• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • adjusterr

Mar 28, 2011
    Indian Springs, Western MD
    A friend using my range to shoot in a rifle had a disturbing occurrence. The rifle, an older Model 340 bolt action, I believe .222 or .22-250, fired with no trigger contact. My friend had bolted a round in the chamber and pulled the safety in the downward position, at that point the rifle fired. Fortunately the rifle was properly pointed downrange so no problem. We emptied the rifle and was able to re-create the problem. We operated the bolt as if the gun was loaded, the thumb safety was in the "fire" position, when the safety was pulled down to the "safe" position, using his thumb, you could see the trigger move backwards as if it was being pulled. We loaded the rifle and used the same process but were unable to re-create the actual accidental fire. Obviously, the rifle is on it's way to his Gunsmith. Has anyone had a similar incident?

I had a 110 30-06.I bought it new and had maybe 50 rds. through it with no problems.Sold it to a friend a yr. or 2 later,at that time we went to the range and shot it a few times with no problems.The following deer season,he went to check zero and Bang,the same thing you encountered.Everytime he took the safety off,it would fire.I don't know if he ever found out what the problem was though.He moved to Va. and I only spoke with him a few times after that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mr88

Latest threads

Top Bottom