Santa decided I needed a rifle, now what?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • natsb

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2013
    southern MD
    I'll admit that I am a hard person to gift for. That could be why Santa did what he did. My wife and I were walking through a gun show when we passed a display by DOS Arms. I said "Look. AR's are still for sale in Maryland." She said "Do you want one?" I said "I am more of a pistol shooter, but some day it would be nice to have one." I continued on and she lagged behind and talked to the people behind the table.

Fast forward to Christmas morning, and guess what is under the tree? I don't even know where to start. Well... I did go out and buy some ammo; that seemed like a logical step. I know where the scope goes, but I am not sure what to do with the laser and flashlight.

I have spent the last two days reading all those AR threads I usually skip over and watching a ton of YouTube. I am able to take it apart, clean it, lube it, and reassemble it now. My brother (ret. Army) was a big help.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I already feel the excitement. No wonder people who have these guns act like addicts. I am already wondering what to add or change. The barrel is kind of heavy, so maybe a bi-pod is in the future.

By the way... Is anyone familiar with DOS Arms in Pasadena, MD. It would be nice to know what parts this gun was built with.

DSC_0542_edited-1_zpsc01cac73.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    No body parts visible in the pics, this can't be real...

Congratulations on the rifle (sorry, I don't know anything about the manufacturer).

AFrancis

Sep 4, 2013
    Elkridge, MD
    Nice looking rifle, shoot me a message if you have specific questions, I'm always up for a good AR discussion. I'm rather new here so don't want to spam the board with things you may already know :)! Happy Shooting!!

natsb

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2013
    southern MD
    Nice looking rifle, shoot me a message if you have specific questions, I'm always up for a good AR discussion. I'm rather new here so don't want to spam the board with things you may already know :)! Happy Shooting!!

I assure you there is not a lot I already know.

I am looking for a specific part already. There is a riser thingy that lifts the scope so it can see past the front sight. I cannot fully see the iron sights through this riser (not sure what it is called). I would love to have a riser with a tunnel for the iron sights or perhaps a riser that would let me flip the scope out of the way. Do either of these options exist?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 4

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    My friends all told me I needed an AR. I thought they were wrong but eventually I gave in and got one. They are a blast to shoot. More fun than I could ever imagine. I now have more ARs than I care to admit.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I assure you there is not a lot I already know.

I am looking for a specific part already. There is a riser thingy that lifts the scope so it can see past the front sight. I cannot fully see the iron sights through this riser (not sure what it is called). I would love to have a riser with a tunnel for the iron sights or perhaps a riser that would let me flip the scope out of the way. Do either of these options exist?

you can get a rear sight with an embedded rail or vice versa, or you can just get a carry handle and attach a scope mount to it that leaves the iron sights still usable. I have this setup on one of my rifles and it works great. A fixed six power mounted over top of the carry handle allows me to engage close targets with ease and retain the ability to shoot out to 2-300 yards easily and accurately

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Your wife is awesome.

You could probably lighten up the rifle a bit by changing out the rail and using a different scope mount.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I have a RRA mid length with the 223 wylde. They call them HBARs for a reason. :rolleyes: I hate mine (weight wise, not accuracy, it is spot on....), but I can (legally) put a lighter upper on it, which I fully plan to do.

natsb

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2013
    southern MD
    Thats a very high mounted optic.....

If i remove the riser, and lower the scope, the front sight blocks the scope picture. I was kind of hoping I could get a riser 1/4 inch higher so I could use both the scope and the iron sights. I still don't know where to put that laser. Perhaps a rifle doesn't even need a laser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom