• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I got a piece of that right here. 47" tip to tip, 55# at 25 to almost 26" and starts stacking around there. It was meant to be a Blackfoot Indian bow copy and I recurved the tips and deflexed the center to have minimal brace weight to stay strung.

That's a nice looking bow Rob.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    It at least beats trying to stab dinner to death with a pen knife or a pointed stick. A gunshot advertises to every potential target as well as every hungry scrounger your presence and approximate location. For dinner as well as for defense one should be thinking more along the lines of dead falls, snares, and traps and low audible signature solutions. In an emergency situation you should keep as many options open as possible.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    For dinner as well as for defense one should be thinking more along the lines of dead falls, snares, and traps and low audible signature solutions. In an emergency situation you should keep as many options open as possible.

Man I borrowed one of those leg hold traps for catching some critters that wouldn't go in the box trap. Caught my two left fingers in one setting it. Hurt so bad I couldn't even cuss. Seems close to hitting a finger with a hammer. :o

That's a nice looking bow Rob.
    Thanks, D bows are pretty simple. I'd like to kill something with it but haven't hunted with one for 20 years. I'll just have to find a simple stand and smoke a doe with one just to kill one with it.

Nice, got a build thread?
    Negative I made this about 20 years ago. Just boiled the tips to recurve under toe with shoes on and heated the center over water on the grill and bent with a towel over the knee. It is deflexed to darn near brace height to remove all loading on the bow while strung. Seem little reason to have all that energy left in the bow and part of the reason why some are so noisy.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Man I borrowed one of those leg hold traps for catching some critters that wouldn't go in the box trap. Caught my two left fingers in one setting it. Hurt so bad I couldn't even cuss. Seems close to hitting a finger with a hammer. :o

The bigger the trap the more it hurts which is why they make various mechanical devices to assist in setting large traps. You could conceivably get yourself caught in your own trap and be unable to release yourself in which case the animals win. Almost as bad as being hoist by your own petard. Which is why they make trap setters for larger traps.

Link to trap setters:
    https://www.murrayslures.com/category-s/246.htm

Link to a really BIG trap each spring requires 375 pounds of pressure to set:
    https://www.schmittent.com/bear-trap-6-dakota-fur-trade

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The bigger the trap the more it hurts which is why they make various mechanical devices to assist in setting large traps. You could conceivably get yourself caught in your own trap and be unable to release yourself in which case the animals win. Almost as bad as being hoist by your own petard. Which is why they make trap setters for larger traps.

I thought OAC said it was a physical impossibility to be hoist by your own petard. :confused:

:D

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Yeah them traps suck. The neighbor went away last year to Alaska and call me and says he set a trap to catch a ground hog. Would I check it. I'll figuring a leg hold or box trap and take the 22 mag with me to dispatch one. He put a Conibear trap over the hole and this thing about crushed that groundhog. He said their was a reset tool in his shed and damn if I could find it. I think I turned red trying to squeeze that damn thing with both hands to be able to open and drop the pig out of it. He was all sticky and flies everywhere. That trap was way worse and I did not like messing with it at all.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Yeah them traps suck. The neighbor went away last year to Alaska and call me and says he set a trap to catch a ground hog. Would I check it. I'll figuring a leg hold or box trap and take the 22 mag with me to dispatch one. He put a Conibear trap over the hole and this thing about crushed that groundhog. He said their was a reset tool in his shed and damn if I could find it. I think I turned red trying to squeeze that damn thing with both hands to be able to open and drop the pig out of it. He was all sticky and flies everywhere. That trap was way worse and I did not like messing with it at all.

Bury trap and all just leave the end of the chain sticking out for your buddy so he can retrieve his trap when he gets back.:D

Link to pictures of Conibear traps for the non trappers:
    https://www.trueprepper.com/best-conibear-traps/

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I thought OAC said it was a physical impossibility to be hoist by your own petard. :confused:

:D

OAC = Ohio Athletic Conference ?

Bill Shakespeare seemed to think it was possible.

There’s letters sealed; and my two schoolfellows,
    Whom I will trust as I will adders fanged,
    They bear the mandate; they must sweep my way
    And marshal me to knavery. Let it work,
    For ’tis the sport to have the enginer
    Hoist with his own petard; and ’t shall go hard
    But I will delve one yard below their mines
    And blow them at the moon. O, ’tis most sweet
    When in one line two crafts directly meet.
    — Prince Hamlet, in Hamlet, Act 3, Scene 4.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Wrong AOC(and a little poetic license and justice applied and yes, I know what a petard is) :D

I don't think she could tell the difference between a bootstrap and a petard but she has has figured out how to pull herself up by a political win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom