SB1 (2023) - Criminal Law - Wearing, Carrying, or Transporting Firearms - Restrictions (Gun Safety Act of 2023)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    What Welder said.
    Thanks everyone!
    I no longer have the tolerance for sausage making from this town and am afraid I would have been kicked out with E., however I did have duct tape and could have fixed that finger right up!

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I haven't had a chance to watch yet, but did they get equal time? I remember one of my college writing classes when writing a persuasive argument paper the instructor/professor said to save the most important argument for last because that will be freshest in the reader's mind.

They could be using the same concept with putting the unfulfilled mommies second.
    That holds with an audience paying attention. But in this case, probably not, given the average viewer has the attention span of a gnat and stopped hearing what's being said after the first five or six sentences.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    I haven't had a chance to watch yet, but did they get equal time? I remember one of my college writing classes when writing a persuasive argument paper the instructor/professor said to save the most important argument for last because that will be freshest in the reader's mind.

They could be using the same concept with putting the unfulfilled mommies second.
    Let's just say that the anti's probably got an hour and the pro-gun people got like six hours.

Wayneb

Dec 31, 2018
    Ellicott City, MD
    It sounds like the revision will put ranges & LGS out of business if people can't transport to or from them. By the time the courts correct this (no guarantee) the whole gun industry in MD will be destroyed.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Upon further read section C on page 8

A person may not wear and carry or transport a firearm in or on

(1) a public conveyance ( aka your own car )
    (2) public conveyance terminal

etc etc

so even thought the part in my reply above says it must be unloaded, holstered and have a permit. The section C says you cant even transport a gun at all even with a permit. As there is no exceptions to this section.
    Please note when you add your own language.
    A "public conveyance" is not "aka your own car."

(2) (i) “Public conveyance” means a conveyance to which the public or a portion of the public has access to and a right to use for transportation.

(ii) “Public conveyance” includes an airplane, vessel, bus, railway car, school vehicle, and subway car.

This is actually similar to DC law for carry. BUT, in DC you are allowed to use the subway, taxi, bus or uber to transport your firearm unloaded, say with mag and rounds in a small lock pouch and gun in another, both inside your backpack, whereas this seems to prohibit that in Md. Also the "real property of another" and "public places" language in proposed Md law makes DC restrictions seem like nothing in comparison

Redacted above, maybe we should take it to the WC or a special subsection set up so the Karen’s and their cucks can’t view it? By the way to all the Mothers who demand action, you can start off by sucking my dick….
    The Water Cooler costs $10 now. Anybody who wants to can easily find what we're writing.
    My original idea about taking all the "in favor" slots was done privately so the antis didn't have a chance to react before we accomplished our mission. Based on yesterday's testimonies, it worked.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    It sounds like the revision will put ranges & LGS out of business if people can't transport to or from them. By the time the courts correct this (no guarantee) the whole gun industry in MD will be destroyed.
    I think a TRO would be likely within a week or two after the law goes into effect, especially if there are multiple suits from different parties so a single hardcore Anti2A judge couldn't derail the effort.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    posting both parts that are a total ban on transport for those with no permit and the ban on even those with permit.

I have been doing some very deep reading of the bill.

There are a few things that did not get read deeply. I think the last min change of the bill was done to slip in 2 ways that totally ban almost any and all carry and transport of handguns in Maryland.

very bottom of page 7 and top of page 8

the section 8 does not apply
    {I} if the firearm is
    a. unloaded.... AND
    b. carried in an enclosed.. AND

{II} The person possess a valid permit....

this says you cant even transport a handgun if you dont have a permit to carry. its says has to be unloaded, AND cased AND have a permit.

It gets worse.

Upon further read section C on page 8

A person may not wear and carry or transport a firearm in or on

(1) a public conveyance ( aka your own car )
    (2) public conveyance terminal

etc etc

The definition of public conveyance states a vehicle registered under the law to be driven on the road. The top part says it must be unloaded, holstered and have a permit. The section C says you cant even transport a gun at all even with a permit. As there is no exceptions to this section.
    A correction, this is not carry and transport of handguns.

This law is written to say ALL firearms. It no longer is regulated firearms. This applies to wear, carry, or transport of ANY firearm. Anything more than a finger and thumb gun will be banned anywhere in Maryland that isn't your own property.

It also includes a ban on firearms on any state or subdivision of the state owned or controlled property. That is most roads in the state. So even if you wanted to carry a gun on your bicycle or walk to your destination, you can't on a road. Or for that matter sidewalk, unless they are private. Now, I don't know how easement is being used in the law here. I haven't looked that closely or what roads and sidewalks are considered. That MIGHT allow transport or carry on roads and sidewalks. But you still couldn't do that in a vehicle. And since they are banned almost everywhere anyway, it isn't like you can really carry them TO any place.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    When is the voting on these bills?
    In the committee, it's literally whenever the Chair decides to hold a vote. Any bill also needs to make it through the House Judiciary Committee, too. Once it's out of committee, it can be voted on on the floor of either chamber in as little as a single physical day, if the shady artifice of multiple "Legislative Days" are used to ram bills forward through 2nd & 3rd Reader. And if there are any differences between House and Senate bills, those need to be worked out in conference so both chambers are voting on identical language. That can take minutes to weeks depending on how obstinate Committee Chairs are about their specific versions. A lot of anti 2A bills have died in reconciliation.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Since we are the opposition we always go last.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I was only able to watch about the first half of the testimony on SB1, what I saw was great. Loved the shuck and jive at the beginning when the committee was asking Waldosterker or whatever his name is about specifics on his bill and dodged and deflected giving a straight answer.
    Dr. Lott and the first group up were great. As were the so called pro bill group, pass it so we can get to court, also the drunken guns attacking.

Just wish someone had asked if this 2023 safely bill would be as effective as the 2013 gun safety bill in reducing crime. Also the crap about stolen guns increase should have been tied back to bill if you had leave your gun in the car is an opportunity for theft.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Please note when you add your own language.
    A "public conveyance" is not "aka your own car."

(2) (i) “Public conveyance” means a conveyance to which the public or a portion of the public has access to and a right to use for transportation.

(ii) “Public conveyance” includes an airplane, vessel, bus, railway car, school vehicle, and subway car.
    Nope read bottom of page 6 section 8 (3) (II) Line number 7.
    (II) "public conveyance" includes....
    then line 7 says "a motor vehicle required to be registered under title 13 of the transportation article."

Here is article 13 it covers 100% of all vehicles titled for use on the roads, plus others. They did not restrict it to a sub section of article 13, they said the whole thing.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    In the committee, it's literally whenever the Chair decides to hold a vote. Any bill also needs to make it through the House Judiciary Committee, too.
    Before it goes to the House, it has to have two additional floor votes in the Senate.

Once it's out of committee, it can be voted on on the floor of either chamber in as little as a single physical day, if the shady artifice of multiple "Legislative Days" are used to ram bills forward through 2nd & 3rd Reader.
    That only happens on Sine Die as they have to meet the State Constitutional requirement for 90 days in session. Legislative days do not equal actual days, and since they tend to take weekends and holidays off at the beginning of the session, they need to be made up at the end of session.

And if there are any differences between House and Senate bills, those need to be worked out in conference so both chambers are voting on identical language.
    Conference committee is only if the changes by the House are not accepted by the Senate. There is no guarantee that a bill survives conference committee.

That can take minutes to weeks depending on how obstinate Committee Chairs are about their specific versions. A lot of anti 2A bills have died in reconciliation.
    Yep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom