• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The original text of SB 1097 is about destroying guns turned in at "Gun Buy Backs" (yeah, right). John Josselyn at 2A MD has received advanced word that on Monday 3/10/24 SB 1097 will be rewritten by amendments making it somewhere between very difficult and impossible for MD HQL and Wear and Carry instructors to renew their instructor certifications in MD.

Josselyn suspects this was the original intent of the sponsor and is a bait and switch to try to conceal the anti2A nefarious intent.

If this happens I expect a ton of duplicate threads

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    I wonder what they can do, maybe require insurance, maybe some many classes a year, or have a permanent place to teach aka not out of their living room. They could also push for continuing education.

My bets are the ins, a place to teach and education. They cant attack the person so much as make it pricey.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    The original text of SB 1097 is about destroying guns turned in at "Gun Buy Backs" (yeah, right). John Josselyn at 2A MD has received advanced word that on Monday 3/10/24 SB 1097 will be rewritten by amendments making it somewhere between very difficult and impossible for MD HQL and Wear and Carry instructors to renew their instructor certifications in MD.

Josselyn suspects this was the original intent of the sponsor and is a bait and switch to try to conceal the anti2A nefarious intent.

If this happens I expect a ton of duplicate threads
    I think there is a special place in Hell for these people in Md and all the other 2A hating states.

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    Not to worry!

Soon all the Republicans in annapolis will start posting about" they are the minority against those evil democrats" ,and they made it better by changing some of the wording and fees..

And then vote for the bill. All to get your vote in the future!

Because they believe in the 2A!

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    “has received advanced word…will be rewritten”

Isn’t there already enough fear mongering on here?

Sigh.

Boomers gonna boom.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Okay I just watched the committee video where they talked about this. First I was wrong above.

Second they said two things, one an official cert by the MSP with what is taught, if you ask me this is covered by 835 or what ever it was last year. Probably done by a multiple choice test that they later said to be given by a 3rd party. For those that dont know places like PSI testing do trade and realtor licensing, thats where I think they would go with this. Sounds like that whats the MSP wants, from the way they talked about it. To me its just to prevent ever tom dick and harry from being able to get the qhic just by sleeping thru the nra BIT class.

This is the second part, it sounds like they want to try to make a state mandated and standard training course for instructors to be a qhic. The guy who proposed the amendment said more than just a 2 day course and maybe 5 days. They made statements like go to this class and you get a different lesson than another class. This sounds like its time for the NRA to come in and say here is what what we say has to be taught, this is already done in the basic pistol and protection outside the home ccw course.

Lastly the guy who proposed the amendment said qhics went to him and asked for this. So it sounds like there is a few ghics trying to force out the rest. If I had to guess WAS would be one. If I found out who they actually were I would open a class as close as possible and teach right next door for cost.

video link time 1 hour 20 mins is where it starts

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Okay I just watched the committee video where they talked about this. First I was wrong above.

Second they said two things, one an official cert by the MSP with what is taught, if you ask me this is covered by 835 or what ever it was last year. Probably done by a multiple choice test that they later said to be given by a 3rd party. For those that dont know places like PSI testing do trade and realtor licensing, thats where I think they would go with this. Sounds like that whats the MSP wants, from the way they talked about it. To me its just to prevent ever tom dick and harry from being able to get the qhic just by sleeping thru the nra BIT class.

This is the second part, it sounds like they want to try to make a state mandated and standard training course for instructors to be a qhic. The guy who proposed the amendment said more than just a 2 day course and maybe 5 days. They made statements like go to this class and you get a different lesson than another class. This sounds like its time for the NRA to come in and say here is what what we say has to be taught, this is already done in the basic pistol and protection outside the home ccw course.

Lastly the guy who proposed the amendment said qhics went to him and asked for this. So it sounds like there is a few ghics trying to force out the rest. If I had to guess WAS would be one. If I found out who they actually were I would open a class as close as possible and teach right next door for cost.

Worth A Shit strikes again.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Worth A Shit strikes again.
    I did not say they are one, but it would not surprise me. I would not be surprised if one or two qhic's on here are not quietly cheering it on as well.

Especially considering one here ( no idea which one ) complained to a mod that I was talking about what I teach when I am not an IP. But I dont teach outside the club I belong to and dont even get paid for that, so I am not a threat to the wallet of any IP here. Yet to be nice I removed the QHIC from my sig line.

Its kind of funny we have a bunch of people here who complain the class is a bunch of BS and an infringement yet we have those here who complain if some takes a dime out of their pocket teaching the infringement class. Just as bad as the guys who have 20 YO nfa MGs who dont want hughes over turned because it will hurt the value of their collection.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I did not say they are one, but it would not surprise me. I would not be surprised if one or two qhic's on here are not quietly cheering it on as well.

Especially considering one here ( no idea which one ) complained to a mod that I was talking about what I teach when I am not an IP. But I dont teach outside the club I belong to and dont even get paid for that, so I am not a threat to the wallet of any IP here. Yet to be nice I removed the QHIC from my sig line.

Its kind of funny we have a bunch of people here who complain the class is a bunch of BS and an infringement yet we have those here who complain if some takes a dime out of their pocket teaching the infringement class. Just as bad as the guys who have 20 YO nfa MGs who dont want hughes over turned because it will hurt the value of their collection.
    You should add it back.
    I am in the same situation. I only teach on a volunteer basis. Mostly scouts, youth shoots, the club, WoT. I have put out quite a bit of money over the years getting the needed certs to do the volunteer work. Talking about what you are doing and actively recruiting are two different avenues.
    I read the title and thought, how much is this going to cost me now to maintain QHIC. But until the facts are in, this all FUD is in true MDS fashion. I don't know the OP, but I do know John. He is not one to make idle innuendo and BS. So I guess we wait until next week to find out.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    The amendments are being presented by Senator Mike McKay(R) District 1 (Washington, Allegany, and Garret counties).
    So not coming from a Democrat.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Watching to see how this shakes out

I'd sure like to know who went and asked for this. I doubt that will ever come out.
    I have asked, if I find out, I will let you know. The committee will revisit this on Tuesday.

I would encourage everyone to hammer the committee between now and then and advise them to table this until it is it's own bill for next year.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD

The only "5 day class" is the mpctc instructor course for law enforcement. Day 1 is basic handgun, 2 shotgun, and 3 carbine. The remaining 2 days are red dots, safety and the equivalent of BIT.

But the course is only available to law enforcement. I can see how some instructors would push for that, if they were retired law enforcrment instructors. Co incidentally, california has done the same thing in SB2, only law enforcement instructors and instructors taught by a state accredited school can teach the ccw courses.

The nra instructor course would be 1 day student basic pistol. 2 days nra student ccw. 4 hours bit. 1 day nra basic pistol instructor. At the bare minimum. 4.5 days of much more relevant instruction than the mpctc course. For instructors that went the ppith and ppoth routes, that adds 4 more days as students, and more days in instructor courses.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The amendments are being presented by Senator Mike McKay(R) District 1 (Washington, Allegany, and Garret counties).
    So not coming from a Democrat.

Well there's a Plot Twist of a Different Horse Breed !

We KNOW how similar change is playing out in California . It only takes 0.0000001 sq mm of tinfoil tucked in your hatband to see how Illinois intends likewise with their identical . ( Hint - Price Increase , and more importantly massive reduction in availability of * Required * training * )

Is Sen McKay ( R) ( Western Maryland) actually well meaning , not aware of the recent massive PDF from MSP laying out a mandatory, uniform class Content , and generally not know when to leave well enough alone ?

Is he actually only give lip service to 2A and have lots I'd But , but s ?

Is he being played for a dupe by the Dems ?

Someone from WM give the rest of us some background please .

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Apparently he isn't up to date on the law passed last year.

statements like go to this class and you get a different lesson than another class.
    There were several people here on MDS that shreeked that over and over until the new law came into effect in October. He could very well be reading it directly from MDS. Mary Shelly tried to warn us with the alegory in Frankenstein. Once you give life to an idea, it can morph away from you to become a monster - and - ideas are immortal. This idea can't be un-idea-ed.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    IMHO, we should spend half an hour this weekend sending 30,000 + emails to the JPR saying "No" to SB 1097.

To borrow from 2A Maryland- see this

The Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee will vote on the following bills .... sometime Next week.

PLEASE EMAIL THE COMMITTEE MEMBERS AND URGE THEM TO OPPOSE THESE BILLS:

SB 1097 Public Safety - Gun Buyback Programs - Destruction of Firearms
    Trojan Horse Amendments which are not related to buybacks, but will make it very difficult for carry permit instructors to keep their training certifications are pending from the bill sponsor.​

Last Name​
    First Name​
    Email​
    Smith​
    Will​
    Waldstreicher​
    Jeff​
    Carter​
    Jill​
    Charles​
    Nick​
    James​
    Mary-Dulany​
    Kelly​
    Ariana​
    Muse​
    C. Anthony​
    Sydnor​
    Charles​

NEED TO CUT AND PASTE ALL EMAIL ADDRESSES?

Ariana Kelly (ariana.kelly@senate.state.md.us); C. Anthony Muse <anthony.muse@senate.state.md.us>; Charles Sydnor <charles.sydnor@senate.state.md.us>; Chris West <chris.west@senate.state.md.us>; Jeff Waldstreicher <jeff.waldstreicher@senate.state.md.us>; Jill Carter <jill.carter@senate.state.md.us>; Mary-Dulany James <marydulany.james@senate.state.md.us>; Mike McKay <mike.mckay@senate.state.md.us>; Nick Charles (nick.charles@senate.state.md.us); Will Smith <will.smith@senate.state.md.us>; William Folden <william.folden@senate.state.md.us>​

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    IMHO, we should spend half an hour this weekend sending 30,000 + emails to the JPR saying "No" to SB 1097.

To borrow from 2A Maryland- see this

The Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee will vote on the following bills .... sometime Next week.

PLEASE EMAIL THE COMMITTEE MEMBERS AND URGE THEM TO OPPOSE THESE BILLS:

SB 1097 Public Safety - Gun Buyback Programs - Destruction of Firearms
    Trojan Horse Amendments which are not related to buybacks, but will make it very difficult for carry permit instructors to keep their training certifications are pending from the bill sponsor.​

Last Name​
    First Name​
    Email​
    Smith​
    Will​
    Waldstreicher​
    Jeff​
    Carter​
    Jill​
    Charles​
    Nick​
    James​
    Mary-Dulany​
    Kelly​
    Ariana​
    Muse​
    C. Anthony​
    Sydnor​
    Charles​

NEED TO CUT AND PASTE ALL EMAIL ADDRESSES?

Ariana Kelly (ariana.kelly@senate.state.md.us); C. Anthony Muse <anthony.muse@senate.state.md.us>; Charles Sydnor <charles.sydnor@senate.state.md.us>; Chris West <chris.west@senate.state.md.us>; Jeff Waldstreicher <jeff.waldstreicher@senate.state.md.us>; Jill Carter <jill.carter@senate.state.md.us>; Mary-Dulany James <marydulany.james@senate.state.md.us>; Mike McKay <mike.mckay@senate.state.md.us>; Nick Charles (nick.charles@senate.state.md.us); Will Smith <will.smith@senate.state.md.us>; William Folden <william.folden@senate.state.md.us>​
    You make an excellent point. Thank you for the contact specifics.

On the keyboard now.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    IDK why Mike McKay's name isn't on the top list, but he is in the bottom cut and past email list.
    Is the the token (R) on the committee?

Most of the names are on the instant 2A nightmare list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom