SB1 (2023) - Criminal Law - Wearing, Carrying, or Transporting Firearms - Restrictions (Gun Safety Act of 2023)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ustasc

Jan 14, 2014
    It's perfectly fine, and currently legal. If you don't like it I really don't care.
    I see. Well, it's not that I do or do not "like" it. However, it is not a good idea from a criminal enforcement perspective. It could be argued that it reaches reasonable articulable suspicion from a law enforcement perspective. It is not illegal for you to walk down the street with an AR-15 unloaded but, it is RAS for a stop. You could argue that the RAS is non existent because you are not breaking the law. However, RAS is not probable cause, so you don't have to break the law to be questioned as to why you are walking around with a loaded firearm. RAS is easily established by the existence of extensive mass shootings. Moreover, it just isn't a great idea. Jumping off the roof of your own house isn't illegal but its not a good idea.

ustasc

Jan 14, 2014

Well multiple reasons... However, it is not a good idea from a criminal enforcement perspective. It could be argued that it reaches reasonable articulable suspicion from a law enforcement perspective. It is not illegal for you to walk down the street with an AR-15 unloaded but, it is RAS for a stop. You could argue that the RAS is non existent because you are not breaking the law. However, RAS is not probable cause, so you don't have to break the law to be questioned as to why you are walking around with a loaded firearm. RAS is easily established by the existence of extensive mass shootings. Moreover, it just isn't a great idea. Jumping off the roof of your own house isn't illegal but its not a good idea.

While I understand that people are upset, just as I am, carrying an open firearm down the street in Maryland is a recipe for a problem. Especially since we don't want to create an image that we are in fact "gun nuts" walking around with firearms because the next bill that comes out will limit us even further and they will cite examples of us walking around openly carrying guns in an attempt to make people upset. They will point the finger and say I told you so.

I completely understand the idea of screw this nonsense but, again, to do something to prove a point that will fall on deaf ears is pointless. You will make the news in a bad way. It will not improve anything, actually the reverse is entirely possible. Wait for the court action to progress through the system.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    It appears currently it is just dwellings unless posted by private property.
    The amendment by the House just says property, not dwellings. Property is further defined in the amendment as a building not the adjacent land.

That sounds like a ban on carrying everywhere except where specifically posted it's allowed but perhaps property is defined elsewhere as dwellings? Seems unlikely considering they specifically defined property in the amendment.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Well multiple reasons... However, it is not a good idea from a criminal enforcement perspective. It could be argued that it reaches reasonable articulable suspicion from a law enforcement perspective. It is not illegal for you to walk down the street with an AR-15 unloaded but, it is RAS for a stop. You could argue that the RAS is non existent because you are not breaking the law. However, RAS is not probable cause, so you don't have to break the law to be questioned as to why you are walking around with a loaded firearm. RAS is easily established by the existence of extensive mass shootings. Moreover, it just isn't a great idea. Jumping off the roof of your own house isn't illegal but its not a good idea.

While I understand that people are upset, just as I am, carrying an open firearm down the street in Maryland is a recipe for a problem. Especially since we don't want to create an image that we are in fact "gun nuts" walking around with firearms because the next bill that comes out will limit us even further and they will cite examples of us walking around openly carrying guns in an attempt to make people upset. They will point the finger and say I told you so.

I completely understand the idea of screw this nonsense but, again, to do something to prove a point that will fall on deaf ears is pointless. You will make the news in a bad way. It will not improve anything, actually the reverse is entirely possible. Wait for the court action to progress through the system.
    Mkay. Freaking 2A Butters....

EXIT WOUND

Sep 22, 2011
    A whole lot of this ^^^
    `
    They really think "more guns is not the answer" not realizing the real question. If criminals are criminals because they ignore laws, what stops a "mass murderer?" Certainly not another law like restricting permits that wouldn't affect them anyway.

They really do live in a fantasy world where they ignore the most basic problem of criminals.
    EXACTLY.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD

I've open carried plenty without a single interaction with anyone. I think people believe we are watched much much more closely than we are.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

Plenty of cops throughout the state have seen pistols on hips and have not approached them. I personally know plenty of AA County cops who glance at them and continue on with their day.

But you do you, as they say.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Personally, I'd like to return to pancake holsters, until October.

I went IWB when Monkey County took their dump on SCOTUS, and was waiting for Da Judge to do his thing; seems increasingly pointless to wait any longer.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    An interesting aspect of SB1 is, in one section it emphasizes being concealed, then in another section it requires that you tell everyone you are carrying to get permission to be in their business. :sad20:

ETA: Kind of defeats the concept of being concealed.

Last edited:

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    An interesting aspect of SB1 is, in one section it emphasizes being concealed, then in another section it requires that you tell everyone you are carrying to get permission to be in their business. :sad20:
    Wearing a WWNC t-shirt should be ample notice to the businesses.

Georges2nd

Aug 30, 2022
    Upper marlboro
    Expect a lot of bolt cutters walking out of hardware stores, not only are they good for busting a window of a car out, quick snip and away goes the firearm lock box. Which can then be opened at their leisure in a safe place.
    Buy stock in home depo sales on bolt cutters makes stock goes up

RCSB

Jul 29, 2022
    Maryland
    2E52DC12-C70C-4D96-B442-7402C3859F8B.jpeg

Are they bringing back the G&S?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member