I have been told hunting anywhere with a machinegun is a no no.

whaaaaaaaaaaat?!?!????? so I cant use my F/A toys to take out some squirrels........ awww shucks!

Kinda figured that, I would do the same thing, call and get exact details

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I have to see if I can find the full auto prohibition again, but for SBS the only thing I can think of would be for an SBR if it reduced the muzzle energy enough to be below the minimum, but for slugs (and buckshot in the few places it is allowed in MD) out of a shotgun, I do not know of any muzzle energy requirement.

Tractor Boy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 8, 2008
    Severn/Greenbelt/Iraq
    I have to see if I can find the full auto prohibition again, but for SBS the only thing I can think of would be for an SBR if it reduced the muzzle energy enough to be below the minimum, but for slugs (and buckshot in the few places it is allowed in MD) out of a shotgun, I do not know of any muzzle energy requirement.

I believe so, IIRC, you CANNOT use .410 and 28 gauge for deer hunting, I think due to muzzle energy, if I am wrong, please quote it from the book

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I believe so, IIRC, you CANNOT use .410 and 28 gauge for deer hunting, I think due to muzzle energy, if I am wrong, please quote it from the book

I don't know if gauge is mentioned, but after looking at COMAR (the regulations), for deer muzzle energy is indeed mentioned for slugs, single ball or saboted bullet.

B. Firearms.

(1) An individual may hunt deer and black bear only with the firearms in §B(2)—(5) of this regulation, subject to the restrictions provided in §§C and D of this regulation.

(2) A rifle or shotgun propelling one all-lead, lead alloy, or copper soft-nosed or expanding bullet or ball at a single discharge which generates at least 1,200 foot-pounds of muzzle energy is allowed.

(3) A handgun having a barrel length of 6 inches or longer and ammunition which produces a muzzle energy of 700 foot-pounds or more is allowed.

(4) A muzzle loading rifle or muzzle loading shotgun, not less than .40 caliber and using not less than 60 grains of black powder, or black powder equivalent, or a single shot muzzle loading handgun or muzzle loading revolver of not less than .40 caliber with a minimum barrel length of 6 inches and using not less than 40 grains of black powder, or a black powder equivalent, propelling one all-lead, lead alloy, or copper soft-nosed or expanding bullet or ball at a single discharge, is allowed. Sabot loads are allowed.

(5) In Dorchester County only, a shotgun propelling Number 1 size buckshot or larger is allowed.

(6) During the deer muzzle loader season, an individual may use a telescopic sight on a muzzle loading firearm.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    You should actually see if the saiga is even remotely accurate with slugs before even worrying about this. My 19" saiga shoots slugs almost 18-20" low at 50 yards, but it shoots point of aim with 00 buck and trap loads.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I do know I read somewhere you can not use anything smaller then a 20 gauge, as a friend and I looked it up once because we were curious about 28 gauge. I will have to chrono my slugs and do the math, but I would imagine the 1 oz slug out of a 12" 12 gauge should meet the criteria.

I have shot a few slugs out of it, and it seems like it will be ok. I just installed the HK sights, as well as some other upgrades, and I need to get it all finished up before I zero it in.

IlikeNFA

Certified Gear Queer
    Aug 27, 2008
    Goodbye MD, Hello freedom
    my 19'' was benched (albeit a ghetto bench) about .5'' low at 50yds with both remington and winchester super x. more than acceptable by my standards for a smooth-bore at that distance.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Some shot guns shoot slugs and shot to a similar point of aim, others vary a lot, my pump and SXS are pretty consistent, they put shot and slugs into about the same spot, but my Beretta semi shoots slugs about 4" low at 25 yards. I remember the SPASS 12 had a ghost ring type rear sight with a notch at the bottom of the rear ring, for shot, you center the post in the ring, for slugs you put the post in the notch at the bottom of the rear ring, in that case, the spass shoots slugs high relative to shot. As long as you find the proper sight picture, and it groups slugs well enough, it shouldn't be a problem

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    Some shot guns shoot slugs and shot to a similar point of aim, others vary a lot, my pump and SXS are pretty consistent, they put shot and slugs into about the same spot, but my Beretta semi shoots slugs about 4" low at 25 yards. I remember the SPASS 12 had a ghost ring type rear sight with a notch at the bottom of the rear ring, for shot, you center the post in the ring, for slugs you put the post in the notch at the bottom of the rear ring, in that case, the spass shoots slugs high relative to shot. As long as you find the proper sight picture, and it groups slugs well enough, it shouldn't be a problem

My Benelli shoots slugs way higher than any sort of round shot. I attribute it to the high rib and generally awful ballistics of birdshot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom