• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Forget the old article, Delegate Smigiel is asking for help with any unintended consequences you have found in SB281. Let him (and us) know.

codefive

Jun 9, 2012
    I have contacted my officials numerous times over the past few months and have received ONE response from my US Rep one time and nothing at all from any of my other representatives ever.

Whats ironic is that Nancy Jacobs and her office have been in constant contact with me keeping me up to date on issues I have inquired about and I'm not even in her district and she knows it.

Jacobs for Governor! :party29:

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I have contacted my officials numerous times over the past few months and have received ONE response from my US Rep one time and nothing at all from any of my other representatives ever.

Whats ironic is that Nancy Jacobs and her office have been in constant contact with me keeping me up to date on issues I have inquired about and I'm not even in her district and she knows it.

Jacobs for Governor! :party29:

she just stated on facebook that the vote is scheduled for thursday.

to me that sounds like frosh and the governor need more time to twist arms, or untwist arms we twisted.

keep twisting fellas.

or they want to vote in the committee at the last possible minute on thursday to still get a floor vote on friday and be able to escape to their fall out shelters by dinner time.

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

P226RN

Not your average girl
    Jun 28, 2010
    I have been receiving some good responses like below and a few crappy ones too (from B.M. and of course M.O). Still fighting the fight and hoping for the best.

Dear Ms. ------------:

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write and share your thoughts with me on the anti-gun legislation before us this session. As I am sure you know, the Judicial Proceedings Committee had its hearing on SB 281, on February 6, 2013.

Those who came down to Annapolis that day to attend the rally and to testify against the SB 281 were nothing short of amazing. In all my years in Annapolis, I have never witnessed so many people as compassionate about their rights as citizens, their willingness to do whatever it took to be there, and then waiting for many long hours for the opportunity to testify.

It was quite obvious that the leadership in Annapolis was not prepared for the hundreds and hundreds of people wanting to speak before the Committee. I totally disagreed with cutting testimony off at 9 p.m. and only allowing those who had waited so patiently to give their name, where they lived and their position on the bill. Everyone should have been allowed their time to express their feelings towards these bills, even if it meant going well into the night or the early hours of the following day.

Many of the Marylanders I have heard from are well aware of my long standing position to protect our Second Amendment rights. For those of you who may not know me, I want to assure you that I am opposed to any and all legislation that infringes upon your Second Amendment right to bear arms. My record is clear on this issue as I have never voted in favor of any “anti-gun” legislation.

Please be watchful of the House crossover bill HB 294. It is schedule for a hearing in the House on March 1, 2013 at 1:00 p.m. I learned this past Friday during the Senate Session that there is a push for a vote in Judicial Proceedings of SB 281 this coming week.

I will be working non-stop to defeat the Governor’s bills. Thank you for fighting the good fight with those of us who support the Second Amendment.

Sincerely,

Senator Nancy Jacobs
    District 34, Harford and Cecil County

Dear -------------,

Thank you for contacting my office with your concerns on gun control.
    The overwhelming consensus from my constituents on this issue is that I support our Second Amendment rights by voting against legislation to further restrict gun ownership.
    I have always supported the right to bear arms, and as tragic and emotional as Sandy Hook, and other such incidents have been, I do not believe that additional gun laws are the answer to eliminating such violence.
    My goal is to develop legislation which is effective in eliminating today’s current problems.
    As with most emotionally backed issues, both sides will provide challenging arguments. I will encourage discussion on areas such as:
    • tightening pre-gun purchase checks
    • additional mental health funding; screening in schools and society at large.
    • addressing violence in our society such as; T.V., movies, internet, video games.
    • school building security
    I appreciate knowing of your support on this front, and I will do my best to voice your views and uphold your constitutional choice for the right to bear arms.

Sincerely,
    Ed Reilly
    Maryland State Senator, District 33
    410-841-3568

I wrote many drafts from this angle to the 2A argument and everything in between:

Dear Senator Jacobs,

I am writing to you to express my deepest opposition to all new gun related legislation brought forth by Gov. OMalley. It is an infringement on my Second Amendment rights as a law abiding citizen. It is also a form of discrimination . Lastly it would put my personal safety, my life and the lives of my family at risk.

The discrimination aspect is with regard to those of us who are living paycheck to paycheck. By that I mean specifically the parts of the legislation that will require law abiding citizens to register firearms, obtain a license, get a background check with each purchase of a firearm, get fingerprinted, and take a 16 hour training course. This could easily cost each of us over 500$ in fees up front and more with any purchase of a new firearm. This simply is not something I can afford. I have been training with firearms for many years now. I know how to safely carry, store, and shoot all the firearms I own. I do not need a class, in fact I could teach a class. I do not need to be fingerprinted as I am not a criminal. I do not need a further in depth background check as I have already passed the one in place for registered firearms as is law now. I do not need to register my firearms as those serial numbers for regulated firearms were already submitted with my initial purchase and Instant Criminal Background Check System, or NICS.

These laws will do nothing to prevent those who wish us harm from obtaining firearms and using them against those who would become defenseless due to financial constraints of new requirements. Criminals will always find a way to obtain firearms and they do not care if it or the capacity of a magazine is banned. They look for the easy targets i.e. “Gun Free Zones”. And as such with this proposed legislation you are making Maryland a gun free zone buy disarming your citizens.

Police are not the first responders in a home invasion, mugging, rape attempt, etc. They arrive minutes later when seconds count. Please do not take away my right to the firearm of my choosing to defend myself. By imposing bans and multiple fees and time consuming training you will be doing just that.

I have lived in Maryland for all of my 40 years. And have contributed to this state with my taxes as part of the workforce for over 25 years. I am a nurse and work long rotating shifts and call hours. Going to and from work as a female in the dead of night is always a risk. I would hope that with opposing this legislation you would also look at becoming a “Right To Carry” state as well. Armed law abiding citizens are not the problem, criminals are. Please look at increasing conviction rates, imposing stiffer penalties, and grave consequences for criminal action. Please do not turn law abiding citizens into criminals by supporting O’ Malley.

Sincerely,

Atec

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    Maryland
    Forget the old article, Delegate Smigiel is asking for help with any unintended consequences you have found in SB281. Let him (and us) know.

I will say one thing about Delegate Smigiel . I sent him some information around 2:30 last night of course not expecting a reply back that late in the evening.
    It was within seconds he got right back to me !

Its nice to have him in our corner. :thumbsup: At least he is one Delegate that DOES work for a living.!!!!

Deep Thought

Jan 27, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    I will say one thing about Delegate Smigiel . I sent him some information around 2:30 last night of course not expecting a reply back that late in the evening.

Its nice to have him in our corner. :thumbsup: At least he is one Delegate that DOES work for a living.!!!!

Wow.. Now that is truly amazing. I can't imagine how much email these delegates get. Now I'll go add some more to the pile of the 2A unfriendliness. :)

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    Yep, some of these guys are definitely fighting the good fight. I hope we can provide them with the tools to make a difference when it comes to swaying opinion in our favor.

organized_mayhem

Legend in my own mind

Tell that to the Cecil County Patriots (tea party) group that loves to spend their time bashing him.

wr123

Feb 19, 2013
    Update:

So this Thursday 2/21/13 is the Judicial Proceedings Committee vote on SB 0281 as it stands before any amendments. We have to have this get opposed, before it gets to the full senate for vote.

Here are the 11 JPC members and their stance:

Brian E. Frosh, Chair - FOR (co-sponsor)
    Lisa A. Gladden, Vice-Chair - FOR
    James Brochin - Opposed as written
    Jennie M. Forehand - For
    Joseph M. Getty - Opposed
    Nancy Jacobs - Opposed
    C. Anthony Muse - Undecided
    Jamin B. (Jamie) Raskin - For
    Christopher B. Shank - Opposed
    Norman R. Stone, Jr. - Opposed
    Robert A. Zirkin - For

Currently we have a 5-5 opposed vote with one (Muse) still to go.

We NEED Senator Muse (D) to vote against this Bill to solidify a 6-5 opposed vote. Please contact him especially because everyone else has stated their stance already.

C. ANTHONY MUSE
    Democrat, District 26, Prince George's County
    James Senate Office Building, Room 304
    11 Bladen St., Annapolis, MD 21401
    (410) 841-3092, (301) 858-3092
    1-800-492-7122, ext. 3092 (toll free)
    e-mail: anthony.muse@senate.state.md.us

Other members of the JPC contact info can be found here: http://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanual/05sen/html/com/05judp.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom