• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spur0701

Dec 31, 2009
    So we got back from a 2 week vacation to find the freezer in the garage had gone out on us, we ended up losing about 100 lbs or so of pork and chicken and a little beef, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. As we were cleaning up from it my wife was looking at the bright side by say "Good thing this didn't happen as we were leaving for the airport to catch our plane, that would have been a bigger mess, how would we have handled that, it's better that it happened after we left and didn't know it so we are only out a few hundred dollars? "

Added to this instance, her sister lives outside of Ottawa and they lost power for 10 days about a month ago after some severe thunderstorms rolled through their area, they didn't have a generator and they lost a lot of food. We have a generator in case power goes down but both of these instances led to a larger discussion of how we would have handled this since in our case it wasn't an issue of the power being out but the freezer its self breaking and with the supply chain issues since corona it's harder to get parts or new freezers.

We have a pool that uses a salt water chlorine generator and a water softener for the whole house so we always have about 400-600 lbs of rock salt or pool salt on hand. Given that, as we were brainstorming what we would do if we suddenly didn't have a freezer my thought was for the meat that wasn't ground was to simply bury it in salt or a salt brine instead of lose it.

My parents grew up on on farms during the depression and I remember back in the day in the early 70's when I was a wee punk and meat prices spiked they raised a couple of hogs with a neighbor and when they were slaughtered that winter all the meat was arranged on a folding table on the back screen porch in a shallow 8 inch deep wooden box and it was all simply buried in salt until we used it.....I can't remember if they did anything else, I know they didn't smoke it, but they are both gone so I can't ask.

I did a search and found this vid, but it used a frig and is for small batches:

I know rock salt isn't processed for human consumption and I also know there are special curing salts............anyone have any further resources or info on anything like this?

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I remeber in winter my grand parents use the porch as a cooler because it wasnt heated and always cold. Northern exposure of house. So Im betting winter and porch is free chiller. :shrug:

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Pink Curing salt contains sodium nitrite: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_nitrite

Gives ham its pink color. I use it very sparingly in jerky if the jerky is going to be at room temps instead of the fridge.

Hi Mountain and a zillion other companies have dry cures or you can make your own.

I'd probably go the dehryation/smoking/jerky route for long term meat storage if power was not available.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Oddly enough I looked into this exact thing a few months ago when the thought crossed my mind. I didn't have much luck with any hard copy resources like books. It appears to be a lost art almost. Below is a good video I found on salt curing meat from pre electric days.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    If you do home canning, you can pressure can any raw meat. Beef, Pork, Venison and even chicken.

Amish and the other religons like Adventists and Mormons do it for their preparation pantries since you need no refrigeration just a root or stone cellar storage.

Where do you think the idea for canned Corn Beef and Spam came from?

Last edited:

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I have a few bags of Morton Tender quick meat curing salt. I bought mine at Geresbecks Grocery. Only place I could find it. I use it to make Corned beef which is made from deer meat. Use pickling spice, tender quick and cold water and in fridge for about a week. You may have to order it online from like Amazon

Sodium Nitrite- Cure #1/Instacure/Prague Powder/etc. is cheap, easily found and offers a much bigger safety net that just salt curing.
    It is not to be confused with Sodium Nitrate- Cure #2 which is used for long process, uncooked meats like pepperoni or hard salami.
    An 2lb bag of Cure #1 goes a long way (think decades) and would be a nice addition to a prepper's pantry.

beetles

MDS Supporter
    Dec 19, 2021
    So we got back from a 2 week vacation to find the freezer in the garage had gone out on us, we ended up losing about 100 lbs or so of pork and chicken and a little beef, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. As we were cleaning up from it my wife was looking at the bright side by say "Good thing this didn't happen as we were leaving for the airport to catch our plane, that would have been a bigger mess, how would we have handled that, it's better that it happened after we left and didn't know it so we are only out a few hundred dollars? "

Added to this instance, her sister lives outside of Ottawa and they lost power for 10 days about a month ago after some severe thunderstorms rolled through their area, they didn't have a generator and they lost a lot of food. We have a generator in case power goes down but both of these instances led to a larger discussion of how we would have handled this since in our case it wasn't an issue of the power being out but the freezer its self breaking and with the supply chain issues since corona it's harder to get parts or new freezers.

We have a pool that uses a salt water chlorine generator and a water softener for the whole house so we always have about 400-600 lbs of rock salt or pool salt on hand. Given that, as we were brainstorming what we would do if we suddenly didn't have a freezer my thought was for the meat that wasn't ground was to simply bury it in salt or a salt brine instead of lose it.

My parents grew up on on farms during the depression and I remember back in the day in the early 70's when I was a wee punk and meat prices spiked they raised a couple of hogs with a neighbor and when they were slaughtered that winter all the meat was arranged on a folding table on the back screen porch in a shallow 8 inch deep wooden box and it was all simply buried in salt until we used it.....I can't remember if they did anything else, I know they didn't smoke it, but they are both gone so I can't ask.

I did a search and found this vid, but it used a frig and is for small batches:

I know rock salt isn't processed for human consumption and I also know there are special curing salts............anyone have any further resources or info on anything like this?

The Foxfire book series on Appalachian homesteading had chapters on preserving meat.

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    Oddly enough I looked into this exact thing a few months ago when the thought crossed my mind. I didn't have much luck with any hard copy resources like books. It appears to be a lost art almost. Below is a good video I found on salt curing meat from pre electric days.

I do 18th century living history, the Townsends videos are a priceless resource. We all use the cooking series.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    You can sure with just salt, been done for centuries. Instead of your pool material look for this

The high grade went for about $7 a #50 bag at southern states when I got it last.
    If you’re going to do it that way, definitely buy the high grade with no additives. Standard or iodized salts typically have anticaking agents in them which can affect the curing process.

All that said, highly recommend keeping pink curing salts around, ideally both if you’re intending to prep for the end of the world. Salt, both varieties of curing salt, and pressure canning give you a lot of options for preservation of meat.

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    In case anyone is interested in fish. Salted fish can be fridge stable for a very long time. I salt fish more than anything else. Salt cod is easy as hell to make, you can use most fish. It was my ancestors the Basque that invented the process. They used it as a way to preserve the cod from newfoundland to Euzkadi (land of the Basques), a long journey back in the 1500s.
    It changes the texture and concentrates the flavor. It's a bit chewier but it grows on you very quickly. You have to soak in water 48 hours, changing twice, before using to get rid of excess saltiness.

Most common in stews(most popular way), tapas, appetizers and more.
    We call it Bacalhao or Bacalao. Back-ah-lao.

I use this method but without the sugar. Maybe one day I'll try using sugar as well. You end up using a lot of salt. I use Morton kosher.

Last edited:

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    You might want to check out "Biltong" making as yet another string to your bow & a little variety for when the balloon goes up & after.
    No electricity or heat required.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    There is a reason you have salt cured pork (ham) and you don't see it with other things. My buddy has salt cured and smoked hams and they are fine because of the fat content. My personal opinion, if the fat oils keep the meat in good form. You can store it for year like that.

I tried smoking and a drying goose and duck breast whole and it was hard and darn near inedible unless you were starving. I soaked it in water to rehydrate and days layer it was still hard in the center. It was like slicing a soft rock to try and get slices to rehydrate. It seems to be the reason all low fat meats are jerked or done like Biltong.

Also, you cannot imagine tender meat until you pressure can meat. I can save deer roasts and back strap and fish and can the rest or grind. I put in 3/4" cubes or so and it come out like pulled pork but very tender. It lasts for years if stored cool and dark. The tendons and membranes melt in the cooking if you don't trim it all out. I trim all fat and still get a ring as the top to pop out with a fork. Deer fat is good and hard and easy to remove.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom