SB1 (2023) - Criminal Law - Wearing, Carrying, or Transporting Firearms - Restrictions (Gun Safety Act of 2023)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Did this get posted yet? @eruby making the news!

Read to the end. :)
    I'm inappropriate, disgusting, AND an anti semite

Hopefully I won't have to pull a Roger Staubach, or Ronnie Lott

IMG_20230207_165123131_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230208_095959153.jpg

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    .... and like clockwork, it looks like a house bill involving W&C (and doubling the application fees) is about to be introduced. Seems to make several current disqualifiers doubly super secret illegal and lowers the bar on others (a DUI would be a disqualifier).

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    The constant chit show fighting for our God given rights and our Constitutional rights is sickening. They won't stop the nonsense and breaking the law.
    The swear an oath to uphold the Constitution and fail in every way and play these games.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living

"The issue got very heated both before and after the hearing, with Waldstreicher, who is Jewish, accusing gun rights protesters of anti-Semitism for a sign that read: “WALDSTREICHER WANTS TO PARTY LIKE IT’S 1938.” One protester explained that the sign actually meant the opposite – that the lawmakers were taking away the right to bear arms as the Nazis did before the Holocaust, according to a tweet from Bryan P. Sears of the Maryland Daily Record."

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    Howdy Doody attacks Straw Man!
    Did this get posted yet? @eruby making the news!

Read to the end. :)
    “You have a choice. If you believe that anyone should have any gun anywhere, at any time, then I imagine that you’ll be voting no on this bill,” Waldstreicher said at Tuesday’s hearing. “But if you’re like me and have kids… If you’re like me and want them to live safely… If you’re like me and want to go to a concert, or [Baltimore] Ravens game or children’s playground and know that the guy sitting next to you is not carrying an automatic weapon, [then] you’ll join me in voting for the Gun Safety Act of 2023.”

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Nope read bottom of page 6 section 8 (3) (II) Line number 7.
    (II) "public conveyance" includes....
    then line 7 says "a motor vehicle required to be registered under title 13 of the transportation article."

Here is article 13 it covers 100% of all vehicles titled for use on the roads, plus others. They did not restrict it to a sub section of article 13, they said the whole thing.
    No, not same reference. Public conveyances exclude private cars not used as taxis or ride share in all the Us states I can find including Maryland.
    Instead of partial quotes from no specific place, can you provide a exact link where Maryland law , does something done in no other state -- defines your private car when not operating for hire, eg as an uber, as a "public conveyance."

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    Apparently the committee chair doesn’t like the 1st Amendment either. He didn’t even let Eric attempt any explanation and simply said it was anti-Semitic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whoever was ejected from the hearing yesterday may wish to consider filing a suit against the Chair for violating Article 10 of the Maryland Declaration of Rights, which stipulates: "Article 10. That freedom of speech and debate, or proceedings in the Legislature, ought not to be impeached in any court of Judicature." There are probably other Articles that were violated in the ejection, too.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Whoever was ejected from the hearing yesterday may wish to consider filing a suit against the Chair for violating Article 10 of the Maryland Declaration of Rights, which stipulates: "Article 10. That freedom of speech and debate, or proceedings in the Legislature, ought not to be impeached in any court of Judicature." There are probably other Articles that were violated in the ejection, too.

I don’t agree with him being told to leave in the first place but he agreed to leave. I believe that’s slightly different than being dragged out but it’s complete bullsh*t either way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    No, not same reference. Public conveyances exclude private cars not used as taxis or ride share in all the Us states I can find including Maryland.
    Instead of partial quotes from no specific place, can you provide a exact link where Maryland law , does something done in no other state -- defines your private car when not operating for hire, eg as an uber, as a "public conveyance."
    Sure it may under existing law. But this bill defines public conveyance to include every vehicle that is registered under title 13. It does not say part XX of article 13, it says article 13, which would include everything article 13 covers. So this bill redefines a public conveyance when it comes to firearms. please read the below from the bill.

edit to add. It may not be the intention, but it is the effect. Thats what happens when they re write a law over night, there may be un intended consequences

XYqWGgz.png

Last edited:

SigNerd

Feb 24, 2015
    Sure it may under existing law. But this bill defines public conveyance to include every vehicle that is registered under title 13. It does not say part XX of article 13, it says article 13, which would include everything article 13 covers. So this bill redefines a public conveyance when it comes to firearms. please read the below from the bill.

edit to add. It may not be the intention, but it is the effect. Thats what happens when they re write a law over night, there may be un intended consequences

XYqWGgz.png
    Your private car wouldn't be in line with the first part "a conveyance to which the public or a portion of the public has access to and a right to use for transportation." No member of the public has a right to use my car. My reading is that public conveyance includes that list of things provided the first part (public has a right to access) is true.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Your private car wouldn't be in line with the first part "a conveyance to which the public or a portion of the public has access to and a right to use for transportation." No member of the public has a right to use my car. My reading is that public conveyance includes that list of things provided the first part (public has a right to access) is true.
    Normally I would agree with you. But the way I read it it says the things the public has access to but includes the additional following 7 items. I am just reading it how I think a court could/would argue. Also please note that the law linked below calls out school busses but this law adds vehicles that must be registered, so to me it looks like an expansion of the definition.

Also under MD law dealing with public conveyance, they state that
    (b) For purposes of a prosecution under this section, a public conveyance or a public place need not be devoted solely to public use.

So the existing already law that states it does not need to be solely for public use to be prosecuted. quoted above and link below.

Md law public conveyance

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom