SB1 (2023) - Criminal Law - Wearing, Carrying, or Transporting Firearms - Restrictions (Gun Safety Act of 2023)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    I thought Good and Substantial never left it was now allowed to include Self-defense; whereas before it was not.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    So a gang banger can shoot as many people in the city as they want and get probation, but if I get caught carrying ( with a valid permit) in a restaurant that serves alcohol I go to jail for a year?

I guess the one year sentence also makes it a permanent “no go” for future gun purchases or permits?

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Why you leave us in suspense?
    I agree.

Also last night I looked into what is needed to start a security company, figure having 10 or 20 licensed security guards on call 24/7 would not be a bad idea. But then I thought about the insurance that would be needed.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    So a gang banger can shoot as many people in the city as they want and get probation, but if I get caught carrying ( with a valid permit) in a restaurant that serves alcohol I go to jail for a year?

I guess the one year sentence also makes it a permanent “no go” for future gun purchases or permits?
    1 year is not disqualifying

letmeoutpax

Nov 12, 2013
    St. Mary's
    The ban on places of public accommodation provisions are all gone in the current bill. Carry in private places open to the public is permitted with a permit unless a gfz sign is posted by the owner. Only carry into a private dwelling (your home) is presumptively banned, but is permitted with permission of the owner. As to the shoulds, I agree, but trespass law is part of the American tradition back to the founding. So the owner can post if he wants

Is this still true?

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    IMO we really need to show renters that these people just gave landlords so much power. With the bill they are allowing land lords the right to ban anything inside the rental. Landlord doesn’t like alcohol well they can claim private property rights now.
    Doesn't the new law deal with wear & carry permits? When you possess, wear, carry a firearm in your home you are not doing it pursuant to that statute.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Is this still true?
    As I said a few posts back, carry is largely banned by default in buildings everywhere except with express permission. MSI updated their website confirming this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230411_144326_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20230411_144326_Chrome.jpg
      130.7 KB · Views: 112

LAC_MD

Oct 18, 2022
    Towson

Designed to turn everyone into a criminal so you can’t carry ANYWHERE in the country..

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Yup. That is certainly how they've played the game for a long time, and we have too sometimes - just not as effectively. Mostly because it goes against the grain of the normal constitutionalist/conservative mindset to use tricks (like bundling altogether unrelated matters into a single bill) to get stuff done. But since the Dems have completely abandoned any thought of acting in good faith, here we are.

Agreed. Problem is that we are in a fight and there’s no such thing as a fair fight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Deep carry where and when lawful, don't speed, don't bring attention to yourself, no stickers on your truck. Donate to MSI.

Deep carry where lawful? Lol. Why? If you’re carrying lawfully who gives a crap if you accidentally print? Not against the law.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I see. Well, it's not that I do or do not "like" it. However, it is not a good idea from a criminal enforcement perspective. It could be argued that it reaches reasonable articulable suspicion from a law enforcement perspective. It is not illegal for you to walk down the street with an AR-15 unloaded but, it is RAS for a stop. You could argue that the RAS is non existent because you are not breaking the law. However, RAS is not probable cause, so you don't have to break the law to be questioned as to why you are walking around with a loaded firearm. RAS is easily established by the existence of extensive mass shootings. Moreover, it just isn't a great idea. Jumping off the roof of your own house isn't illegal but its not a good idea.

You do understand that plenty of people open carry in MD and have never had an issue, correct? If police want to ask someone for their permit and it is shown to them then it’s end of story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom