SB1 (2023) - Criminal Law - Wearing, Carrying, or Transporting Firearms - Restrictions (Gun Safety Act of 2023)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    I suspect they were thinking of just banning wear and carry in a vehicle. But the language bans transport of any firearm entirely unless you have a handgun permit.
    yes I have just read it several times. very bottom of page 7 and top of page 8

the section 8 does not apply
    {I} if the firearm is
    a. unloaded.... AND
    b. carried in an enclosed.. AND

{II} The person possess a valid permit....

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    I suspect they were thinking of just banning wear and carry in a vehicle. But the language bans transport of any firearm entirely unless you have a handgun permit.
    I almost wish we didn't correct these assumed mistakes in the bills and just let them pass it. Shoot, support it and let them do something assanine like this.

Maybe I have more faith in the courts than I should.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Evie is a good friend of mine and as you can see she is a firebrand.
    We need to get her more active. Tell I said nice job, and if we ever meet, I owe her a beer (wine, wiskey, whatever)

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I almost wish we didn't correct these assumed mistakes in the bills and just let them pass it. Shoot, support it and let them do something assanine like this.

Hence why I am signed up in support, pass it, make it law, let's get it struck down as Unconstitutional and collect 1983 fees.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

With all the bad, I doubt they'll fix it in time. Maybe they will. As has been pointed out today, almost the entire thing is unworkable and bad. Its hard to fix ALL of that. Hopefully there is just plain enough evidence if they pull the entire thing.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    With all the bad, I doubt they'll fix it in time. Maybe they will. As has been pointed out today, almost the entire thing is unworkable and bad. Its hard to fix ALL of that. Hopefully there is just plain enough evidence if they pull the entire thing.
    We can only hope.

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    Well done, everyone!

It cannot be emphasized enough how successful this day was in Annapolis when news coverage such as this WJZ-TV video package below puts our pro-Second Amendment and pro-Constitution interviews as the lead, and the Mommies have to settle for whining at the bitter end.

This is a sea change in our news coverage:

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Upon further read section C on page 8

A person may not wear and carry or transport a firearm in or on

(1) a public conveyance ( aka your own car )
    (2) public conveyance terminal

etc etc

so even thought the part in my reply above says it must be unloaded, holstered and have a permit. The section C says you cant even transport a gun at all even with a permit. As there is no exceptions to this section.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018

etc etc

so even thought the part in my reply above says it must be unloaded, holstered and have a permit. The section C says you even transport a gun at all even with a permit. As there is no exceptions to this section.
    I truely think this bill was carefully worded to be confusing and to ban all transport and carry. I have spent the last hour reading it, and I am talking just 2 pages of it.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    posting both parts that are a total ban on transport for those with no permit and the ban on even those with permit.

I have been doing some very deep reading of the bill.

There are a few things that did not get read deeply. I think the last min change of the bill was done to slip in 2 ways that totally ban almost any and all carry and transport of handguns in Maryland.

very bottom of page 7 and top of page 8

the section 8 does not apply
    {I} if the firearm is
    a. unloaded.... AND
    b. carried in an enclosed.. AND

{II} The person possess a valid permit....

this says you cant even transport a handgun if you dont have a permit to carry. its says has to be unloaded, AND cased AND have a permit.

It gets worse.

etc etc

The definition of public conveyance states a vehicle registered under the law to be driven on the road. The top part says it must be unloaded, holstered and have a permit. The section C says you cant even transport a gun at all even with a permit. As there is no exceptions to this section.

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    Again, we get the lead interview here in this FOX5 DC piece, and the pic is of Patriots!

(paging Raineman and Doc, please answer the 2A courtesy phone … )

1756FABB-AA58-43A9-B852-0706F517F501.jpeg

18DDAD93-4C57-49D6-BDF0-E9C4A38501A8.jpeg

Many thanks to the Eastern Shore Patriots!

This is what success looks like in the media:

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    A huge shout out to all that went and held signs, spoke out and testified in the hearing. To Eric i am grateful to know you, i wish people understood the star and the meaning of it in context.
    Education is important and used correctly is valid IMHO.

Great job by all and you should be proud of your work. I believe your time and effort will pay off.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Well done, everyone!

It cannot be emphasized enough how successful this day was in Annapolis when news coverage such as this WJZ-TV video package below puts our pro-Second Amendment and pro-Constitution interviews as the lead, and the Mommies have to settle for whining at the bitter end.

This is a sea change in our news coverage:

I haven't had a chance to watch yet, but did they get equal time? I remember one of my college writing classes when writing a persuasive argument paper the instructor/professor said to save the most important argument for last because that will be freshest in the reader's mind.

They could be using the same concept with putting the unfulfilled mommies second.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom