• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    I just bought a Savage 110 Tactical Desert rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor from a store called Reeds Sports through gun broker. With a price of $659, it seemed reasonable given the current shortage of guns and ammo. I plan to slowly get into long distance shooting and attend Bangsteel next year when I have time during one of my visits to the US. Does anyone else here have a Savage 110 that they use for long distance shooting? What kind of scope are you using?

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I just bought a Savage 110 Tactical Desert rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor from a store called Reeds Sports through gun broker. With a price of $659, it seemed reasonable given the current shortage of guns and ammo. I plan to slowly get into long distance shooting and attend Bangsteel next year when I have time during one of my visits to the US. Does anyone else here have a Savage 110 that they use for long distance shooting? What kind of scope are you using?

I’ve got a Stealth BA 110. Same action as yours and it’s a tack driver with hand loads and Prime ammo.

I think thats a great price.

As for scope I’ve had a Vortex Viper PST Gen I 6-24x and took that out to 1200yds. I’ve used both Nightforce ATACR 5-25x and also a Steiner M5Xi 5-25 as well. They are better scopes for sure, but the $800 Vortex was well good enough to bang steel in normal daylight conditions.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    When are you planning to go to BangSteel? It’s been on my to do list for a long time, but I can never seem to be able to string together a few weekdays off. That could change with enough planning. If you are looking for a carpool companion I could see if I could make it work.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    I'm using the same vortex scope with FFP, their flavor of mil dot reticle and mil adjustments. Its a range toy ultimately and doubt it will see any use other than that. It is fun to have targets set up at unknown ranges and guess the distance with mil dot estimating trying for a cold bore hit. The mil/mil setup smooths out the math a bit.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I'm using the same vortex scope with FFP, their flavor of mil dot reticle and mil adjustments. Its a range toy ultimately and doubt it will see any use other than that. It is fun to have targets set up at unknown ranges and guess the distance with mil dot estimating trying for a cold bore hit. The mil/mil setup smooths out the math a bit.

I agree that getting used to thinking in mils is useful. All of my longer ranged rifles are setup with Mil reticles.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I have a 110 tactical desert in 300win mag. It's an awesome shooter and has a very roomy magazine for seating long heavy bullets right against the lands if needed. I haven't had a chance to take it past 600yds yet but it's a solid .5 moa rifle with handloads. Not very picky about load development either .

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    I never considered the Vortex scopes, since many people I see shooting long distance in the desert were using NightForce scopes. I'll have to take a look at Vortex, which I think will be better than my nikon for ranges over 500m. My previous scopes were all MOA based recticles, so it might be good to learn how to use mildot scopes. I don't know when I'll have time to attend Bangsteel, but I think I'll find time next year. I'm just luck enough to come back to the US for 1 1/5 months to pick up the rifle from my FFL, then it's off to the next job in the middle east.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    I'd buy a Nightforce or some other top of the line scope if money weren't a consideration. If you have the free cash and want to sink it into that, go for it. Gotta spend it on something. Maybe if I win the lottery or something I'll invest Nightforce type money in what is essentially a pastime.

Vortex seems to offer the best cost to quality balance in my price range, the glass is quality, they honor their warranty, their products have always passed the box test for me, and its enough to get a bullet on target out to 1000m if I'm having a good day.

I'd buy a Nightforce or some other top of the line scope if money weren't a consideration. If you have the free cash and want to sink it into that, go for it. Gotta spend it on something. Maybe if I win the lottery or something I'll invest Nightforce type money in what is essentially a pastime.

Vortex seems to offer the best cost to quality balance in my price range, the glass is quality, they honor their warranty, their products have always passed the box test for me, and its enough to get a bullet on target out to 1000m if I'm having a good day.

THIS!!!

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I never considered the Vortex scopes, since many people I see shooting long distance in the desert were using NightForce scopes. I'll have to take a look at Vortex, which I think will be better than my nikon for ranges over 500m. My previous scopes were all MOA based recticles, so it might be good to learn how to use mildot scopes. I don't know when I'll have time to attend Bangsteel, but I think I'll find time next year. I'm just luck enough to come back to the US for 1 1/5 months to pick up the rifle from my FFL, then it's off to the next job in the middle east.

The Vortex will be perfect for that gun. Nightforce is super nice, and if you had a $4,000 chassis gun it might be worth it, but the glass and functionality of the Vortex will be great for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom