• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Thanks for posting this.

I propose a ban on digital chess games. Simply too distracting.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Unlike fsa2013...this bill is well crafted...

Its veto bait..and .I would not advise Hogan to veto if I were on his staff...unless we can kill it in committee or damage it with amendment..

We need numbers...

Start thinking of amendments ... maybe limits on fees... exceptions for ccw holders.. HSL holders...etc..

Otherwise to very hard to stop as written..

That's my no BS option..

And we need closer to thousands to show up to stop it.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Unlike fsa2013...this bill is well crafted...

Its veto bait..and .I would not advise Hogan to veto if I were on his staff...unless we can kill it in committee or damage it with amendment..

We need numbers...

Start thinking of amendments ... maybe limits on fees... exceptions for ccw holders.. HSL holders...etc..

Otherwise to very hard to stop as written..

That's my no BS option..

And we need closer to thousands to show up to stop it.

Really? Republicans in the legislature have no leverage. They don't even have enough members to block a veto override. This thing will only die if the leadership wills it or the fear of God is put in these people. They have to believe people will remember this bill three years from now. I have my doubts.

Any bill in this vein should be anathema to gun people. I am shocked and perplexed how you can advise signing it.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Really? Republicans in the legislature have no leverage. They don't even have enough members to block a veto override. This thing will only die if the leadership wills it or the fear of God is put in these people. They have to believe people will remember this bill three years from now. I have my doubts.

Any bill in this vein should be anathema to gun people. I am shocked and perplexed how you can advise signing it.

I advise the governor, in the hypothetical context of his staff member looking out for his interests, not to take the veto bait.. that's hardly the same as my personal support for the bill,approval of same or advice that Hogan sign it.
    Even as a staff member I would say let it be if possible... law by default rather than risk an override which he will likely loose.

It's veto bait... as you say this issue is well known and could easily been done before... perhaps nit wit moms did their homework on this or Blomberg..and are pushing it now...but my gut says its mostly veto bait.

We know and they know it has no effect on crime...but its a political mine field for Hogan...and one we help lay by pounding on him to do the impossible--

Now if we put numbers in Anappolis...and my number has always been 10k or better..then we may kill it in committee..

But no, I don't like the bill..I just don't think Hogan should step on a mine just to appease us..

That's not wining the long game.

Put 20k in Annapolis and maybe even with my taking the viewpoint of a Hogan staffer a veto may be worth the risk...but. yes it will still be overiden.

Realistically I am surprised we did not see this bill years ago--

CrazyIvan

Crazy Ivan
    Aug 2, 2013
    Scaggsville (Howard County)
    I advise the governor, in the hypothetical context of his staff member looking out for his interests, not to take the veto bait.. that's hardly the same as my personal support for the bill,approval of same or advice that Hogan sign it.
    Even as a staff member I would say let it be if possible... law by default rather than risk an override which he will likely loose.

It's veto bait... as you say this issue is well known and could easily been done before... perhaps nit wit moms did their homework on this or Blomberg..and are pushing it now...but my gut says its mostly veto bait.

We know and they know it has no effect on crime...but its a political mine field for Hogan...and one we help lay by pounding on him to do the impossible--

Now if we put numbers in Anappolis...and my number has always been 10k or better..then we may kill it in committee..

But no, I don't like the bill..I just don't think Hogan should step on a mine just to appease us..

That's not wining the long game.

Put 20k in Annapolis and maybe even with my taking the viewpoint of a Hogan staffer a veto may be worth the risk...but. yes it will still be overiden.

Realistically I am surprised we did not see this bill years ago--

How are we winning the long game? You have to at some point win the short game to win the game (unless you are willing to nuke the field when losing the short game doesn't help you gain yardage)! They pass whatever legislation they want, and we can't stop them. We push hard to elect a Republican governor, who we now see is toothless and has his vetos overturned on any offensive legislation, we give donations and support legal action against bad gun laws, but the Dems win there too because they just appeal to the point where the law is tied up in court for the rest of our lives or they get to a judge appointed by a democrat. The former head of our MSP Licensing Division spoke at our gun club meeting the other night. He talked about being ordered not to testify against FSA 2013. It's a shame he remembers his oath to uphold the constitution now that he's no longer in office, but not when we needed his testimony most. In my career, I'm ethically bound to be honest no matter the consequences to myself. What I learned from him is that the MSP is corrupt and our elected officials are more corrupt.

Basically, you're telling us that no matter what we do, our right to privately sell any long guns in MD is soon to be officially over.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Basically, you're telling us that no matter what we do, our right to privately sell any long guns in MD will soon be officially over.

FITY.

As much as I'd like to believe otherwise this will pass. I don't think 10k plus in Annapolis would change their minds. They know it'd just be us, the crazy gun nuts, not the sheeple they depend upon to stay in power there. Most of the sheeple will not even hear about this or the outcry against it. Those that do will have forgotten when their elections roll around again.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    FITY. As much as I'd like to believe otherwise this will pass. I don't think 10k plus in Annapolis would change their minds. They know it'd just be us, the crazy gun nuts, not the sheeple they depend upon to stay in power there. Most of the sheeple will not even hear about this or the outcry against it. Those that do will have forgotten when their elections roll around again.

The hunters may well come out for this one.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    How is this veto bait? I don't even know what that means. Are you saying this will hurt Hogan politically if he vetoes it and then it goes on to an override of the veto? If so, I just really don't think being pro-gun is going to hurt Hogan politically now or for re-election. It is a small issue. Forcing the override forces more people to publicly support it, which WILL hurt 3/5 of the assembly politically. Not many (any?) people ever lost an election for being pro-gun, that can't be said for the opposite.

awdnick2986

MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2013
    What are the dates that we can attend for these bills? I would like to get more involved in the process but I work 7 days a week so I want to plan ahead.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    I don't recall hearing about this bill when the MSI rep spoke at my gun club last month. Did this go under the radar or was it introduced at the last minute?

Last minute

Introduced 2/5/2016

All of the negative bills were introduced within the past 8 days (the first true "anti" bill that I am tracking was HB0573, Delegate Clippinger's "Enhanced Penalties" Bill - http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?pid=billpage&stab=01&id=hb0573&tab=subject3&ys=2016RS - which was introduced on 2/3/2016). At 2A Tuesday, one of the reasons for not talking much about bills was due to the fact that all that was available at that time was conjecture, since none of them had been introduced in their respective houses.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I don't recall hearing about this bill when the MSI rep spoke at my gun club last month. Did this go under the radar or was it introduced at the last minute?

It wasn't out yet when we spoke at your club.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    IMHO, this is a must veto for Hogan. If he does not veto it, he will loose much of the voting base that put him in office. That is a win for the democrats! It would surely mean another gun grabbing democrat in the governor's mansion come next election. The democrats would be able to pass anything they want if that should happen. If Hogan veto's it, he shows that he has the balls to stand up to the democrats when necessary. A veto would finally force the democrats who support this kind of legislation out into the public eye and reveal them for what they are. It will cost them votes in the next election.

CrazyIvan

Crazy Ivan
    Aug 2, 2013
    Scaggsville (Howard County)
    IMHO, this is a must veto for Hogan. If he does not veto it, he will loose much of the voting base that put him in office. That is a win for the democrats! It would surely mean another gun grabbing democrat in the governor's mansion come next election. The democrats would be able to pass anything they want if that should happen. If Hogan veto's it, he shows that he has the balls to stand up to the democrats when necessary. A veto would finally force the democrats who support this kind of legislation out into the public eye and reveal them for what they are. It will cost them votes in the next election.

I agree. It's time the people we elect stand up for those who helped put them on office.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom