• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jballo

Mar 21, 2013
    Ellicott City, MD
    Had a non-firing problem with my Savage 110BA in .338 Lapua. Had fired many rounds before, but only last 20 or so with a Silencer Central Suppressor. Last time out just got a light click when pulling trigger. Took bolt out, put it in non-cocked position and noticed firing pin did not extend out of bolt face. Did thorough cleaning in my sonic cleaner. Went through steps to adjust firing pin, but still no joy. Took bare firing pin and put it through bolt face, and barely any pin extended through bolt face. Ordered a new firing pin online (from Kinney's Shooting Supply) for a 110 long action (Savage part # SA-103979). New firing pin is shorter than original (5.251 vs 5.310)

Question: Is the required firing pin for a .338 Lapua a different part than what I received??

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Had a non-firing problem with my Savage 110BA in .338 Lapua. Had fired many rounds before, but only last 20 or so with a Silencer Central Suppressor. Last time out just got a light click when pulling trigger. Took bolt out, put it in non-cocked position and noticed firing pin did not extend out of bolt face. Did thorough cleaning in my sonic cleaner. Went through steps to adjust firing pin, but still no joy. Took bare firing pin and put it through bolt face, and barely any pin extended through bolt face. Ordered a new firing pin online (from Kinney's Shooting Supply) for a 110 long action (Savage part # SA-103979). New firing pin is shorter than original (5.251 vs 5.310)

Question: Is the required firing pin for a .338 Lapua a different part than what I received??
    I'd drop a dime to kinneys and have a chat about the firing pin length. All their parts are factory savage stuff IIRC. One of the things I've seen a couple times is crap (debris, pieces of a primer, metal.shavings from manufacturing, even pieces of a spring) obstructing forward travel of the striker assembly (firing pin in this case). Be especially observant of the dimension from firing pin tip to the stop, not just the overall length of the pin. That's what controls your pin protrusion. Should be about .060" depending on who you ask.

Sounds like you have a good handle on disassembly and part replacement but this site has some decent pictures and advice.

If you get stuck, shoot me a PM.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead

Sounds like you’re in good hands with 4g64loser, I’d always defer to his knowledge on rifles 10/10. I’m curious myself - is the action on the 338 Lapua a long action as you stated, or is it a magnum action? I have a Ruger RPR in 338LM and I have no idea now if it’s ‘long’ or ‘magnum’ (be gentle peanut gallery). I assumed it was a magnum action, but now I’m questioning that.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Sounds like you’re in good hands with 4g64loser, I’d always defer to his knowledge on rifles 10/10. I’m curious myself - is the action on the 338 Lapua a long action as you stated, or is it a magnum action? I have a Ruger RPR in 338LM and I have no idea now if it’s ‘long’ or ‘magnum’ (be gentle peanut gallery). I assumed it was a magnum action, but now I’m questioning that.
    Measure your magazine cutout in the receiver. If you don't want to tear it down, just measure the length of the magazine and that will get you close. I'm pretty sure that your rpr is 3.850" mag pattern. Most would classify this as a "magnum" length rather than the 3.43" length that is more common to "normal" long actions. Some will disagree. Functionally, it is the actual magazine length that is your limit, not the words someone picks to describe it.

I did a 338 wildcat for a buddy and it was on a cz550 magnum (they sold factory guns called the HET for a while). Took full length CIP mags. Great rig to a mile. Made sure to use the 3.85" (CIP length) mag setup so he can run 300s out long and keep all his powder capacity. OPs savage uses the same magazine length IIRC.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Measure your magazine cutout in the receiver. If you don't want to tear it down, just measure the length of the magazine and that will get you close. I'm pretty sure that your rpr is 3.850" mag pattern. Most would classify this as a "magnum" length rather than the 3.43" length that is more common to "normal" long actions. Some will disagree. Functionally, it is the actual magazine length that is your limit, not the words someone picks to describe it.

I did a 338 wildcat for a buddy and it was on a cz550 magnum (they sold factory guns called the HET for a while). Took full length CIP mags. Great rig to a mile. Made sure to use the 3.85" (CIP length) mag setup so he can run 300s out long and keep all his powder capacity. OPs savage uses the same magazine length IIRC.
    Mucho gracias.

3.85” it is.
    8F44B193-7202-47A5-B2D0-C6D1276ABE6B.jpeg

Last edited:

jballo

Mar 21, 2013
    Ellicott City, MD
    I'd drop a dime to kinneys and have a chat about the firing pin length. All their parts are factory savage stuff IIRC. One of the things I've seen a couple times is crap (debris, pieces of a primer, metal.shavings from manufacturing, even pieces of a spring) obstructing forward travel of the striker assembly (firing pin in this case). Be especially observant of the dimension from firing pin tip to the stop, not just the overall length of the pin. That's what controls your pin protrusion. Should be about .060" depending on who you ask.

Sounds like you have a good handle on disassembly and part replacement but this site has some decent pictures and advice.

If you get stuck, shoot me a PM.
    Talked with Patrick at Kinneys. He thought the long action firing pins were the same but he said he would contact Savage to check. He got back to me and replied that Savage said the 338 Lapua was a different firing pin. (I had emailed Savage but I guess they don't talk about/sell parts to retail customers) He said he ordered some from Savage and would place them on the web site. A couple of days later, I was able to order one and received it yesterday. Would like to commend Kinneys for their great customer service, would recommend them to everyone.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Talked with Patrick at Kinneys. He thought the long action firing pins were the same but he said he would contact Savage to check. He got back to me and replied that Savage said the 338 Lapua was a different firing pin. (I had emailed Savage but I guess they don't talk about/sell parts to retail customers) He said he ordered some from Savage and would place them on the web site. A couple of days later, I was able to order one and received it yesterday. Would like to commend Kinneys for their great customer service, would recommend them to everyone.
    Glad to hear they took care of you.

The 338 actions were their own animal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom